Any MUST DO'S in Alaska

wesport

We did that same cruise 2 years ago and loved it. We did the Bering Sea crab tour in Ketchikan. They showed us all the ways fish and crabs are caught. It was awesome. Plus we saw lots of wildlife.

My daughter talks about it all the time and wants to go back and do it again.

I thin DaveOK nailed it spot on...

we have been to Alaska twice, took the Whale watching escursion in Juneau with Alan Marine both times, If we go back, we will take it again.

Not listed on Daves list, I would have to add:

The White Pass and Yukon RR in Skagway - even if you are not a trainiac... the view coming back down of the ships in the harbor is quite amazing.

And don't forget to try the Alaskan brewery beers on board the ship and at all the eating establishments in all the towns. Speaking of eating... fish and chips in the smallest hole in the wall eateries go around the corner from the main streets - crowds are smaller - can't get any fresher fish!

See the whales - watch from the ship - sit near the windows at lunch ! Watch for the "blows" (FREE!)

I agree with the Skagway railroad excursion! I did not mention it since the OP was not going to Skagway on this cruise.

We did the Bering Sea crab tour in Ketchikan. They showed us all the ways fish and crabs are caught. It was awesome. Plus we saw lots of wildlife.

Agreed. Fabulous tour.

I've never seen the TV show, so thought I wouldn't like the tour, until someone on this board suggested I try it. He was so right.

...coming from South Florida.

We did the helicopter/glacier landing one one of our earlier Alaska jaunts with a couple from Florida. It was pretty warm in Juneau when we arrived at the airport. We were somewhat surprised to see this couple dressed in shorts and flip-flops. Let me tell you: They were cold on the glacier!!

We're doing our third Alaska cruise in a few weeks. We haven't been through Glacier Bay yet so we're doing the Westerdam. We also have not done Buchart Gardens, so we're doing that this time. On a previous cruise we did an Orca cruise when we hit Victoria that was exceptional.

• 2 weeks later...

After much reading and searching. Here is what we scheduled.

Juneau- Pilots Choice Helicopter with 2 landings.

Sitka- Volcano Coast on Ocean Raft.

Ketchikan-Mist Fiords by float plane

Victoria- The Gardens.

Why not see as much as you can.

After much reading and searching. Here is what we scheduled.

Juneau- Pilots Choice Helicopter with 2 landings.

Sitka- Volcano Coast on Ocean Raft.

Ketchikan-Mist Fiords by float plane

Victoria- The Gardens.

Why not see as much as you can.

Fantastic!! On my first cruise, on my first excursion I helicoptered to a glacier out of Skagway. We walked around on the surface of the "river of ice" It was an awesome experience. They outfitted us with boots and jackets. It was slippery on the ice but we could see into the deep blue holes from the surface, where water drains... I felt like Alice in Wonderland but didn't want to slide down them! I could hear the creaking and grinding of the ice sliding ever so slowly along the valley. Plus we flew up the steep face of the ice and got to peer into the crevasses. What an experience! m--