Nervous about the Sensation! + trundle bed question

We are going on the Sensation later this year and we have a very large group going - I have read some not so good reviews so I'm nervous. Is it REALLY that bad? I've been on several other ships (valor, dream, etc) and I'm in it to relax and have a good time so outdated decor and such doesn't bother me. How is the service? And the food?

Also, has anyone ever had a trundle bed interior room? Any pictures?

Thanks!

We are going on the Sensation later this year and we have a very large group going - I have read some not so good reviews so I'm nervous. Is it REALLY that bad? I've been on several other ships (valor, dream, etc) and I'm in it to relax and have a good time so outdated decor and such doesn't bother me. How is the service? And the food?

Thanks!

Can't help you with the trundle bed, but I've been on the Sensation. In fact, all of my cruises thus far have been on Fantasy Class ships, so I don't have anything to compare them to.

The Fantasy Class ships are what they are ... smaller, older ships. The service is still great, the decor tacky, and everything is impeccably clean. IMO, the food is great (pre-American Table, but I'm not sure if the Sensation has converted yet). We typically eat more in the dining room and not on the Lido, so I can't really comment on the Lido.

Edited by Schoifmom

We enjoyed our time on Sensation and this year on the Elation (same class). The fantasy class ships have a great location for the Serenity deck - away from crowds and actually serene. I like the layout of the lido dining and love that you can easily find a place to eat outside. While we miss some of the 2.0 features, the crew really makes up for that. Great shows, good food, roomy cabin (though no experience with trundle bed).

Thanks!

What did you read that was bad?:confused:

What did you read that was bad?:confused:

I've read the ship looks and feels old, the food is bad, the service is bad, etc. I do know that those who write reviews typically are those that are complainers but I was just curious to receive input from others.

We once had a trundle bed in an interior room on the Ecstasy and it was great for our child and I even took a nap on it one day. Here is a link to a video that might help you.

That is not a trundle bed. That is a roll away bed. Here is a picture of the trundle. It ImageUploadedByForums1464974087.432840.jpg.d16eedb22cdc0827df711d4fa47b7fe3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1464974595.174664.jpg.8ab407ba5b81c3cefbf70d5d2d78c3e8.jpg

Edited by denrusk

Here is a link to where I posted about our trundle bed from the Fascination (also a Fantasy class) in 2013.

I like Fantasy class ships, and with a younger person knowing what they were getting into, I might do a trundle bed again. We configured the beds as twin, in an "L shape" against the walls, and kind of tucked the trundle under the desk thing (see picture in above link). Otherwise, the trundle takes up a LOT of floor space. I would not do a trundle if I wanted a king bed. If the person sleeping with in the trundle might have issues getting up and down, I wouldn't do it either.

Hope this helps!

My family just got off the Sensation yesterday and had a wonderful time. Yes, this is an older, smaller ship, but the staff was outstanding, everything was clean and in working order, and the small size made it easy to get everywhere. There seemed to be things going on all the time. We had twice a day cabin service and towel animals every night (silly, I know, but my kids loved them). I can't say enough about the dining room service. We enjoyed the food. I don't care about table cloths, but know there are some on here who feel it's a big deal. Sensation still has table cloths. My husband is a die hard RCCL fan and had never cruised Carnival before because a co-worker had convinced him the line was "cheap booze cruises" only. I had cruised Carnival before, and had to really convince him to give it a try. He had such a good experience, he wants to try one of the newer ships for a longer cruise. We had a wide variety of ages (16 - 60), and everyone agreed they would sail the Sensation again anytime!

I've read the ship looks and feels old, the food is bad, the service is bad, etc. I do know that those who write reviews typically are those that are complainers but I was just curious to receive input from others.

You'd better like purple:D

I agree with Kaye745 on the Sensation. My wife and I cruised on the Sensation (window cabin, no balcony was available) in 2015 out of Port Canaveral and were immensely satisfied with the ship. The crew was outstanding in every way. Since the Sensation is now in Miami,I have even thought of booking a back to back to back. The ones I was looking at never hit the same port twice and I wanted to get one of the aft-facing balconies. But we decided on doing a back to back on Carnival Magic instead out of Port Canaveral. Don't sell the Sensation short and be open minded with the crew. I hope you will find that the smaller Carnival ships can be just as much fun. Oh, and my wife and I just got back from a 5-day sailing on the Elation which is in the same class. Again, the crew was OUTSTANDING :D in every way! My wife and I have never had a bad meal on any Carnival ship. 'Course we are kinda laid back and use the opportunity to sample things we may not get at home. After having to cancel two previous cruises ( a 14-day Journeys on Glory and a 7-day on Magic) we had a blast on Elation just like we did on Sensation. We like the smaller ships like the Fantasy class and are hoping Carnival will put a Spirit class ship back in Tampa. I can see a 11-14 day Journeys cruise out of there hitting a Panama Canal partial transit swinging down to the ABC islands and back up through Martinique/Grenada/etc and having a aft-wrap cabin which is a two-room suite on the Spirit class :p!!!

Edited by BeachLoverstoo
Added information.

Stop reading reviews! They're getting you worried and upset for NO reason! You've cruised Carnival, and enjoyed it...no reason why this trip will be any different!

Agree! Sailed Sensation 5 times. She's a good ship with a great crew!

Thanks!

Sorry, cannot give any info/experience on the trundle bed, but as for Sensation, I have been on that ship, had a great cruise, but it was many years ago, so my praises for Carnival Sensation are not really applicable to today.

However, as for reviews....last year I was unable to get enough days off work, to do more than a 5 day cruise (factored in with a flight down a day or two before cruise from Canada, and a flight back after cruise), so I settled for Carnival Victory out of Miami.

In this day and age of technology, it is only normal to look for reviews before your trip, be it ship, hotel or resort, so I understand your reading them. Let me tell you....oh my...I read the most hateful and disparaging remarks about Victory...but tried not to let it get to me. I went on my cruise, and experienced none of the issues of the whiners and complainers.

I had a wonderful cruise. so my advice, read the reviews if you wish, but dont take for gospel, what one person finds to complain about. One person can go on that cruise and have a fantastic experience, and yet another one will come back and have a load of complaints.

No matter what ship you pick, you will find bad reviews. But please just go and have fun. Enjoy your cruise, and even if things dont go well, chalk it up to experience, and base your next cruise on your own experience.

Hope you enjoy Sensation though.

I too was worried about some of the recent negative Sensation reviews. We recently got back from a 4 night cruise on the Sensation. We all had a great time. The ship was very clean. The food was mostly good although some of the beef entrees in the MDR were not liked by me or others in our party. That was certainly not enough to detract from our experience, especially with all the really good apps.

The crew were all great and very attentive.

Thanks!

Big let down from the Dream to Sensation.