Alcoves

macaroni

There really isn't enough space. Their is a small lounger/settee and 2 chairs. One, if not both chairs have large footstools (can't remember) and there are 2 tables. The furniture is large & heavy.

We had 2friends join us for drinks one afternoon & it was cramped.

Are you allowed to spread out onto the grass?

Yes, it's a nice way to spend a day. You can come and go as you please and your space is always there.

You can order or bring in food, drinks. In mid afternoon you can call them to bring you the included fruit and cheese plate.

Are you allowed to spread out onto the grass?

I'm not sure what you have in mind when you ask about spreading out onto the grass. You can't bring extra chairs and I thought the use of an Alcove was limited to 4 people but I could be mistaken on that.

The lawn is used by guests to play Bocce ball or other lawn games, little kids seem to enjoy playing on the grass and it is also used by activity staff for contests & sail away wine/cheese events. And of course there are times when the lawn is roped off so it can rest.

I see pictures of people laying on towels on the grass...is that not allowed?

Macaroni, I have rented them several times and you can lay a couple of towels in front of your alcove. People do walk on the grass but it's pretty sedate and most of the walkers are just checking out the big chairs or hammocks some wander in and sit in the sun too. Last spring four of us shared the couches/chairs while my two daughters suntanned on towels on the grass. As previously mentioned there won't be enough space to put a lounger inside the alcove area and they do not allow chairs/loungers on the grass.

Based upon my experience the earlier commentary about Bocce ball, activities and resting the grass does not apply to an alcove renter with a couple of minor exceptions. I have noticed them not using specific alcoves where the grass is rehabbing. Other times they will have the lawn club roped off for the same reason. However, you will have access in front of your assigned alcove. The special events are usually in the evening and you have your alcove until 9:00 PM (if you want it). Bocce is in a completely separate area from the alcoves so it does not impact you.

If you want a alcove for a sea day, make sure you book it far in advance of your sailing (although I imagine cold/wet sailings don't sell out). I have found they get snapped up for the sea days three months or more prior. If you have one reserved you will receive an alcove reservation card the night before and the first thing I do in the morning is go check out the location where they have me assigned. Note, no guarantees but you can sometimes change the location with the morning alcove butler but make sure you get there early.

Edited by xmarksx

Macaroni, I have rented them several times and you can lay a couple of towels in front of your alcove. People do walk on the grass but it's pretty sedate and most of the walkers are just checking out the big chairs or hammocks some wander in and sit in the sun too. Last spring four of us shared the couches/chairs while my two daughters suntanned on towels on the grass. As previously mentioned there won't be enough space to put a lounger inside the alcove area and they do not allow chairs/loungers on the grass.

Based upon my experience the earlier commentary about Bocce ball, activities and resting the grass does not apply to an alcove renter with a couple of minor exceptions. I have noticed them not using specific alcoves where the grass is rehabbing. Other times they will have the lawn club roped off for the same reason. However, you will have access in front of your assigned alcove. The special events are usually in the evening and you have your alcove until 9:00 PM (if you want it). Bocce is in a completely separate area from the alcoves so it does not impact you.

If you want a alcove for a sea day, make sure you book it far in advance of your sailing (although I imagine cold/wet sailings don't sell out). I have found they get snapped up for the sea days three months or more prior. If you have one reserved you will receive an alcove reservation card the night before and the first thing I do in the morning is go check out the location where they have me assigned. Note, no guarantees but you can sometimes change the location with the morning alcove butler but make sure you get there early.

Thanks for the info....we do have it reserved already!

Your experience was a bit different than ours. The first time we had an Alcove there was a Cruise Critic Roll Call Croquet thing then later that day a Officers vs Guests Bocce ball tournament. Fun to watch but I wouldn't have wanted to be sunbathing on the grass with the Bocce Balls flying😄. The last time we rented a Alcove it rained on & off all day :(

The last time we rented an Alcove it was mostly sunny and we hung out with my inlaws, having a wonderful time; late in the afternoon, it became overcast and then a huge water spout developed right behind us. It was dramatic and fabulous!

Our New Year's sailing on Silhouette, they did not accept any reservations in advance. We booked as soon as we boarded for the week.

That was a rarity, though.

We were on the Reflection over New Year's and booked 2 sea days in advance. It was at least 4 months out. We wished we had booked a 3rd day but by then they were sold out!

Our New Year's sailing on Silhouette, they did not accept any reservations in advance. We booked as soon as we boarded for the week.

That was a rarity, though.

We're struggling to book on our Christmas one. Now I've book August I want one Christmas too. May try ringing

• 4 months later...

Upon embarkation, head up to the lawn club grill and talk to the concierge there. They will have a listing of which alcove has been reserved for you etc..usually if you are in the area of the alcoves you will see the attendant that can also help you. We enjoy the alcoves and have booked for the week on our last 5 reflection cruises as well as our upcoming B2B in Jan.

We booked in advance on the reflection in the med. There were just 2 sea days on this cruise. Our cabana was on the first sea day and it was lovely. You can lay out in the grass. Like one posted stated, not many people even venture on to the grass most look and walk on, or go over to the giant chairs, take a pic and leave. It was very quiet the whole day, very relaxing. Boccie ball is actually not done daily on the grass in front of the alcoves. Its is on the grass that is on the side of the ship by the walkway that lead to the sunset bar. That is where the daily boccie ball was on our cruise as well as the tournament. We left and came all day, took a nap in the cabana, ate lunch there, and even had a drink in the evening. Would absolutely do it again for at least one day of our next cruise.