Wine and H'oeuvre at 5 p.m

Eburg

On a Maasdam Canada cruise 2 years ago there was an event each evening at 5 pm in one of the bars where you could purchase a Sommelier selected wine and it was paired with an H'oeuvre. We will be on Oosterdam June 17 and are hoping it's a standard event on all HAL cruises as we really enjoyed it. Does anyone know?

We enjoyed this activity on our Atlantic Adventurer cruise. But, that was the Maasdam as well. We're booked on the Rotterdam in late July and I'm hoping we'll find it there. Would love to hear from other cruisers on this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sip & Savor is an event I enjoy and has been on all of my recent cruises. The wines are usually very good and are often ones that I wouldn't probably try myself. The "Savor" is just a bite of some goody. A Pinnacle Grill Crab mini-crab cake usually makes one appearance. Sometimes, it has been held in the Explorer's Lounge; sometime in the Pinnacle Lounge on those ships that have such a venue.

One tiny negative: if one has purchased a beverage card, i.e. $50, $100, $250, that card cannot be used for this event. The Steward will complete a paper bill and have you sign it. Then, the $5 will be charged to your account.

Sip & Savor is an event I enjoy and has been on all of my recent cruises. The wines are usually very good and are often ones that I wouldn't probably try myself. The "Savor" is just a bite of some goody. A Pinnacle Grill Crab mini-crab cake usually makes one appearance. Sometimes, it has been held in the Explorer's Lounge; sometime in the Pinnacle Lounge on those ships that have such a venue.

One tiny negative: if one has purchased a beverage card, i.e. $50, $100, $250, that card cannot be used for this event. The Steward will complete a paper bill and have you sign it. Then, the $5 will be charged to your account.

Thanks for the added info about the beverage card. We found the wines very good also.

We had a small group of regulars who attended most evenings on the Rotterdam this spring, sharing stories about our adventures of the day and discussing plans for the morrow. We usually stayed for a second glass of wine. It is a nice start to the evening's activities.

On a Maasdam Canada cruise 2 years ago there was an event each evening at 5 pm in one of the bars where you could purchase a Sommelier selected wine and it was paired with an H'oeuvre. We will be on Oosterdam June 17 and are hoping it's a standard event on all HAL cruises as we really enjoyed it. Does anyone know?

Sip & Savor (Wine + Hors d'oeuvres) was still alive & kicking in May. The venue might change based on the ship, but it's pretty ubiquitous.

So is it $5 a glass or $5 for the event (too good to be true)?

On this year's Grand Med cruise the Sip N Savor price was $4 and the wines were much better than the price the majority of the time. We had Sip N Savor cards with a punch given each evening you purchased wine. Eight punches and the next one was free. I was a regular and we didn't start repeating food items until near the end of this 55 day voyage. The food was often matched to the theme of the evening which was about every other night.

On the Maasdam it was $5 for one small glass of wine and one small plate of hors d'oeuvres.

That is correct. If one wants a second glass of wine, that is another $5, but that does not include another hors d'oeuvres. (Maybe if there are several left overs, one might be able to get one. When the "Savor" is the PG crab cake, they are rarely any not served.)

One might be better served by going to the 4 to 5 PM Happy Hour in the Crows Nest. Second drink is $1 and hot hors d'oeuvres are free. Of course the wine selection is limited.

The idea is to try different wines with an explanation of why it was paired with the particular food item which changes daily. If you're after the best bargain with the usual hot hors d'oeuvres then Happy Hour is probably the best bet.

Can you use the SBP? We got Explore4 on our upcoming cruise and would love an opportunity to try some nicer wines.

Can you use the SBP? We got Explore4 on our upcoming cruise and would love an opportunity to try some nicer wines.

I think this is something that changes from ship to ship and possibly cruise to cruise. I did it once, when E4 was fairly new. I've heard since then that it is not possible. So, I would ask and be prepared to pay for it with your ship card, or leave if you'd rather not pay for S&S.