Skagway - and my dilemma

notentirelynormal

Sorry this is so long.

I’m trying to make the perfect Alaskan experience for my grand kids. I want them to go back home to Washington and California, be sitting in school looking at books and studying up on Alaska and be able to say “been there”, “done that”. The things that Alaska is known for. They may never get to do some of these cool things again so now is the time.

Our first stop is Ketchikan and is a short day, only 7 hours total. I guess we’ll do the Lumberjack show and the Duck thing and walk around town before we get back on the ship on time. That will give the kids a good introduction to Alaska. A fun day and not too tiring.

In Juneau they will have a busy day. We’ll start with Coastal Helicopters picking us up at the pier. They drive us to their office then we hop in the helo and end up landing on a glacier and do the dog sledding experience. This should be super duper fun. Next we’ll do the extra glacier landing. Coastal will whisk us (like Rock Stars) off to Harv & Marv’s for our personal boat ride to see whales and all their friends. Pizza to be delivered so we don’t starve to death without food for a few hours. Seriously, the kids will need food and it will make our whale watching so much better eating pizza while sipping hot chocolate. Then back to the ship for shower and shave to get ready for dinner.

Next we have Skagway. So, here’s my dilemma: I kind of like this excursion that Princess is offering (see below) because I want to get both the train ride and the gold panning in before leaving Alaska. I mean what kids doesn’t want to pan for gold? Both of those two things are important but the offered tour isn’t exactly what I want.

I’m hoping those that are wise and yet still hanging out on CC can help me put together exactly what I want. I want the railroad both ways and I want the gold panning thing, hopefully with a good old timer gold prospector. This guy should preferably have suspenders and a bunch of hair to match his unshaven raggly beard. Just like you see in the movies and the books. Having lunch is unimportant since I’m not sure the kids will eat it anyway. For sure the autistic girl won’t. By this I mean, we can break it into two separate things to get what we need. I am not against doing a private guide to get this done.

White Pass Rail, Summit, Gold Panning & BBQ Lunch

Tour Overview

At the White Pass & Yukon Route Depot, board a vintage railcar for a ride on "The Scenic Railway of the World." See the original Klondike Trail of '98 worn into the rocks - evidence of the gold seekers' arduous journey. Gaze in awe at the incredible scenery as your train ascends dramatic mountains and your guide shares colorful stories and the history of the gold rush. Against all odds, the iron trail was carved through some of the North's most rugged terrain in 1898. Marvel at the spectacular waterfalls, cliff-hanging turns, tunnels and historic sites you pass on your journey to the summit of the White Pass and beyond to Fraser, British Columbia.

In Fraser, disembark the train and board a motorcoach for a dramatic journey past the Tormented Valley and Pitchfork Falls en route to Skagway. Your guide will regale you with tales of hardship that earlier travelers endured in their quest to reach the interior. Breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, waterfalls and glaciers may be captured during the many photo stops.

Stop at the Klondike Gold Fields where you will enjoy an authentic smoked BBQ lunch including Alaska salmon, ribs, chicken and various side dishes. Dine inside or on the riverside patio or rooftop deck surrounded by mountain views. Refreshed, you're ready find your fortune. Experience the life of a prospector when you join a colorful cast of characters for the chance to strike it rich. Learn the art of gold panning and practice your technique in warm-water troughs. Gold is guaranteed in every pan! Haul your treasure into the Gold Shack and have it weighed. Then, browse a collection of gold nugget jewelry and discover unique, mining-related souvenirs in the gift shop. Be sure to tour the "living museum" to learn the fascinating history of the gold rush days before your picturesque drive back to port.

So wise and wonderful CCers, can you help me?

Edited by notentirelynormal

I have no experience and have never been myself, and I have looked at way too much stuff! I did not find any where you ride the train both directions, especially if you are stopping and doing something else. I looked for several tours through my own cruise line, and with other tours. I finally booked with Chilkoot after doing a lot of comparing. It is train one way and bus the other, just like what your cruise line offers.

But, I have done gold panning before, so that part I can take or leave. I actually took a whole group of fourth graders to Sacramento on a World Strides tour and we did a lot of Gold Panning and Gold Rush activities. I was a fourth grade teacher at the time. Now I teach K-5 science at the same school.

I opted to do the sled dog camp tour add on instead.

I discovered that the day of the week I am in Skagway they don't offer the one train/tour that I wanted.

When is your port date?

Gold panning can be done at the 40 Below Gold Dredge, The only way to fit a train ride in is to do a RT summit trip. There might also be gold panning at Liarsville, I am not sure. If so then you can do a train ride to Fraser and then bus back stopping at either the Dredge or Liarsville.

For more details I suggest that you look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com under Skagway.

Side note: you mention grandkids. Will the parents (your kids) be traveling with you? If not, make sure you research guardianship paperwork for crossing the border. It might be easy, it might be a false alarm, but it's worth checking.

Personally, my thought is "why are you so concerned about getting the train both ways?" You saw it going up, now go do something else and come back another way. We did the "all-day" train ride to Carcross in 2012 (with a bus ride back, as the train doesn't offer that run as a round-trip), and honestly most of us were asleep after lunch because of the gentle rocking of the train (and the wood stoves were going, though it was unseasonably warm that day). Put your money where it makes sense: mix it up and do stuff.

Klondike gold field will have panning you were describing... We did train up and van down then took Smart bus to Klondike gold fields for gold panning and sled dog presentation. My boys 3 and 7 LOVED IT. I was very glad that we did bus down because views were very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have no experience and have never been myself, and I have looked at way too much stuff! I did not find any where you ride the train both directions, especially if you are stopping and doing something else. I looked for several tours through my own cruise line, and with other tours. I finally booked with Chilkoot after doing a lot of comparing. It is train one way and bus the other, just like what your cruise line offers.

But, I have done gold panning before, so that part I can take or leave. I actually took a whole group of fourth graders to Sacramento on a World Strides tour and we did a lot of Gold Panning and Gold Rush activities. I was a fourth grade teacher at the time. Now I teach K-5 science at the same school.

I opted to do the sled dog camp tour add on instead.

I discovered that the day of the week I am in Skagway they don't offer the one train/tour that I wanted.

When is your port date?

This is exactly what we did and it was by far our favorite day of whole trip!! Sled dogs were incredible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Side note: you mention grandkids. Will the parents (your kids) be traveling with you? If not, make sure you research guardianship paperwork for crossing the border. It might be easy, it might be a false alarm, but it's worth checking.

Personally, my thought is "why are you so concerned about getting the train both ways?" You saw it going up, now go do something else and come back another way. We did the "all-day" train ride to Carcross in 2012 (with a bus ride back, as the train doesn't offer that run as a round-trip), and honestly most of us were asleep after lunch because of the gentle rocking of the train (and the wood stoves were going, though it was unseasonably warm that day). Put your money where it makes sense: mix it up and do stuff.

I have the immigration and medical papers signed in blood. I back it up with a copy of parent's passport to support signatures so no worries there. I have taken the kids into Canada before so it shouldn't be an issue.

I not really "concerned". I'm trying to make the best experience which is why I posted and wanted different opinions. I just thought the train ride would be more fun then just riding a bus. If the train one way and the bus the other is the best option then that is what I'll end up doing.

KT6453: we are doing the dog sledding on the glacier in Juneau so won't need to do it twice.

Edited by notentirelynormal

How old are the grand kids?

I think RR one way is going to be good enough. I see a lot of older people sleeping on the way back.

You are pretty cool to have pizza delivered :)

Edited by Coral

I do believe that the "Klondike Gold Fields" and 40 below are one in the same.

I know that the complex has changed since I last visited it in 03 - back then it was just a old gold dredge tour with panning afterwards using seeded dirt.

Today there is much more there including the sled dogs, the 40 below experience, a brewery. a BBQ joint etc.

It is located about 2 mi out of town on the Klondike Hy.

I would say that your grandkids will enjoy this tour as it is a good mixture of train, bus, gold panning, and more. You will not be able to ride the sleds - but you will be able to watch them race.

In looking at the tours, Liarsville also has gold panning - but no sled dogs.

FYI if you are a Gold Rush fan, this dredge is the sister to the one that Tony Beets bought two seasons ago.

I have the immigration and medical papers signed in blood. I back it up with a copy of parent's passport to support signatures so no worries there. I have taken the kids into Canada before so it shouldn't be an issue.

I not really "concerned". I'm trying to make the best experience which is why I posted and wanted different opinions. I just thought the train ride would be more fun then just riding a bus. If the train one way and the bus the other is the best option then that is what I'll end up doing.

KT6453: we are doing the dog sledding on the glacier in Juneau so won't need to do it twice.

I was in Skagway the 2nd week of May. During my planning I discovered that if one does a train/bus combo that it's probably best to do the bus first then come back on the train. The reason is that in the mornings there is a high probability of having fog/clouds and not being able to see a thing from the train. The clouds/fog will typically burn away later in the morning/afternoon so when you're coming back on the train you'll be able to see everything. The bus doesn't take very long to get over the mountains in the morning then you're typically in the clear.

I have a 6 and 10 year old and we recently went on a train ride and I hate to say it but they were done with staring out the window pretty quickly. I really debated what to do in Skagway and we decided to skip the train - the ride seems too long and from what I hear the seats are wooden and small and uncomfortable. On a bus the seats are more comfy and the driver will stop several times for everyone to get off and take pics. Ideally I would have done train one way and bus back but it just didn't work with our schedule so we are just doing the bus. Have a great trip!

I was in Skagway the 2nd week of May. During my planning I discovered that if one does a train/bus combo that it's probably best to do the bus first then come back on the train. The reason is that in the mornings there is a high probability of having fog/clouds and not being able to see a thing from the train. The clouds/fog will typically burn away later in the morning/afternoon so when you're coming back on the train you'll be able to see everything. The bus doesn't take very long to get over the mountains in the morning then you're typically in the clear.

Last year we rented a car and drove into the Yukon. It was foggy and rainy down in Skagway and quite a way up the mountain. Once we got into Canada, it was clearer. On the way back in the afternoon, it was clear until we got part way back down, and then we had just as much fog/rain in the afternoon as we had in the morning. Time of day made NO difference. Location is what mattered.

Best thing I can suggest is to make sure you're on the left side of the train for the best views. :)

Only if you are taking the train UP!

We used Frontier excursions in Skagway and had a blast- did the tour that goes to caribou crossings.

Great views, saw a ton of bears. My 5 and 7 year old daughters absolutely loved it (I took them by myself in this cruise- new baby, didn't want to take the cruise from em)...

Skagway is immediately past Juneau in the pics

The only way I saw to do the train both ways was to get right back on and ride it back. Don't do that because you miss a lot in the Klondike area. Do the train up with any of the the attached bus excursions. The bus ride back gives you a different perspective of the same pass and it's stops are worth seeing. We didn't do the gold panning because we had done that before and it's OK.

I would agree that the train both ways might be overkill and they will be fine on the motorcoach one way. Can I ask who you are getting to deliver pizza to the dock?

It will be Dominos delivered to Harv & Marv. At least that is the plan. As it gets closer I'll call them and make sure. They said they deliver to that area (I did a fake booking). I figured that pay off would be that H&V order it for me and I buy one for the office.

Thanks everyone. I'm appreciating all the comments. My computer is on the fritz so I can't do too much or it crashes. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have my old one back and be able to check out all the sites everyone is telling me about.

Clearly the train both ways is out. This kind of experience is what I'm looking for.

The only way I saw to do the train both ways was to get right back on and ride it back.

There are round-trip train tours, which do not go as far as Fraser. They go to the summit and then go right back. Nobody gets off the train. These can be done without a passport since you never set foot in Canada.

Coral - Just as a side note: I'm pretty sure we've met on a cruise before. A 10 day cruise in the Caribbean. If I'm right about your user name it was the Ruby Princess - Southern Caribbean - March 2010. Does this sound right? We were traveling with a group of family and friends of about 24 with 3 little ones.