Adventure June 4 Review - LOTS of port pics

Your review is awesome!! St. Lucia is my favorite island and we will be there on 8/17. I'm so excited. This time I can show my grandkids the beauty of the island. Your pictures are really great. Those people in the photos look like one happy family!! Thank you for sharing your cruise with us.

Carol

IMG_1799_zpseb2ynbsx.jpg

Day 6, Port of Call: Bridgetown, Barbados

Arrival 8:00am, Departure 5:00pm

For our last port day of the cruise, we planned a beach day. Originally, I was thinking of going to the Boatyard, as it typically gets great reviews here. As we got closer to the cruise date, we decided that we wanted something a little more quiet. I had read a couple of reviews for Harbour Lights, which is just down the beach from the Boatyard, and seemed to be a bit quieter. We ultimately decided on Harbour Lights.

I had learned from reading here that the taxis are vans that won't lave the pier area until they are full. After we were asked where we were going and were being directed to a particular taxi, I asked it the taxi was leaving immediately, ready to look elsewhere if we needed to wait. Fortunately (for us...maybe not for the other people already in the van), we were the last people to get into our taxi and we left immediately. I don't know how long the others had to wait. Our taxi driver told us a little bit about what we were seeing on the way to the beach, and we were soon there. The driver wanted to know what time we were leaving so that she could be there to take us back. I assume that it was so that she could get our business rather than someone else, because there were a lot of taxis available.

We arrived at Harbour Lights, paid for wrist bands allowing us to use the chairs/umbrellas and head toward the sand to find chairs. We took our time getting off the ship so all of the lounge chairs in the first row closest to the water were already taken when we arrived. If you want to be looking directly at the water rather than someone else's chair, I suggest that you get there early.

_CM_8221_zpslhhlmgff.jpg

Looking from the beach back at the Harbour Lights main building with food, drinks, restrooms

_CM_8219_zps9n3rbd04.jpg

_CM_8217_zpshill110v.jpg

_CM_8216_zpshlwbaldb.jpg

Ramada (left) and Hilton (Right) Resorts in the distance at the far end of the bay.

_CM_8214_zps84xcw11n.jpg

The pier for the Boatyard, and the ship off in the distance

If you're like me, and you're a little confused by all of these "beaches", there really is one long beach on Carlisle Bay. There are several restaurants/beach clubs along the bay that rent chairs, and it seems that people often refer to the Beach club name rather than the beach itself. Google Maps adds to the confusion by refering to Brownes Beach, Bayshore Beach, and Pebbles Beach, all on the same stretch of sand. Whatever the name, it's a very long stretch of white sand and crystal clear water with multiple shades of blue.

One of the other reasons that we chose Harbour Lights over Boatyard is that someone said there were fewer vendors at Harbour Lights...particularly those trying to get you to take a boat to see the sea turtles in the bay. I'm not sure how many people were making this sales pitch at The Boatyard, but we had plenty at Harbour Lights.

_CM_8225_zpsnww8rk0h.jpg

Sea turtle area not too far from shore. The turtles are near the boat with all of the people.

_CM_8228_zpsp5v6a8dh.jpg

_CM_8229_zpsbajt6idj.jpg

_CM_8222_zpscrltlxic.jpg

The food was good and reasonably priced. You could buy a bucket of 5 Banks Beers for $10US, but they were not fulled sized beer bottles (8 oz I believe). They had wait staff taking orders on the beach but we found it faster to get drinks ourselves.

Harbour Lights filled in very quickly after we arrived, and there ended up being a lot of people there. Between the number of beach goers and the vendors, it wasn't quite as relaxing as I had envisioned. The beach and water though are beautiful and it was a very nice day.

IMG_1799_zpseb2ynbsx.jpg

Day 7, Cruising

I just realized that I got the days screwed up when talking about the last 2 ports. St. Lucia was Wednesday, and Barbados was Thursday, which makes our sea day traveling back to San Juan on Friday. That's the sign of a good cruise...you lose track of which day is which.:D

I didn't take many pictures of the ship, but I will add a few more thoughts/observations. First, I made a rookie mistake on the sea day. We normally just hang out at the Solarium pool on sea days. We didn't plan anything and by the time we woke up, had breakfast, and checked the cruise planner to see what we might want to do other than sit by the pool (nothing struck our fancy), it was nearly 11:00am by the time that we decided to just go to the pool. WAY too late. There were no chairs available anywhere on the pool deck, and even for much of the upper deck. The cruise was definitely sailing full. This was the first time though that it felt crowded. We were eventually able to find a couple of chairs near the Solarium pool once people started leaving for lunch (and thankfully not leaving their towels/books/flip flops on the chairs).

DD21 and DD18 had a hard time getting connected to others their age on this cruise. Between being ashore every day, and both now being too old for the kids clubs, they more or less had to hang out with each other. That's normally OK, but DD21 had some college stuff to do and spent some time by herself in their cabin studying. That left DD18 with no option other than to hang with us. She doesn't see the same excitement about reading a book next to the pool that we do.

I mentioned earlier the situation with carrying on wine and the 10 drink cards. The drink card worked well and saved us a few bucks. We would normally get the drink package (and get our money's worth) but between the carry on wine, being on an island each day, and having the drink card, we didn't need it.

Formal nights were the least formal that we've experienced yet. We still get dressed up (I bring a tux) and even with all of the talk here of informal dress on formal night, we always seemed to see quite a few other people who also dress up on past cruises. This cruise, we were definitely in the minority. I'm going to guess that less than 25% of the men had a sport coat/suit/tux. I don't know if that's due to this particular ship/itinerary or just the general trend that I hadn't seen until now. No judgement from me either way. We dress up because we enjoy it. Do what makes you happy on a cruise.

Food was good. We aren't foodies and generally liked the MDR food. Windjammer is what it is. I usually ordered an omelet for breakfast and never had to wait more than 4 or 5 people. We passed this time on Giovanni's since we had a bad experience last time on Freedom.

Games 2, 3, and 4 of the NBA Finals happened while we were onboard. Game 2 was shown on the big screen by the pool. The pool big screen was showing movies on other nights so games 3 and 4 were shown in the sports bar in the Promenade. DW and I were busy doing something else when game 3 was broadcast but my daughters watched it in the sports bar. They said it was packed and they had to stand the whole time. We all watched game 4 (or at least the first half) together and got to the sports bar early to get a seat. The sports bar was also packed, with people spilling into the promenade for game 4. It was interesting that there was a parade happening in the promenade during game 4, and I bet half the people in the sports bar didn't know the parade was happening.

Disembarking was somewhat of a nightmare. We took our time in the morning (as best you can) and had breakfast in the Windjammer before heading off the ship after our designated time. We had no trouble getting off the ship but were stopped for about 5 minutes before we entered the terminal. They were stopping new people from entering the terminal until some of the people already inside could leave. When we eventually made it into the room with the luggage, and it was extremely crowded and confusing. We thought our luggage was missing because we couldn't find it in our numbered area. We soon realized that the line for customs was extending way out of the roped area and was running through the luggage area. We found our luggage on the other side of the line of people. Many people were confused about where the line even started. We grabbed a porter, which meant that it only took us about 30 minutes to get through customs. I'm sure that the main line took at least 15 minutes more than that. Our porter took us straight to a waiting taxi and we were headed to the airport. Well worth the cost of tipping the porter.

Time for this review to sail off into the sunset. Let me know if you have any questions!

_CM_8211_zps0marauqj.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the time to do your review. I really enjoyed it and your pictures were great.

You mentioned you bought the 10 drink card. Do remember what day of the cruise they started selling them, and where you purchased it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to do your review. I really enjoyed it and your pictures were great.

You mentioned you bought the 10 drink card. Do remember what day of the cruise they started selling them, and where you purchased it?

Thanks. I think the drink cards were made available the evening of day 3, but it may have been day 4. I was a little surprised to see them so early in the cruise. I bought it at the Dog and Pony Pub on the Promenade but I'd guess that they were available elsewhere. Cost was $85 + tip = $100.30 total.

Does the refrigerator come already filled with items? I have seen mention of this. Also if it does, do you have to ask to have it all removed? or do you just take it all out and put it some place?

THanks!

Does the refrigerator come already filled with items? I have seen mention of this. Also if it does, do you have to ask to have it all removed? or do you just take it all out and put it some place?

THanks!

Returned from Adventure last week and the fridge/cooler was empty in our grand suite and in my mom's royal family suite. The only items that were not complementary with 2 large bottles of Evian water set up on the bar with tag for ordering. Was nice to store wine and bottles of water without the sodas and candy that they use to have in mini bar.

Thanks. I think the drink cards were made available the evening of day 3, but it may have been day 4. I was a little surprised to see them so early in the cruise. I bought it at the Dog and Pony Pub on the Promenade but I'd guess that they were available elsewhere. Cost was $85 + tip = $100.30 total.

If you purchase a drink card on day 3 and then want to possibly purchase another one on say day 5, is that an issue ? another words do they sell out or stop selling them at some point ?

We are doing this cruise in late August before the grandkids go back to school as they have never been on a cruise. We have been to Barbados many times and usually go to the Boatyard, but you made Harbour Lights sound as the alternative.

Questions:

Transportation to and return - Boatyard provides return to ship

Entry fee - could not find any prices other than the rental of 2 lounges & umbrella ($15)

Safety - grand kids are 8 & 10

Food and bar prices

THanks!

Fridge was empty for us also, but it's more of a cooler than a fridge. We chilled wine/water in an ice bucket before putting it into the fridge. That kept them reasonably chilled. If we had put them in at room temp, I think they probably would have stayed at room temp.

We only waited 5 minutes in the line for customs with our porter. We got off the ship about 8am. Best tip I can give anyone...get a porter...worth the $$$

Getting a porter AND getting off the ship early are both good tips to avoid lines. We chose sleep.

If you purchase a drink card on day 3 and then want to possibly purchase another one on say day 5, is that an issue ? another words do they sell out or stop selling them at some point ?

I'm fairly certain that you can purchase as many drink cards as you want. I don't think they stopped selling them. And they are not restricted to one person like the drink package. You could use it to buy a round for your new found pool friends.

Edited by bobmacliberty

Thank you very much for your time and effort in doing your review. We sail in September on a different itinerary, but I enjoyed your thoughts and pictures very much. Thank you again.

Thank you all for your kind words. It's fun reliving a cruise through a review, but there's a definite battle between finding the time to write the review and that pesky real world that keeps getting in the way.

We are doing this cruise in late August before the grandkids go back to school as they have never been on a cruise. We have been to Barbados many times and usually go to the Boatyard, but you made Harbour Lights sound as the alternative.

Questions:

Transportation to and return - Boatyard provides return to ship

Entry fee - could not find any prices other than the rental of 2 lounges & umbrella ($15)

Safety - grand kids are 8 & 10

Food and bar prices

I figured the cost between The Boatyard and Harbour Lights to be almost the same at the end of the day. Harbour Lights does not provide transportation back to the ship, so you need to pay for a taxi in both directions. There is no entry fee. You save $5 per 2 people in renting lounge chairs/umbrella ($15 at Harbour Lights, $20 at Boatyard), which almost offsets the additional taxi cost, which I think was $5 per person each way??

I don't recall the exact price of specific food or drinks (other than the $20 bucket of Banks beer). I remember thinking it was a tiny bit expensive but reasonable for a beach club. Our total lunch bill came to $78USD and included a couple of entrees, a chicken finger appetizer that was large enough for a meal, a beer, 2 mixed drinks, and 4 bottled waters (disclaimer...my memory isn't what it used to be). I'd guess about $15 for a burger or chicken sandwich.

I don't know the food/drink prices at The Boatyard, but would assume that they are similar since it sounds like they are pretty direct competitors. Maybe someone who has been to The Boatyard can comment.

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much for pointing me to your review. I found it most helpful, enjoyed it, and LOVED the pictures. (I feel like I should have been taking notes along the way because questions kept popping up in my mind every time I read something lol).

Barbados: My goodness that beach is beautiful! Is the sand pink there? Your pictures make it look more pink that what I thought it was on my trip to Bermuda and the "pink" sand beaches. :eek: How much were the wrist band/day passes there? How long of a drive is it?

So the turtles were just there where the boats are located? I would love to see the sea turtles and swim with them. I know my little one would too. It doesn't look like it's very far out. Do you know if it's deep in that area? I would think one could swim to it if it's that close (unless they won't allow it for safety reasons from the boats coming and going). Do you have any idea what they charge to take you out to the area? I'm just wondering if it's safe to leave your things behind at your chair to go?

St Lucia: Loved the pictures. Definitely going to the beach there at the Pitons.

St Kitts: I'm trying to decide between Carambola and Shipwreck here and just can't make up my mind. I know that Carambola would be a heck of a lot nicer, but a lot more expensive. I really want to experience the black sand, but then again people on our March cruise went and there wasn't any black sand at the time. You can tell from the pictures that it's not a ritzy place to go, but we can be fine with that. I just don't know.

You did mention that Carambola had burgers? I have tried to find a menu that has something OTHER than the fancy expensive food and haven't been successful. Can you remember how much they were and if they included fries? Any other pricing you might remember...like soda?

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it. :)

mitsugirly - Glad the pictures helped you. I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

Barbados - The beach was definitely beautiful. There was some pink in the sand, but not quite to the amount that there was in Bermuda. It's free to use the Harbour Lights facilities, but they charge $15 for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella. The wrist band just shows that you've paid for a chair. It was a short taxi ride to get there...maybe 5 minutes? We didn't swim with the turtles and I tuned out the vendors who were selling boat rides to the turtles, but you'd have no problem finding someone to take you out there. You could probably swim there (distance wise) but I'd be concerned about the number of boats in the area. Maybe someone else can say how much it costs. You may be OK to leave stuff that isn't of value, but I'd bring anything valuable with me. Too many people around. Depending on your daughter's age, I'd also look at The Boatyard. It's just up the beach and has large floats in the water and a rope swing off the pier. If she's old enough, she may enjoy that more. You can take a boat from there to the turtles also. Either location should be a great beach day.

St. Lucia - I'd highly recommend Jalousie/Sugar beach. Another beautiful beach. The only way to drive there is over a mountainous road that takes more than an hour. You'll want to find someone who will take you there by boat. If you'll spend the day there, I'd pay for the more comfortable lounges at the resort part of the beach. Note sure the cost though of renting chairs. Again, maybe someone else can reply with the cost.

St. Kitts - Carambola has a pretty broad menu. I don't remember the cost but it was probably $15+/- per person for lunch. Burgers were definitely available and came with fries. I took a quick look at a menu hanging on a pole at Shipwreck beach and was surprised that it was more "upscale" than I thought it would be...both in terms of the type of food and the cost. There wasn't a lot on that menu so I'm thinking it may just have been the daily specials. It seemed about the same cost as Carambola. I wouldn't exactly describe the sand there as "black sand". There was some black sand mixed in, but that's it. The pictures of mixed black and white sand are pretty accurate. There has been a lot of erosion at Shipwreck beach so there's only a single row of chairs and they face downhill a little. Again, check the pictures. Carambola has more chairs from which to choose. Carambola chairs were either $15 or $20 for two chairs and an umbrella. We didn't have enough time to rent any, but that seems to be the standard price. :) I think that chairs are free at Shipwreck but I can't confirm that. Carambola has what looks like a little protected cove area for swimming. Shipwreck is supposed to have monkeys, but there were none there when we were there. Very different vibes at both places, but both would also be a great beach day.

Have a great cruise!

:p

mitsugirly - Glad the pictures helped you. I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

Barbados - The beach was definitely beautiful. There was some pink in the sand, but not quite to the amount that there was in Bermuda. It's free to use the Harbour Lights facilities, but they charge $15 for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella. The wrist band just shows that you've paid for a chair. It was a short taxi ride to get there...maybe 5 minutes? We didn't swim with the turtles and I tuned out the vendors who were selling boat rides to the turtles, but you'd have no problem finding someone to take you out there. You could probably swim there (distance wise) but I'd be concerned about the number of boats in the area. Maybe someone else can say how much it costs. You may be OK to leave stuff that isn't of value, but I'd bring anything valuable with me. Too many people around. Depending on your daughter's age, I'd also look at The Boatyard. It's just up the beach and has large floats in the water and a rope swing off the pier. If she's old enough, she may enjoy that more. You can take a boat from there to the turtles also. Either location should be a great beach day.

s

Thanks for the info. What's the difference with the Boatyard than here? Just the large floats in the water and rope swing? Do you have any other info on this place? If not, I'll ask around on the boards.

St. Lucia - I'd highly recommend Jalousie/Sugar beach. Another beautiful beach. The only way to drive there is over a mountainous road that takes more than an hour. You'll want to find someone who will take you there by boat. If you'll spend the day there, I'd pay for the more comfortable lounges at the resort part of the beach. Note sure the cost though of renting chairs. Again, maybe someone else can reply with the cost.

It's been reported several times around the boards that the chair rental at the resort (with the pads on them) is $50. No way am I paying that kind of price. I don't stay in a chair long enough to hardly pay for a $10 chair. :eek: :p

St. Kitts - Carambola has a pretty broad menu. I don't remember the cost but it was probably $15+/- per person for lunch. Burgers were definitely available and came with fries. I took a quick look at a menu hanging on a pole at Shipwreck beach and was surprised that it was more "upscale" than I thought it would be...both in terms of the type of food and the cost. There wasn't a lot on that menu so I'm thinking it may just have been the daily specials. It seemed about the same cost as Carambola. I wouldn't exactly describe the sand there as "black sand". There was some black sand mixed in, but that's it. The pictures of mixed black and white sand are pretty accurate. There has been a lot of erosion at Shipwreck beach so there's only a single row of chairs and they face downhill a little. Again, check the pictures. Carambola has more chairs from which to choose. Carambola chairs were either $15 or $20 for two chairs and an umbrella. We didn't have enough time to rent any, but that seems to be the standard price. :) I think that chairs are free at Shipwreck but I can't confirm that. Carambola has what looks like a little protected cove area for swimming. Shipwreck is supposed to have monkeys, but there were none there when we were there. Very different vibes at both places, but both would also be a great beach day.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much for the info on the menu at Carambola. If they have burgers and fries, we should be good to go then, especially if the pricing is about the same as Shipwreck. I do think people have reported it's $10 an item at Carmbola (for 2 chairs and umbrella would be $30 @ $10 each item). So, we'll see. No biggie, just wondering. People have said free chairs at Shipwreck, I just don't know if it's "worth" saving the money.

I know that they say there's good snorkeling to the "left" of Shipwreck when facing the water. Do you know if the snorkeling is good over by Carambola?

Thanks again for your time and awesome review with pictures. I loved it!