Is Dania Beach a safe area?

gcbranscome

We are going on out first cruise, so I am not familiar with the Port Everglades area. I have a reservation made at the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach. The Hotel has such great reviews, but some have commented on the surrounding area. Is the Dania Beach area an area we should avoid due to safety? Is it worth the extra money to stay on 17th street? Thanks for any feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are going on out first cruise, so I am not familiar with the Port Everglades area. I have a reservation made at the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach. The Hotel has such great reviews, but some have commented on the surrounding area. Is the Dania Beach area an area we should avoid due to safety? Is it worth the extra money to stay on 17th street? Thanks for any feedback!

Personally speaking, as a three-decades-long South Floridian, I avoid Dania Beach at all cost. I am sure that there are small areas of safety, but the drug culture in that area has not been sufficiently extinguished to meet my level of comfort. Simply my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Hyatt Place is in a perfectly safe area. I glanced through recent reviews on the Hyatt website, Yelp, Priceline and Trip Advisor and saw not a one mentioning feeling unsafe. Perhaps you were recalling reviews of hotels on Federal Hwy in Dania Beach which should be avoided.

There are seven hotels on either side of the I-95/Stirling Rd interchange all popular with cruise passengers, so there will always be plenty of other people walking to and from the shops and restaurants in Oakwood Plaza. The only thing that may be dangerous is crossing Stirling Rd to get there.

My boyfriend and I stayed in Dania Beach at the Springhill Suites for one night before our cruise. We took the airport shuttle to the hotel and cruise shuttle to the port and felt perfectly fine with both, as well as the location of the hotel. We did walk across the street to the gas station for a few things the morning our cruise left. Someone was on the corner asking for money, but that was the extent of our slightly uncomfortable interactions. I'm not familiar with any of the other Dania Beach areas though.

How much extra money are we talking about to stay at Hyatt Place near 17th Street ? Have you checked using valuetrips ?

We have stayed at Springhill Suites (very close to Hyatt Place) in Dania Beach several times and usually go over to Oakwood Plaza to the Kmart. There are always alot of other cruisers about, so I have never felt unsafe, but then again we do not go out after dark.

How much extra money are we talking about to stay at Hyatt Place near 17th Street ? Have you checked using valuetrips ?

It's about a $200 difference. No, I have not tried Valuetrips, but I will now! Thank you so much!

Ok...I just made a reservation for the Hyatt Place on 17th street through Valuetrips. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from them?

From my reading of these boards (no personal experience) it can take up to 2 weeks. I hope you are successful - the 17th Street location is much nicer than the Dania Beach location. You'll have your choice of good restaurants, many shops for last minute shopping, etc. nearby that you can walk to even after dark plus your trip to the port will be shorter.

Ok...I just made a reservation for the Hyatt Place on 17th street through Valuetrips. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from them?

So glad you took my recommendation and priced it with valuetrips....What ended up being the price difference now between the two Hyatt's ?.

You'll be very glad you opted for this location....enjoy !!

So glad you took my recommendation and priced it with valuetrips....What ended up being the price difference now between the two Hyatt's ?.

You'll be very glad you opted for this location....enjoy !!

The Hyatt on 17th with Value trips is $99 and the other Hyatt is $187. Thanks again for your advice!

The Hyatt on 17th with Value trips is $99 and the other Hyatt is $187. Thanks again for your advice!

WOW...Great...You're very welcome !!

I'll also recommend eating at Duffy's located in the parking lot of the Publix shopping center next door to the Hyatt. I stay often at the Embassy Suites that sits in front of this...you'll enjoy this convenient location...enjoy !!

WOW...Great...You're very welcome !!

I'll also recommend eating at Duffy's located in the parking lot of the Publix shopping center next door to the Hyatt. I stay often at the Embassy Suites that sits in front of this...you'll enjoy this convenient location...enjoy !!

Agree about Duffy's;).

Personally speaking, as a three-decades-long South Floridian, I avoid Dania Beach at all cost. I am sure that there are small areas of safety, but the drug culture in that area has not been sufficiently extinguished to meet my level of comfort. Simply my opinion.

I don't know enough about Dania to make an opinion as I don't spend any time there however this is what I hear.

Yes, I agree Duffys is great!

When giving advice stick with your area of knowledge.

Bad advice is not what was asked for, 751.

This is within my area of knowledge...and I shared my opinion based upon my personal experience. Given that I work in the "Legal" community, I have a clear vision of this "area of knowledge."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Katiedid751

I don't know enough about Dania to make an opinion as I don't spend any time there however this is what I hear.

Yes, I agree Duffys is great!

BlueHerons, thanks for your support as to what you see and hear as a South Florida resident about Dania Beach. We do not make this stuff up. It is what it is.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it. We are going to stay at the other Hyatt on 17th street. I do believe you know what you are talking about considering you live in Florida. That guy wasn't very nice with his comment. I don't understand people at times.

The hotels on the north side of the Stirling Rd/I-95 interchange (which includes the Hyatt Place that was the subject of the original post) are technically in the City of Dania Beach, but cross Stirling Rd and those hotels, and Oakwood Plaza and its heavily trafficked shops and restaurants--all perfectly safe even late into the evening-- are in the City of Hollywood.

The admittedly ragged borders of the City of Dania Beach stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to almost all the way to the Seminole Reservation on State Rd 7 where the Hard Rock complex is located. It does appear that some of the responses are from those who when hearing "Dania Beach" only picture the rather downmarket Federal Hwy and Dania Beach Blvd corridors. I agree that the hotels with a N or S Federal Hwy/Dania Beach address should be avoided as the residential area immediately to the north and west of them is not one a tourist should wander into. But the hotel the OP asked about--as well as its many neighbors (I should have said nine in my first response, not seven) next to Oakwood Plaza--have no reason to be warned against staying at, whether their legal address is Hollywood or Dania Beach.

Edited by fishywood

The hotels on the north side of the Stirling Rd/I-95 interchange (which includes the Hyatt Place that was the subject of the original post) are technically in the City of Dania Beach, but cross Stirling Rd and those hotels, and Oakwood Plaza and its heavily trafficked shops and restaurants--all perfectly safe even late into the evening-- are in the City of Hollywood.

The admittedly ragged borders of the City of Dania Beach stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to almost all the way to the Seminole Reservation on State Rd 7 where the Hard Rock complex is located. It does appear that some of the responses are from those who when hearing "Dania Beach" only picture the rather downmarket Federal Hwy and Dania Beach Blvd corridors. I agree that the hotels with a N or S Federal Hwy/Dania Beach address should be avoided as the residential area immediately to the north and west of them is not one a tourist should wander into. But the hotel the OP asked about--as well as its many neighbors (I should have said nine in my first response, not seven) next to Oakwood Plaza--have no reason to be warned against staying at, whether their legal address is Hollywood or Dania Beach.

Thank you very much!

Edited by gcbranscome