what is your favorite Alaska souvenir?

jean-lynd

These are my favorites:

19620933123_c3d7a76b34_z.jpg

I bought the pendant on my first trip to Alaska in 2001 in Skagway. In 2014, I got my ears pierced (long story) and wanted matching earrings. I looked all over for some on my trip to Alaska that summer. I couldn't buy just anything, because I need to wear 14k gold. Finally I walked into Broadway Jewelry in Skagway and showed the salesman my pendant, and told him I wanted similar earrings. He said it looked like one of their designs, and called over the owner to confirm. Apparently, I had bought the pendant from the same shop, in a different location, 13 years earlier. :eek:

I also buy soap from Glacier Smoothie in Juneau every year. Using it reminds me of Alaska!

Something I haven't seen anyone mention is smoked salmon.

I wouldn't really call that a souvenir, being edible and all, and for we British Columbians, all we need to do is simply go to the nearest river, drop a line and follow the process.

But to others, I guess one could call pacific smoked salmon such a thing

I bought textiles from The Loom in Skagway. They said their items are loomed in Anchorage. I got 2 table runners and 6 pillow covers (then bought the pillows for the covers when I got home).

Picture shows one of the 2 runners and beyond, on the sofa, you can see 3 of the pillows. The vase on the table was not made in AK but was purchased last year (actually 2 similar vases) in Juneau at a lovely store that, unfortunately, was going out of business.

Going to go to the Loom again this August!

image.jpg.6a4da0ebf0271bd6d5df84ec84b8058c.jpg

One key: if you want something made in Alaska, be sure and look for the "Made in Alaska" logo. And if you want an authentic item made by an Alaskan Native, look for the "Silver Hand" logo.

That being said, I think the Ulu is the classic Alaskan item. Again, you can find cheap ones made somewhere else. So spend the money to find a good one. Oh, and it has to go in your check-in luggage, not your carry on.

Carryon?

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/souvenir-ulus-among-items-most-caught-at-tsa-checkpoint-in/article_cfa45d02-de54-11e3-a36f-0017a43b2370.html

Maybe mail it back to your home?

• 1 month later...

I would like to buy an ulu as a thank you for the person who is watching our house for us while we are on the cruise. Is this something that you have to 'check' with the cruise ship(turn over possession) and have returned at the end of the cruise, or can it be taken directly to your stateroom?

We practically hit every store that was not a chain store or jewelry, so really came home with a variety of "souvenirs." From t-shirts in Skagway really liked the store Klothesrush Rush, found really neat shoes in Juneau for men & women by Native North West that are like the canvas Toms style, Juneau is home to the Glacier silt soap shop (but can find more in Creek Street shops if you want more or didn't get to it) Ketchikan enjoyed the best shopping in back by Creek street (start there). Ketchikan also has best kettle, and caramel popcorn around in store off side street called Orca popcorn, worth the wait if there is a line. Tongass trading is full of cheap souvenirs- a 2017 photo calendar for $1.99, 99cent jade colored little bears etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Buffettfan 225

I would like to buy an ulu as a thank you for the person who is watching our house for us while we are on the cruise. Is this something that you have to 'check' with the cruise ship(turn over possession) and have returned at the end of the cruise, or can it be taken directly to your stateroom?

I bought 2 in the ship's store and nothing was said about holding them for us. Also bought one in Ketchikan. Nothing was said about bringing that one aboard the ship.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Another Ulu fan. My wife lost the use of her right arm & hand in an auto accident at age 18 so cooks one handed and the Ulu knife is indispensable for her for cutting things. Plan to get a new one next year because after 15 years the current one is sort of dull despite sharpening over the years.

For me though I like to try to add to my collection of authentic Pac NW native art (prints).

th?&id=OIP.M3a345b08d593fa5dd3a67a352a44cc91o0&w=145&h=183&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Beaver

Edited by Sequim88

A hand made mask. We ever we travel in the world, we always try to find a hand made mask. We purchased a hand carved/painted wooden one in Sitka, across the street from the St. Michael's Cathedral. It's an eagle's head, which opens up with a bear inside. We have them displayed on a wall, and is wonderful way to remember your journey in finding them. We have almost 100 of them made from wood, stone, paper, coconuts, glass, dried plants, etc.

Glacier Smoothie soap in Juneau. Bought lots and had them ship it home for me. Mammoth ivory earrings, always a conversation starter. Soho Coho near Creek street in Ketchikan has Ray Troll T-shirts, magnets, cards etc. My sons like his art. I have picked up many signed prints & matted photographs that I have framed and given as gifts (and kept for myself).

I've already posted one favorite item (the bear puzzle) but there is something else I thought was pretty cool and different. I found them at one of the gift shops in the cannery building at Icy Strait Point. I also saw them in a store on Creek Street at Ketchikan. Zipper pulls of native designs. Super cool and very inexpensive - about $10 each. I bought a whole handful with nobody in particular in mind. They have been neat little items to give friends at random since being home. They are by an artist named Greg Horner. I did save a couple for myself. :)

raven_zipper_pull_alaska.jpgeagle_zipper_pull_alaska.jpgorca_whale_zipper_pull_alaska.jpgsalmon_zipper_pull_alaska.jpg

I've already posted one favorite item (the bear puzzle) but there is something else I thought was pretty cool and different. I found them at one of the gift shops in the cannery building at Icy Strait Point. I also saw them in a store on Creek Street at Ketchikan. Zipper pulls of native designs. Super cool and very inexpensive - about $10 each. I bought a whole handful with nobody in particular in mind. They have been neat little items to give friends at random since being home. They are by an artist named Greg Horner. I did save a couple for myself. :)

raven_zipper_pull_alaska.jpgeagle_zipper_pull_alaska.jpgorca_whale_zipper_pull_alaska.jpgsalmon_zipper_pull_alaska.jpg

THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Thank you for posting this - I will get a bunch of these for all the folks I want to bring souvenirs to. Love, love, love them.

• 2 weeks later...

We returned last weekend: DID buy a wolf puzzle and the glacial soap too.

Amending my previous recommendation for The Loom in Skagway: I went there again intent on buying a coverlet for our king bed. I was acknowledged as I walked in by being thanked for closing the door the exiting person left open. There were 2 workers in the store and I the only customer. I slowly walked around the small store twice, looking at everything and stopping to read about some of the products. I did not see exactly what I wanted and was prepared to see if they would create a custom piece the size, color, and design I'd like. If they did custom pieces, it would be quite costly--I assume--based on the pricing for their queen and king bedspreads/sham sets. However, NEITHER of the 2 workers said another word to me!!! I guess they were (wrongly!!) assuming I was just looking and couldn't afford their items...but I'm a previous customer and have recommended the shop to others (especially guests in my home who admire the items). They still have beautiful things but you need to be aware that at least this year, customer service leaves a lot to be desired (last year, customer service was excellent!).