Sailing on Rhapsody in one month - Venice stay pre,post-cruise questions

I will be sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas out of Venice on the July 15 voyage. I know it is a bit short in time but I originally booked the August 26 sailing had to change plans at the last minute. Anyway, I am looking for place to stay before and after the cruise and sort out transportation to and from the cruise terminal. Me and my girlfriend will arrive to Venice by air on July 14. The cruise departs on July 15 and returns on the 25th. We are leaving the next day on the 26th. Flight arrival and departure are both mid-morning.

We have been to Venice before on a prior cruise that did an overnight call in 2011 so we are familiar with the city, or at least have a feel on how things move there. We used Alilaguna and ACTV ferries at some point during our visit and walked around quite a bit. From the little homework I have done so far I have found that the least expensive ways from the Marco Polo airport to the city is to ride a bus to the Piazzale Roma or the orange Alilaguna line. This will depend on the hotel of course. My main worry is getting from the hotel to the cruise terminal since we will be carrying luggage (one large suitcase and a smaller one per person plus a backpack and a purse) to the terminal. And then the way back from the terminal to the hotel for the post-cruise stay.

So there.

1. Most convenient location to stay? I am thinking about the area near the train station where we could walk to the Piazzale Roma and then take the people mover. And then walk to the pier.

2. Best way to get between airport and hotel? Is it worth it to book this through the cruise line?

3. Best way to go from hotel to cruise terminal? What pier is normally used by Royal Caribbean in cruises sailing out of Venice? I know there are several piers and walking distance will depend on this. And then back when we disembark.

4. Specific hotel suggestions? Not looking for fancy or expensive hotels but not looking to stay in a dump either. Not sure if this is on the low side but no more than 150€ per night. It will be two nights in separate stays. The night of July 14 and the night of July 25.

I also posted in the Trip Advisor forum but I think I can get more specific suggestions here from people who have done this or are even in the same sailing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal very nice breakfast included and a comfortable thirty minute walk through the streets and alleys to St Marks Square.

Loads of shops cafés and restaurants nearby including a rooftop bar.

It is no more than a five minute walk over two bridges from Plaza Roma which as you know is excellent to walk back to on the morning of your cruise to catch the people mover €1.50 per person and a two minute ride to the port then another five minute walk to your ship.No idea which pier your ship will be at but you will easily see and find it after getting off the people mover.

The hotel is situated opposite the railway station.

Best way to the hotel is by local transport Alilaguna or Actv are very good and reliable RCI transfers will be far more expensive.

Have stayed at this hotel several times and never been disapointed having said that there are lots of hotels within a few minutes walk of Plaza Roma which is an ideal location.

We used hotel Ca Doge both pre and post cruise in Oct 2015.

Location wise this is perfect as it is right at Piazzale Roma. People mover entry/exit was literally across the street from hotel. So it's giving very easy access to cruise terminal and to airport.

We walked to and from the cruise terminal to People mover rolling our luggage easily. Splendour was docked furthest at the pier. I dont know if it is the same terminal which Rhapsody is using, or if it changes from cruise to cruise depending which ships are there. But that was the furthest and it was still walkable distance. We are mid forties, not very fit or sporty and had one piece of luggage each to roll.

Stay in Mestre near the train station. Best Western Bologna very nice. A nice B&B in Mestre, you can walk from train station, 216 Avenue. You can book on Bookings.com.

Around 60 Euro p/n with breakfast. Very nice people run this B&B.

We got home Tuesday after a great holiday on the ship together with a 2 night pre and 1 night post cruise stay.

I would recommend The Plaza Hotel in Mestre, book a deluxe room.

We were on the 8th floor, quiet location. The room was very large, the hotel includes breakfast which is both hot and cold assortments and a restaurant if you want other options.

The restaurant also does food from scratch on a night with a viewing window to see the chefs at work.

The hotel is directly opposite the railway station in Mestre and 100 yards from the bus terminal which has a direct connection to the airport.

Venice is a 1.25 euro train ride away taking 10 minutes.

The taxi the hotel organised to take us back to the airport was 35 euros fixed price. The cost to the port was similar with bags dropped directly at the porters.

When we arrived at 0930 on the day we disembarked they immediately provided us with a room and so we were able to settle in and then spend the whole day in Venice.

Rhapsody is in great shape, crew are really good.

I can highly recommend hotel Fontana --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d239024-Reviews-Hotel_Fontana-Venice_Veneto.html

Booked directly with the hotel. Got 10% for paying cash.

We used the Alilaguna from Marco Polo to S. Zaccaria, no bridges to cross with the luggage, then, on the morning of the cruise, took the Alilaguna Blue line to the cruise terminal, right on the dock, very easy to carry the luggage to the ship.

We arrived 2 days before the cruise. 4th time in Venice, but 1st time staying in the city and not in Mestre. It was amazing seeing the city in the early morning, before the crowds.

Hi,

My wife and I have been to Venice several times, a couple for cruises. We have stayed at the ABBAZIA DE LUXE twice as it has a great location overlooking the canal, and is next door to the train station.

When we have stayed there we have taken the boat from the airport to a stop near the hotel- Guglie. {2 min walk}.

When leaving for the port you can pull your cases for 10 min to the monorail and get off at the port.

Hotel is wonderful. Suggest the suite with Grand canal view and you will not be disappointed.

David

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott by the airport - the 5 bus that goes to Venice (from the airport) has its first stop in front of the hotel. Not the most convenient (got it free with Marriott points) but the bus being right there helps. The hotel has discounted bus ticket. The bus ticket will also work on the people mover.

Pier use varies (last month we went out of 109 and returned to 107) - all about the same distance from the people mover. If you can get to Piazza Romale that would be a convenient way to get to/from terminal.

Be prepared for a zoo at the airport upon departure.

I've stayed at Hotel Arlecchino. It is one small bridge from Piazzle Roma. We took the bus from the airport to P Roma. It is a short walk to the hotel. For the cruise, we walked across P Roma (easy with wheeled bags) to catch the people mover. Great hotel and very convenient to the cruise.

My family stayed at the Residenza Ca Foscolo. It is near the Rialto Bridge, which is good since the water bus goes there from the airport (3rd stop) and also you can take the water bus over to the people mover for the cruise ship. I think it does not matter too much where you stay on the island as long as you are close to a water bus stop. Watching tourists get lost while carrying luggage over countless bridges in Venice is a favorite activity for some, so make sure you don't fall into the trap. Asking people on the street for directions also never works since there are so many hotels and they are poorly marked. My goal would be make sure you stay at a hotel where you don't have to cross a canal from where the water bus stops since luggage in Venice is no fun.

I am really liking the Fontana Hotel. Didn't think on being near San Marco but it is so close to a Blue line Alilaguna stop that goes to both the airport and the terminal that it makes it an excellent choice. The price is around my expected rate. Took a virtual walk using Google Street View and it is a very easy walk.

How long does it take to get from the airport to S. Zaccaria and back? It looks like it takes a while because the Blue line stops in Murano and Lido. I am not worried about the S.Zaccaria to cruise terminal leg since we would be on our own time without a hurry. In my prior visit I went from the terminal to the San Marco stop on Alilaguna.

I am really liking the Fontana Hotel. Took a virtual walk using Google Street View and it is a very easy walk.

How long does it take to get from the airport to S. Zaccaria and back?

I agree with you, no bridges, no steps ...

It took around 40-45 min. We didn't mind -- got a "free ride" to see the sights from another POV, and after the long flight it was night to just relax and soak up Venice :)

Book directly with the hotel, and, on top of that, save the 10% for paying cash. We r paying very high commissions on our credit cards, so, whenever possible, we pay cash...

1. Most convenient location to stay? I am thinking about the area near the train station where we could walk to the Piazzale Roma and then take the people mover. And then walk to the pier. YES to Piazzale Roma. It was so amazing to only drag my suitcases over a single bridge and not have to lug them onto water taxis.

2. Best way to get between airport and hotel? Is it worth it to book this through the cruise line? We took the ATVO shuttle bus. It was 15 euros round trip a person, and very easy

3. Best way to go from hotel to cruise terminal? What pier is normally used by Royal Caribbean in cruises sailing out of Venice? I know there are several piers and walking distance will depend on this. And then back when we disembark. I believe we left from something with a 17 in it, and when we came back we were much closer. We took the people mover (1.5 euros a person) and it was very easy....just a bit of a walk getting out to the ship. Nothing a little pre-cruise excitement couldn't fuel

4. Specific hotel suggestions? Not looking for fancy or expensive hotels but not looking to stay in a dump either. Not sure if this is on the low side but no more than 150€ per night. It will be two nights in separate stays. The night of July 14 and the night of July 25. On our way out, we stayed at Locanda Allogi Marinella. On our way back, Arlecchino. Both had free wifi and breakfast, though Arlecchino's was more extensive. Arlechinno is on the water. Both were wonderful places, both allowed us to be in our rooms by no later than 10 AM. Arlecchino is on the canal. Both were between 150-200 euros a night and were old fashioned yet clean. I used this website to get insight, ideas, and ultimately links to book http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels.htm

I also posted in the Trip Advisor forum but I think I can get more specific suggestions here from people who have done this or are even in the same sailing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I booked both stays in the Fontana Hotel and will use the Alilaguna Bluie line to get back and forth. Not the fastest or least expensive but is the easiest. The only thing that I am a little bit concerned is the trip from the hotel to the airport on the day we depart from Venice after the cruise. I see from the Alilaguna timetables that it takes about one hour to get from S.Zaccaria to the airport. The way in seems to take longer but we will not be in a hurry then. There is a departure at S.Zaccaria at 6:55 AM which would arrive to the airport around 8:00 AM. Our flight departs at 10:55 AM. Is three hours enough to get through security and inmigration and board the plane? This will be on Tuesday July 26.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu/blu-timetable

Another question now about the cruise itself. It is a 10-day itinerary. How many elegant/formal nights does this voyage have? Which days? It will be the July 15 voyage.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/10NightGreeceTheAdriaticCruise-RH10M146?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sDateMin=2016-07-01&sDateMax=2016-07-31&sailDate=07%2F15%2F2016

I There is a departure at S.Zaccaria at 6:55 AM which would arrive to the airport around 8:00 AM. Our flight departs at 10:55 AM. Is three hours enough to get through security and inmigration and board the plane? This will be on Tuesday July 26.

Another question now about the cruise itself. It is a 10-day itinerary. How many elegant/formal nights does this voyage have? Which days? It will be the July 15 voyage.

3 hours is plenty (on most airlines you can't checkin more than 3 hours out) - just be prepared for a zoo at the airport.

2 formal nights, first one will be the second night, the second will be around day 8.

We took the ATVO shuttle bus. It was 15 euros round trip a person, and very easy

We took the people mover (1.5 euros a person) and it was very easy....just a bit of a walk getting out to the ship.

The bus ticket also gets you onto the people mover - no need to buy another ticket.;)

3 hours is plenty (on most airlines you can't checkin more than 3 hours out) - just be prepared for a zoo at the airport.

I have seen more than once this type of description of the Venice airport. Why is this? Looking in Google Earth I see there was a big construction last year and that it will be about 1/3 of a mile walk from the terminal to the vaporetto pier. Why is it a zoo? Disorganized? Too crowded?

Just found that there is a festival on July 16-17 in Venice, right after my cruise departs. They put a pontoon bridge from Zattere to the church at Giudecca. We are going to stay close to that area but should not affect the Alilaguna Blue line from what I can see. However the bridge will likely be there or at least being built by the time we will be there and I assume boat traffic will be messier than usual.

Is there any concern about this I should be aware of for my pre-cruise stay on July 14-15? Should I expect a crowded city those days due to the festival?

Also found a few days ago that the Alilaguna S.Zaccaria stop is visible on a webcam. It is the leftmost pier in this camera view. Been watching the arrival of the Blue line Alilaguna boats as per their published timetable and they leave right on time. That is good to know. And also few people board in the 6:55 AM departure so looks like it will be fine even with luggage.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/riva-schiavoni.html

Also found a few days ago that the Alilaguna S.Zaccaria stop is visible on a webcam. It is the leftmost pier in this camera view. Been watching the arrival of the Blue line Alilaguna boats as per their published timetable and they leave right on time. That is good to know. And also few people board in the 6:55 AM departure so looks like it will be fine even with luggage.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/riva-schiavoni.html

How cool! Thanks for the link, now I have something to stalk for the next couple of weeks!!