Wines by the glass

Quinte Girl

We've had the beverage package on more than one occasion. It's the menu price. You DO NOT take a $7.95 drink and add 15% ($9.14) and say, "Hey! That's over $8. I need to get something else."

You're misinterpreting the program. The package, whether purchased or comp'd, includes the gratuities, but they're not a factor in what counts as $8 and under. It's the menu price.

Seriously.

Really.

I mean it.

We've looked into it a bit. ;) http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999316

If you've had the SBP more recently than a month ago and you're 100% certain that it's changed, let us know which ship and what you weren't allowed to order. Your reasoning excluded all the Signature Cocktails and Drinks of the Day which are usually $7.95.

As of two weeks ago on the Noordam, your response was still correct. ;)

We've enjoyed the Explore 4 package more than once (it can be a 'spoiler' really) so I'll add my two cents.

If you like to return to your cabin in the late afternoon for, say, a movie or reading session you can combine two pours into one regular 12 oz. glass (or at least the bartenders did so that served us) so you need not go back & forth for single pours while using the beverage package feature.

Likewise, if your a beer drinker you can take #2 'brewski's' back to the cabin at once. Some bartenders will require a 5 minute break between card swipes while others do it all at once. I'm not sure what the standard policy is really but never-the-less it works for me (and that's all that matter, no?).

Your cabin will have a couple of wine glasses as standard setup so you just need to transfer the 'pours' to the appropriate glassware.

Have yourselves a great cruise.

Bob:)

I've always wondered about that "5 minute" thing. As you mentioned, some bartenders do it and some don't. Maybe it depends on your level of intoxication at the time? :p

If I order a glass of Champagne or Prosecco, do I get the same amount of wine compared to ordering a glass of Chardonnay? or a glass of white zinfandel?

Any comments on the white wines by the carafe? Thanks :) m--

If I order a glass of Champagne or Prosecco, do I get the same amount of wine compared to ordering a glass of Chardonnay? or a glass of white zinfandel?

As a general rule, a serving of sparkling wine is slightly smaller than a serving of still wine. You typically count on 5 glasses per bottle of still wine and 6 for sparkling. It's usually 5 oz vs 4.

Unfortunately, the only sparkler available by the glass under the SBC is the rather nasty Pol Clement stuff that HAL serves at receptions and hands out as their "free champagne" in your cabin.

Unfortunately, the only sparkler available by the glass under the SBC is the rather nasty Pol Clement stuff that HAL serves at receptions and hands out as their "free champagne" in your cabin.

Is there no longer a Prosecco? There was one last September that DW liked.

never mind. fouremco beat me to it :)

Edited by VennDiagram

The CC posters are correct on this, not the long-winded, confusing legalese of HAL's website description. If you outright purchase the SBP, the cost is $44.95 per person/per day, PLUS the 15% service charge, or $51.70 per day. You pay the service charge upfront when you buy the package. So your drink price limit is a flat $8. The service charge has already been paid when you bought the SBP, so it doesn't figure into your final drink price.

It gets a little different when the SBP is provided "free" as part of Explore-4. You still don't have to concern yourselves about the service charge, it is bundled into the cost of your "free" SBP.

Either way, with the SBP free or purchased, your drink price limit is $8, the SC does not reduce the cost of your drink.

This is still true as of 45 days ago on a recent HAL cruise.

I have never had a bartender apply the 5 minute rule. I have ordered doubles with no problems, and they run them through as 2 drinks, at the same time, on the same ticket.

Plus, I have had friends who exceeded the 15 drink limit (yes, they were still walking because there were 2 specialty coffees, 4 bottles of water, and 2 sodas in that total). They had no problems. This is really up to each individual ship. A general rule of thumb.... trust what recent HAL guests say here on CC first. Their actual, on-the-ship experience is more realistic than HAL's website and HAL's phone agents.

Edited by TAD2005

We plan on purchasing several bottles of wine before we get on board, and willing to pay the corkage charge. Worth it for us, wine drinkers... I think that's a lot to pay onboard. I got spoiled on my last 2 cruises where everything was included, and it was good stuff.

Thank you! I suspected it might be smaller but probably enough for me. I will not have a beverage package so the prices are what they are, plus 15%.

There was a Prosecco on the By the Glass menu posted by Crew News, and that sounded good to me! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

We have heard some people complain about the mandatory 15% service charge tacked onto the SBP when it is purchased (not part of Explore-4). They feel that they are paying a service charge for drinks they will never consume, thinking that the service charge is based on 15 drinks. "I'll never drink 15 per day, so why should I pay a service charge for 15 drinks".

Actually, with the average drink price of $7.50 plus the 15%, it comes to about $8.62 per drink if you had no SBP, and were paying by the drink.

With a total per-day SBP cost of $51.70, divided by $8.62, that equals 6 drinks. So, with the SBP, you are, in reality, paying for 6 drinks per day including service charge. If you get one bottle of water or a soda over that 6, it is free, and you are not paying any service charge on it. The SBP is great for some people, and not worth the expense for others. It all depends on what your usual cruise beverage consumption is. And remember, the SBP covers all liquid refreshments, beer, wines, cocktails, specialty coffees, hot chocolates, sodas, water, etc.

Am I a fan of the SBP ?.... you bet I am, but it works for me. maybe it doesn't for you.

Edited by TAD2005

Thank you! I suspected it might be smaller but probably enough for me. I will not have a beverage package so the prices are what they are, plus 15%.

There was a Prosecco on the By the Glass menu posted by Crew News, and that sounded good to me! m--

There was a Prosecco on the Noordam as of two weeks ago, and it wasn't bad.