How formal does it get on an Alanskan cruise?

Bimmie Girl

We are doing an 8 day land tour before our cruise, which means our ship clothes will be packed for 8-9 before being hung. We usually dress up for formal night and plan on it this cruise, but I thought of taking a black knit maxi dress and a black knit short sleeve dress for the formal nights as the wrinkles will just fall out when hung. I can dress it up with a jewelry and a formal shawl. I am concerned for my husband as I can get away with dressing up a black dress, what do the men wear? he usually wears a suit and tie to dinner. How do you pack them without getting them too wrinkled? does he need a suit coat or is shirt and tie, sport coat good. We have heard that the Alaskan cruises are not as dressy as the other cruises we have been on because of the land cruises and more casual dress? is this true?

We are sailing on the Island Princess if that matters at all.

You would be better off asking this on the Princess board, but since I've done quite a few Princess cruises to Alaska, I'll go ahead and answer here. I cannot compare whether it is more/less formal in Alaska than other cruises, since I have only cruised to Alaska. My observation is that at least half the men are wearing suits. A few wear tuxedos, but not a lot. The vast majority are at least wearing long sleeved shirts and ties. I have seen some underdressed, in "smart casual" on formal nights, but they are not turned away from the dining room.

I've sailed on three Princess cruises to Alaska. They are less formal--fewer tuxedos and suits and more sport coats or just shirt and ties. These days, most maitre d's will let almost any outfit into the dining room even on formal nights.

I have a rolling folding garment bag that holds our sport coats, dress shirts, plus a lot more. I've found that leaving each garment in dry cleaning plastic helps keep them from getting too many wrinkles.

I've sailed on three Princess cruises to Alaska. They are less formal--fewer tuxedos and suits and more sport coats or just shirt and ties. These days, most maitre d's will let almost any outfit into the dining room even on formal nights.

I have a rolling folding garment bag that holds our sport coats, dress shirts, plus a lot more. I've found that leaving each garment in dry cleaning plastic helps keep them from getting too many wrinkles.

Great tip for DH suits, will try that one

You would be better off asking this on the Princess board, but since I've done quite a few Princess cruises to Alaska, I'll go ahead and answer here. I cannot compare whether it is more/less formal in Alaska than other cruises, since I have only cruised to Alaska. My observation is that at least half the men are wearing suits. A few wear tuxedos, but not a lot. The vast majority are at least wearing long sleeved shirts and ties. I have seen some underdressed, in "smart casual" on formal nights, but they are not turned away from the dining room.

I thought about the Princess board, but if I saw the question on Princess, I know how they dress and it is formal. I think only Alaskan cruisers would be able to tell it true, knowing about the land tours and having dress clothes in a bag for a week, so that is why I asked it here. What you mention above is pretty much what I have read, thanks for that!

Edited by Bimmie Girl

On celebrity in luminae I wore a little black dress and heels, husband was in dress shirt, blazer and designer jeans. We saw no tuxes, a few suits, and very few ties in luminae. We were both dressed in sync with others dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess's dress code does not change for each itinerary, it really doesn't matter if its Alaska, the Caribbean or the Mediterranean. Frankly I have not noticed a significant difference in how people dress on an Alaskan cruise vs any other itinerary other than you may see a few more jeans and sweaters on smart casual nights. On formal nights I have observed that the vast majority do observe the dress code for the MDR; that is not to say that people are turned away for being to casually dressed, they are not. It really comes down to your own comfort level sitting in the MDR in casual attire when everyone else has observed the dress code. Personally speaking while I always cruise with a tux or dinner jacket and enjoy doing so, I would be very happy if Princess would follow the lead of HAL and get rid of the label "formal night" and go to "gala nights" with a much more relaxed dress code, sadly it's a time who has come.

I use the same method for shirts, suits, etc and works very well.

Princess no matter the itinerary is way less formal that it once was.

Even on Formal Nights in the MDR your husband will be perfectly fine in a sports coat and a collared shirt (with or without a tie or even a golf shirt) and a sports coat is not absolutely necessary. :)

On celebrity in luminae I wore a little black dress and heels, husband was in dress shirt, blazer and designer jeans. We saw no tuxes, a few suits, and very few ties in luminae. We were both dressed in sync with others dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Celebrity no longer has formal dress nights. Princess does.

The last few cruises,on Princess,dh just wore a long sleeved collared shirt and no tie or jacket.I was fine.Especially,when flying,we want to cut back on clothes as much as we can.

I do not think they would turn anyone away,as long as they are not in shorts and have,at least,a collared shirt.

We are doing an 8 day land tour before our cruise, which means our ship clothes will be packed for 8-9 before being hung. We usually dress up for formal night and plan on it this cruise, but I thought of taking a black knit maxi dress and a black knit short sleeve dress for the formal nights as the wrinkles will just fall out when hung. I can dress it up with a jewelry and a formal shawl. I am concerned for my husband as I can get away with dressing up a black dress, what do the men wear?

We are sailing on the Island Princess if that matters at all.

I am packing black crepe dressy pants with nice tops. No cocktail dresses. DH will bring sport coat with tie and dress pants. He wouldn't feel right he said, without a jacket for formal night.

We always use plastic cleaners bags around our clothes to help prevent wrinkles. Plus dh chooses all season wool which is great for traveling.

Only the MDR on Celebrity has the Evening Chic nights. Luminae and the specialty restaurants are smart casual all week.

I am packing black crepe dressy pants with nice tops. No cocktail dresses. DH will bring sport coat with tie and dress pants. He wouldn't feel right he said, without a jacket for formal night.

We always use plastic cleaners bags around our clothes to help prevent wrinkles. Plus dh chooses all season wool which is great for traveling.

that is what DH said also. Love the idea for packing it in the cleaner bag that you and "geoherb" suggested to help with the wrinkles. Looks like we are set. Thanks you all.

Edited by Bimmie Girl

Princess's dress code does not change for each itinerary, it really doesn't matter if its Alaska, the Caribbean or the Mediterranean. Frankly I have not noticed a significant difference in how people dress on an Alaskan cruise vs any other itinerary other than you may see a few more jeans and sweaters on smart casual nights. On formal nights I have observed that the vast majority do observe the dress code for the MDR; that is not to say that people are turned away for being to casually dressed, they are not. It really comes down to your own comfort level sitting in the MDR in casual attire when everyone else has observed the dress code. Personally speaking while I always cruise with a tux or dinner jacket and enjoy doing so, I would be very happy if Princess would follow the lead of HAL and get rid of the label "formal night" and go to "gala nights" with a much more relaxed dress code, sadly it's a time who has come.

Good to know, thanks! We feel much better being overdressed than under dressed any day.

We just got back from a 7 day Alaskan cruise on the Coral Princess. I paid a lot of attention to what people were wearing on the formal nights because this issue comes up a lot on these boards and I wasn't sure what to bring to wear. I can honestly say I saw a wide range of attire, and the 1st seating was less formal than the 2nd seating. We had the 1st seating.

For the men, almost all of them wore 2 piece suits. There were a few with sports jackets, but not many. I didn't see any tuxes.

The women in the 1st seating wore pant suits and dresses. Many were suitable (IMO) for wearing to work (professionals). I wore a cocktail dress and almost felt overdressed. On the second formal night I wore a shiny gold top with cream pants and that was perfectly acceptable.

I noticed while the 2nd seating people were getting their photos taken, that they were much better dressed. Many ladies wore evening gowns and cocktail dresses.

Those are just my observations on my one and only Alaskan cruise. YMMV