Jewel class: owners suite vs. haven floor rooms

bobdcl

Hi: looking at booking the Gem out of NYC- DOS ( on deck 15) already taken.. not sure if i should book owners suite (90004 or 95004) vs. 2 bedroom PH ( 14006 or 14506) will we be too far away from Haven on deck 9?? First time cruising in Haven and wanted some insights..

Thx

Hi: looking at booking the Gem out of NYC- DOS ( on deck 15) already taken.. not sure if i should book owners suite (90004 or 95004) vs. 2 bedroom PH ( 14006 or 14506) will we be too far away from Haven on deck 9?? First time cruising in Haven and wanted some insights..

Thx

9004 and 9504 are the rooms plus there are two on 10 unless they are sold out. How many of you are there? If 4 probably best for the 2br. The OS will get you 3 bottles booze plus unlimited in room water and soda. The OS also have a front and side balcony which is nice. For us, if 2 then OS but if 4 with older kids or adults, then 2br.

Thanks- 3 of of me, wife & 6 year old.. i just feel that being on the 9th floor may be too far away from the Haven?? we sailed last year on Disney fantasy and were right outside the concierge lounge and it was great.. not sure if the larger room ( OS) with a few add'l perks outweighs being on Haven floor--- & not sure how much we will actually use haven?? what has been your experience-- use it a lot, or not much??..

One more question regarding the OS ( which face forward)-- is there much wind on the forward facing balconies?? can you use them when the ship is truly " at sea" or more like when the ship is docking or in port??

thx

We sailed on the Gem out of NYC in 14006. Very quiet, great location (close to elevator). Starboard side is great out of NYC as you sail by the Statue of Liberty....

Great thing about the 2-BR is that you can put the little guy to bed in his own room and still stay up in the living room or out on the balcony.....and two full baths. In the OS, the master BR is separate so your son would sleep on a fold out couch/sleeper in the living room - full bath plus half bath.

Our girls loved being close to the Haven pool....and they were typically the only ones in it the entire week! No pushing, extra splashing and pretty quiet! Also rained one afternoon on a sea day....they closed the roof most of the way and we were able to enjoy the Courtyard.

We were in one of those 9th floor owners suites on the Jewel. It was 4 of us (with a 4 year old and 8 year old) and we had originally booked a family suite but got upgraded to the OS. It was an amazing room! I didn't feel it was terribly inconvenint being away from the Haven. We had never sailed inside the haven before so we didn't know the difference. Our kids are both boys, so they slept together on the pull out sofa.

The front balcony was our favorite part! We were cruising in Alaska so the views were incredible. But it was super windy. But you also have a side balcony so it's best of both worlds!

The only benefits you would get in the H3 VS the H4 is three bottles of booze and unlimited sodas and water for the cruise. You can buy bottles and bring a case of soda in the H4 and you are right in the Haven. The H3 is a long way out, it's nice to be able to look out your front door to see if the hot tub is empty and your kid has a private bedroom w/bath room, no brainer.

thanks to everyone for posting--all good points-- i'm still trying to decide-- definite pros & cons to each (not really con's)- just differences..

Yeah, your dilemna is one I wouldn't mind having.

Whichever you choose I am sure you will have a great cruise. Please let us know what you decide.

9004 and 9504 are the rooms plus there are two on 10 unless they are sold out. How many of you are there? If 4 probably best for the 2br. The OS will get you 3 bottles booze plus unlimited in room water and soda. The OS also have a front and side balcony which is nice. For us, if 2 then OS but if 4 with older kids or adults, then 2br.

I've stayed on the Gem in 9004 & on the Jade in same OS & the 2 balconies are amazing, the front one is good for sunbathing, coming into ports best view plus if u sit at back u can get shade, the side balcony is shaded & pretty much wind free. I found the Haven on Jewel ships for me not worthwhile visiting as pool the size of your bathtub & the whole area felt like a sauna & it's not like there is a bar or anything there. Just small pool, for hot tub, chairs & a table with coffee, cookies laid out. Truly on both Gem & Jade walked up once just to check it out. I think u will be more than pleased with Gem OS.

It was just the 2 of us in the OS, I'd stat 4 with the other 2 were children but if they were adults I'd got for the 2 bedroom suite.

Edited by dlynn0366

I've stayed on the Gem in 9004 & on the Jade in same OS & the 2 balconies are amazing, the front one is good for sunbathing, coming into ports best view plus if u sit at back u can get shade, the side balcony is shaded & pretty much wind free. I found the Haven on Jewel ships for me not worthwhile visiting as pool the size of your bathtub & the whole area felt like a sauna & it's not like there is a bar or anything there. Just small pool, for hot tub, chairs & a table with coffee, cookies laid out. Truly on both Gem & Jade walked up once just to check it out. I think u will be more than pleased with Gem OS.

It was just the 2 of us in the OS, I'd stat 4 with the other 2 were children but if they were adults I'd got for the 2 bedroom suite.

I agree. My wife and I were in 9504 on the Gem this past March and loved the cabin. I was worried about the Haven being a few floors up but honestly didn't use it much (maybe 3 days over the 10 day trip). The Haven didn't do much for me. The cabin's front balcony is amazing and we spent our sea days on it and never had issues with wind. I don't see three in the cabin being an issue.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Thanks- 3 of of me, wife & 6 year old.. i just feel that being on the 9th floor may be too far away from the Haven?? we sailed last year on Disney fantasy and were right outside the concierge lounge and it was great.. not sure if the larger room ( OS) with a few add'l perks outweighs being on Haven floor--- & not sure how much we will actually use haven?? what has been your experience-- use it a lot, or not much??..

One more question regarding the OS ( which face forward)-- is there much wind on the forward facing balconies?? can you use them when the ship is truly " at sea" or more like when the ship is docking or in port??

thx

To add, the Haven isn't like DCL Concierge Lounge. NCL has a very limited selection of food out, cookies and candy, sometimes shortbreads - nothing like DCL lounge and there are no open bar times like DCL. On NCL they bring the afternoon snacks to your room and you can order B, L, D to your room.

The forward facing balconies while underway are windy if you are standing up. If you sit down on the chairs usually it isn't too big of an issue.

thx

The wind on the front deck while sitting down was never an issue. The only thing is you do lose your privacy if this important as the bridge looks down on you. I'd not hesitate with a 6 year old staying in room, the couch without being pulled out even would make a nice comfy bed. Trust me your 6 year old would not enjoy the Haven pool as I'm sure your bath tub at home is bigger :D

We actually like the front center penthouse suites. While not a true Havens room, you get the butler, concierge and private dining room. Being front and center was the best way to sail alaska.

When you say "private dining room"...what are you referring to...? Is that the ability to have breakfast and lunch in the designated restaurant for Haven guests...?

My husband and I have one of the front facing penthouse suites on the Jewel booked for Alaska, but are considering a move to the Haven--if that dining option I mention above is NOT a part of the penthouse perks...?

Thanks so much...! :)

When you say "private dining room"...what are you referring to...? Is that the ability to have breakfast and lunch in the designated restaurant for Haven guests...?

My husband and I have one of the front facing penthouse suites on the Jewel booked for Alaska, but are considering a move to the Haven--if that dining option I mention above is NOT a part of the penthouse perks...?

If your room category starts with a "S" or "H" you are able to use the private restaurant for B and L on the Jewel.

• 3 weeks later...

What sailing, Yo Adrienne? We are on the July 30 sailing and really looking forward to it! We have one OS and one front facing penthouse.

We sailed on the Gem out of NYC in 14006. Very quiet, great location (close to elevator). Starboard side is great out of NYC as you sail by the Statue of Liberty....

Great thing about the 2-BR is that you can put the little guy to bed in his own room and still stay up in the living room or out on the balcony.....and two full baths. In the OS, the master BR is separate so your son would sleep on a fold out couch/sleeper in the living room - full bath plus half bath.

Our girls loved being close to the Haven pool....and they were typically the only ones in it the entire week! No pushing, extra splashing and pretty quiet! Also rained one afternoon on a sea day....they closed the roof most of the way and we were able to enjoy the Courtyard.

The 2 BR on this ship class are our favorites. Really great with a little guy.

We have been in the OS on Deck 10 ( 10004) on two sailings and will be there again next year for Norway. The suite is enormous and the views from both balconies can't be beat. We don't mind the walk to the elevator and up to deck 14 ( Haven) as it gives us an extra chance to walk off some of the calories we've consumed;) We were also in an OS on our first NCL cruise - the Crown!

The OS was not available on our Sun cruise next month, so we're in a penthouse- no Haven on the Sun!

Edited by poly3503

OS- balcony(s), far superior. The alcove type side balcony is wonderful in windy or crummy weather. Large living area. The water, soda and liquor/wine are a plus for me.

2 bedroom- excellent bathroom layout that overlooks the sea. That really is the only plus for me when I need 2 bedrooms.

I don't think Haven Courtyard location , nor separate restaurant for Haven guests, are important factors. My experience, in general, is that Haven restaurants tend to be slow; maybe trying for a 6yo. If you like their menu as opposed to main dining or room service menu, you can order for in-room dining. You may not use the Courtyard much and it's not a long walk.

Thx

What sailing, Yo Adrienne? We are on the July 30 sailing and really looking forward to it! We have one OS and one front facing penthouse.

Newfun4me...are you the one from a different thread talking about an upsell to the owner's suite...? (I could be thinking of someone else, though.)

We don't actually cruise till 2017...but have done an OS on the Sun, the Jewel and the Pearl...all three to Alaska...and all three were amazing. 2017 will also be to Alaska--we just can't enough of that scenery...!

So excited for your July 30 sailing...! Which ship...? Which itinerary...? Is this your first Alaskan cruise...? If so, need any tips...?

Can't wait to hear details of your trip...hope you'll also post a review...! :)

Thx

Jewel class ships (Gem, Pearl, Jade, Jewel) have Havens which amount to a private area for sunbathing, and a courtyard area that has a movable roof.

In addition to the Haven Suites, the 4 owner's suites on decks 9 and 10 also have haven access.

As for dining - all suites have access to Cagney's/Modernero for breakfast and lunch. By now all of the jewel class ships have re-located Modernero to the area next to Cagneys - ie deck 13 Mid Ship - right next to the elevators that have access to deck 14 - the Haven - yes you have to insert your room key to get the elevator to go to deck 14.