All these shoes [emoji85]!???

4olivers

So we are 2 weeks away from wheels up and beginning our 13 day Alaskan adventure! I've perused all posts I could and taken in all the tips, we are officially underway packing our family of 4 now in hopes of weeding out the unnecessary and being organized....

I have hiking shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops, heels, casual sandals and comfy slip ons set aside to be packed. I see so many posts about ppl (ladies) only taking 2-3 pr of shoes, period, I just don't seem to be able to do that!!

What are your most often worn pr of shoes while in Alaska ladies?

(We are on land 4 days and cruising 7, traveling 2)

Also for a July trip, do most wear shorts or long pants?? HELP!!!! My suitcase is overflowing already so I know I need to scale it back a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 4olivers

I mostly wear a good pair of sneakers. IF I am doing any actual hiking or walking on rough trails, I take my low-cut hiking shoes, because they give me more support and traction. I always take flip-flops because I do go to the pool and hot tub. I do usually take 2 pairs of dress shoes, one heels and one flats. I could take only one, but I don't have to fly, so I splurge. ;) Sometimes I throw in another pair of casual sneakers, if I can make them fit.

You don't mention the ages or genders of your kids, but my boys take 2 pairs, sneakers and dress shoes. My daughter usually takes more.

I always take both shorts and long pants, but what I wear the most depends on what the weather ends up being. Of course, I will wear shorts if it's over 60. I've had weeks where I wore mostly shorts and weeks where I wear mostly long pants. I do also take capris, as a compromise. I have one son who wears only jeans, and the other wears only shorts, regardless of weather. Again, my daughter is more like me.

Helpful!! Thank you! Our boys are 11 snd 15 and one wears shorts with a sweatshirt here in NC even when it's 40° outside! My other son tends to be more cold natured like his dad!

We are checking 2 large suitcases and carrying on 3 so if it fits between those bags it'll make the cut, if not I'll have to start pulling stuff out to leave behind. :)

Edited by 4olivers

On most of our cruises, they are "drive to" ports, so no worries about over packing.

Naturally airline is involved going from Florida to Alaska. Soooo....we are limiting ourselves

to our one suitcase a piece and one carry on. Weight limits at check in is the problem of course.

I want to take about what you listed, but not sure if I will be able to take them all.

The luggage scale will determine that. ;)

Will wear the tennis shoes on the plane, but would also love to take another back up pair

(or hiking shoes) in the suitcase, though they of course add to that weight. One pair should

be fine, unless they get really wet. :eek: :(

Edited by island lady

I am female and I take tennis shoes and flats. That is it. Almost ready to drop flats as I hate formal nights.

I have been to Alaska many times and never needed hiking boots or any of the other type of shoes you are packing. This isn't the Caribbean.

Edited by Coral

I am female and I take tennis shoes and flats. That is it. Almost ready to drop flats as I hate formal nights.

I have been to Alaska many times and never needed hiking boots or any of the other type of shoes you are packing. This isn't the Caribbean.

Nice and easy, good for you! :)

Though we are ones that like to dress up for dinner. My cocktail dress looks funny

with my well worn sneakers on. :D

To each their own. ;)

And yes, we have been to both the Carib and Alaska several times also.

Edited by island lady

Nice and easy, good for you! :)

Though we are ones that like to dress up for dinner. My cocktail dress looks funny

with my well worn sneakers on. :D

To each their own. ;)

And yes, we have been to both the Carib and Alaska several times also.

I did say flats. I am almost 5'11 - I don't need heels. It doesn't take much space to pack flats. I have always done formal nights in the past so I have packed my flats for dresses.

The OP asked what shoes we wore. In port - it is athletic shoes.

Edited by Coral

My wife brings 2 pairs of shoes and that is it. Bring a pair for dinner and Nike's during the day. No need for more unless you are doing serious hiking. Very few people who cruise need hiking boots. The rest of your list seems un-necessary.

I did say flats. I am almost 5'11 - I don't need heels. It doesn't take much space to pack flats. I have always done formal nights in the past so I have packed my flats for dresses.

The OP asked what shoes we wore. In port - it is athletic shoes.

Agree...but I thought you said you might "drop the flats"? Heels or flats,

since we do like to dress for dinner, I still could not wear my sneakers with

my dress clothes. ;)

As I said..."to each their own". :)

Also agree with the most "often worn shoes in Alaska" for many are sneakers/tennis shoes/athletic shoes.

Whatever we call them.

Here in Florida I spend every day in a pair of flip flops, and then the sneakers in the winter.

Edited by island lady

And I believe the OP wanted to know what and how many shoes do we really

need to take. Even the DH takes dress shoes, tennis shoes, and flip flops. One day

in Skagway it was very warm, we were happy to have the shorts and flip flops.

I do more than walk around in Skagway - I do excursions and would not wear flip flops on excursions. I have worn shorts in many ports in Alaska.

And yes - next time in Alaska, I will be dropping formal nights.

Edited by Coral

I do more than walk around in Skagway - I do excursions and would not wear flip flops on excursions. I have worn shorts in many ports in Alaska.

And yes - next time in Alaska, I will be dropping formal nights.

Sounds like a plan! Enjoy! ;)

I have hiking shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops, heels, casual sandals and comfy slip ons set aside to be packed. I see so many posts about ppl (ladies) only taking 2-3 pr of shoes, period, I just don't seem to be able to do that!!

You will most likely only need tennis shoes for 90% of the cruise. So figure out a pair for night time and drop the others. At least you didn't mention Uggs. I laugh when people mention those. Sandals and flip flops are really uncessary for Alaska unless you are using flip flops at the spa.

You will most likely only need tennis shoes for 90% of the cruise. So figure out a pair for night time and drop the others. At least you didn't mention Uggs. I laugh when people mention those. Sandals and flip flops are really uncessary for Alaska unless you are using flip flops at the spa.

We spend a lot of time on the balcony, and we have a huge corner aft balcony again

this year. When it is warm, (like it was in Skagway) I would prefer not to go barefoot out

there when we are using the loungers in the sun. We don't use the spa, but were surprised

how much we used our flip flops out on the balcony or just around the ship during the day.

They are light, and pack easy like shorts.

And no...we don't wear them off the ship in Alaska. :rolleyes: :D

Once again..."to each their own". ;)

Edited by island lady

I live in NC and even in the winter when it's raining and 40 out I prefer flip flops! I travel with a pair in my car so they are a given! ;)

No boots or uggs for me! The main excursions we have that I think will need something besides flip flops.... ATV tour in Denali, whale watching, sea plane/glacier tour, dog sled and a short hike we plan to do.

Edited by 4olivers

As I mentioned, I do take flip flops. I wear them around the ship and to the pool, which I do use on Alaskan cruises. I would never wear them off the ship, because I am usually walking a lot, or on excursions where they would not be appropriate. I need something more supportive when I'm doing a lot of walking. Flip flops take up almost no space in my suitcase, so they are worth bringing.

I do also shake my head when people mention bringing Uggs or rubber rain boots. Big, bulky boots really aren't needed, and take up to much space/weight in your bag. I only sometimes take hiking shoes, not boots, because I have a bad back/hips and do better with them on hills and uneven terrain. My husband and kids do fine with sneakers. My teen daughter can walk/hike for miles in Converse or similar sneakers, but my back, hips and feet would kill me if I did.

I think I may shop for a new pair of dressy flats this year, and take only one pair of dress shoes instead of two.

As I mentioned, I do take flip flops. I wear them around the ship and to the pool, which I do use on Alaskan cruises. I would never wear them off the ship, because I am usually walking a lot, or on excursions where they would not be appropriate. I need something more supportive when I'm doing a lot of walking. Flip flops take up almost no space in my suitcase, so they are worth bringing.

I do also shake my head when people mention bringing Uggs or rubber rain boots. Big, bulky boots really aren't needed, and take up to much space/weight in your bag. I only sometimes take hiking shoes, not boots, because I have a bad back/hips and do better with them on hills and uneven terrain. My husband and kids do fine with sneakers. My teen daughter can walk/hike for miles in Converse or similar sneakers, but my back, hips and feet would kill me if I did.

I think I may shop for a new pair of dressy flats this year, and take only one pair of dress shoes instead of two.

I totally agree with your thinking! Good plan! :)

My spouse and I only take 2 pairs. Athletic shoes for day time and dressier shoes for night time. We have done this on 5 Alaskan cruises and it has worked perfectly for us. I really can't believe people take 6 plus pairs of shoes. I guess everyone has different priorities. I would not want to pay luggage fees on bringing that many shoes.

Edited by Starfish55

Shoes are my main problem when it comes to packing...just can't seem to narrow it down.

On our last Alaskan cruise, I debated about taking my low-cut, waterproof hiking shoes and was glad I did. It rained all day when we were in Juneau and with those shoes, my waterproof jacket and a pair of rain pants I was comfortable. A pair of tennis shoes would have been soaked and useless for the next several days while they dried out.

We had another day of continuous rain on our land portion of the trip and without the waterproof shoes I would have been pretty miserable. We are doing a 2 week Alaskan cruise next summer and I will do my best to find room for these shoes in spite of their bulkiness.

The other pair of shoes I ALWAYS pack are my Crocs. Although they are BIG, they are almost weightless. (I use the insides of the shoes to pack smaller items.) I have bad feet and these shoes are what I wear in the cabin, on the balcony, etc. We spent a lot of time on our balcony looking for wildlife, glacier viewing, etc. With a pair of thick hiking socks my feet were comfy and toasty warm!

Just back - I brought low top hiking shoes (we did hike), 2 flats, 1 heels, super lightweight trainers (sketch airs) and flops for the pool/spa. Wore them all repeatedly. Could have gone without heels but what the hell my legs looked good at dinner.

I went with one pair for ship (black go with everything slip on) and one pair for shore (waterproof trail shoe). Although I wore the "shore" shoes around the ship a bit. I didn't go to the pool or hot tub, but if I'd planned for it, a pair of cheapo flip flops would have been added.

We did 12 days of cruise + land with only a carry on bag + backpack per person. Didn't have a choice because we were renting a car and not a minivan or full size SUV and had to be able to fit all the luggage for all five of us in there. It meant washing socks and underwear in the sink and wearing each article of clothes at least 3 times, but we knew we weren't overpacking!

I just returned from Alaska, and I struggle with the shoe thing, too. For this trip I wore sandals on my travel days (DEN to SEA) so I had a pair, just in case. I packed my "good" tennis shoes, casual sneakers, and black flats to wear with skirts. I also took my flip flops for the spa and wearing in the cabin/balcony. I wore every pair on this trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by southerngirloutwest