Boarding Times?

lithlith

Is Oceania strict on boarding times listed in the information that they send out? What's the earliest that you've been able to board the ship?

I suppose this varies city to city. We'll be boarding in Stockholm in a few days.

Is Oceania strict on boarding times listed in the information that they send out? What's the earliest that you've been able to board the ship?

I suppose this varies city to city. We'll be boarding in Stockholm in a few days.

They are more lenient in Europe and Asia, where it is recognized that the majority of passengers are just getting off long haul flights and want nothing more than to put their heads down.

That said, the ships are almost universally "turning around" in a single day, today, so you have to figure that the previous cruise passengers were on until 9AM which makes the Oceania timetables fairly realistic in terms of cabin access.

Nobody ever gets on before 11AM, and those that do will be restricted to the lido restaurant until their cabins are ready for occupancy. As on all ships, the Suites are ready first, with staterooms following.

They are more lenient in Europe and Asia, where it is recognized that the majority of passengers are just getting off long haul flights and want nothing more than to put their heads down.

That said, the ships are almost universally "turning around" in a single day, today, so you have to figure that the previous cruise passengers were on until 9AM which makes the Oceania timetables fairly realistic in terms of cabin access.

Nobody ever gets on before 11AM, and those that do will be restricted to the lido restaurant until their cabins are ready for occupancy. As on all ships, the Suites are ready first, with staterooms following.

WHile many are highly motivated to board as fast as possible, I have decided to board well after 1 to 2 pm to avoid the "frenzy" at the Terrace and have discovered, yo my suprise that durning my cruise I will get ample time to enjoy a few meals... Trying to squeeze in every second is silly to me. Too boarding around 2 I found gives you a relaxing day... no lines to wait in, pretty much just walk on and in most cases have your bags beat you to the room .

By avoiding the rush from 11-1 you have a peaceful relaxing start to a wonderful cruise. I boarded in Miami at 2 pm, had a great relaxing breakfast at the Marquis Marriott, and arrived to find no one in line..check in took 8 min and by 2:15 I swung by my cabin and dropped off lcarryon and put my regular bags in the closet.. ( they beat me on board) Then all relazed I went and did some bird watching in the Waves bar.....Grey Goose and relaxed till sailing .....

Trying to cram in every second has its drawbacks... its not all good. Since then I have made it a point to board much later than earilier.

I agree with Hawaiidan, take your time and enjoy your trip. Now if your in the higher end suites-your suite will be ready when you board the ship. We get on around 11 and go to the suite and relax until we want to go out.

Stockholm is a great city with plenty to do and lots to see. Why would the OP rather board early and not sightsee in Stockholm? :eek:

If you have a very early flight, take a cab to one of the higher end hotels downtown, ask the concierge to check your bags and enjoy your day until 2 or so, then peacefully head out to the ship.

It is not enjoyable, imo, to sit around the ship for 2+ hours, screwing around with all the carry ons waiting for one's cabin to open up. Trust me, it is not a scenic location where Oceania docks in Stockholm, but a commercial port with commercial freight carriers docked alongside.

Have a nice lunch in the City and watch the changing of the guard at the Palace. Enjoy Stockholm, you'll have plenty of time to eat on board during your cruise.

to see people thrusting themselves into what they know is a unpleasant experience of lines, waiting, crowded Terrace, pushing shoving. , tired carrying bags, truing to find a place to relax.. just to be ON the ship....and get that one extra meal...

As Ron and Pint and I have discovered..... savor the place your in... relax and take it slow.... He who boards last finished in first place in the satisfaction derby.

Let me add, that not withstanding anything one might read on Cruise Critic, while O may attempt to accommodate those arriving early, doing so is at their discretion. On our last sail, we learned that O decided to perform a "deep" cleaning of the ship. In doing so, they (a) slightly delayed the boarding of those in upper suites and, (b) didn't allow the lower cabins to board until nearer their printed boarding times. On board personnel told those early arrivers that they could only accommodate a smaller number of passenger while trying to perform the "deep" cleaning.

This, of course, upset many passengers because some, like a couple staying at our hotel, arrived at the dock around 10:30 (with a 1:00 scheduled boarding time) hoping for an early boarding. They sat there for 2 hours and were irate! When I later asked them what time they boarded and they told me 12:30, I said "see you did get on early!" I was not on their A list after that! :rolleyes: :D

We had missed all the excitement, as we had gone into town and had shown up at 2:30ish and boarded, without problem, with our cabins ready upon our boarding.

So, if you opt to show up early, don't necessarily believe that O will automatically allow you to board early. Do so at YOUR risk ! They may have much larger fish to fry! ;)