Formal night attire for teen boy?

moongal

2 hours in a pair of slacks or khakis is not going to hurt. He's 17..what is he planning on wearing to job interviews? Graduation? A nice date? A funeral? He's practically an adult..he needs to follow the rules and slap a pair of slacks on and a button-up or eat elsewhere.

How dare you!!!! You expect my little snowflake, ok, 17 yr old snowflake to do something he doesn't want to do? The world revolves around him, it should be about him and what he wants to do when he wants to do it.... (I have to stop, I just vomited in my mouth :D)

Now I think there are parents who are of the "old school" mindset who can identify with this:

Parent: Change for dinner and not jeans

Child: But I don't wanna wear these ugly dress pants

Parent: Get your arse in those dress pants now, when did you believe this is a Democracy and not MY DICTATORSHIP...we clear? Good....be ready in 10 mins

Edited by First and Ten

what is he planning on wearing to job interviews? Graduation? A nice date? A funeral?

Since this seems to be asked often yet it is answered in the very first post.

He has the one nice suit for special occasions but I REEEALLY don't want to lug all that along just for 1 meal. (And no, we don't want to eat at Lido)

I did see someone turned away from the dining room on elegant night for wearing jeans. It was embarrassing for them. I would buy some inexpensive khakis. They are good to have on hand anyway. It sounds as though he has a shirt that will do. I think the degree of enforcement depends on the ship. It is fun to look nice.

If the diners wish not to comply with that nights dress attire, are there other dining options available? This is what I never understand. Keep the integrity of the formal night for those that enjoy it and those that do not can enjoy a meal elsewhere. If invited to a black tie formal wedding, jeans would be Ina propriety and you would not even ask. But I am a rule follower.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the diners wish not to comply with that nights dress attire, are there other dining options available? This is what I never understand. Keep the integrity of the formal night for those that enjoy it and those that do not can enjoy a meal elsewhere. If invited to a black tie formal wedding, jeans would be Ina propriety and you would not even ask. But I am a rule follower.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What integrity? This is not a black tie event. There is nothing of significance being celebrated, no lifetime achievement or milestone event. It's an optional dress up night with more portrait opportunities. There's no mandatory participation in it. Formal nights are disappearing across the cruise industry. I realize some don't like the trend, but it is what it is. If you enjoy dressing up, I say go for it, but the cruise line doesn't require you to do so to get the food and service you have paid for.

What integrity? This is not a black tie event. There is nothing of significance being celebrated, no lifetime achievement or milestone event. It's an optional dress up night with more portrait opportunities. There's no mandatory participation in it. Formal nights are disappearing across the cruise industry. I realize some don't like the trend, but it is what it is. If you enjoy dressing up, I say go for it, but the cruise line doesn't require you to do so to get the food and service you have paid for.

Agreed .. I have never likened dinner in a cruise ship MDR to a wedding, funeral, job interview etc....in terms of dress.

Never any excuse for sloppiness or dirty clothes , but the world is getting more casual.

Agreed .. I have never likened dinner in a cruise ship MDR to a wedding, funeral, job interview etc....in terms of dress.

Never any excuse for sloppiness or dirty clothes , but the world is getting more casual.

My sentiment exactly and something I believe the cruise lines are becoming more and more aware of. Tradition is great but for many "new" cruisers they aren't, in the least, aware of or controlled by tradition. They are cruising because it can be a relatively inexpensive vacation with family and friends and many of them look at vacations as being relaxed and casual...24/7. They shouldn't have to play "dress-up" for no apparent reason, nor should they be required to bring excess luggage and apparel just to appease the traditionalists aboard.

The "published" online dress code is constantly changing as the cruise lines hear from and view how many passengers want to experience their cruise. I am sure maitre d's (or however the heck you spell it) can no longer keep up with enforcing old traditions when more and more passengers take offense to not being able to eat in the dining room because of their choice of clothing.

Dress up if you want...get your overpriced photos...pretend you are eating dinner on the Titanic but just ignore those who look at elegant night as no more than a name that has no bearing on their enjoyment of the cruise. I'll wager that this "enforced" tradition (because many many passengers have no interest in participating in it voluntarily) will slowly pass into history.

My sentiment exactly and something I believe the cruise lines are becoming more and more aware of. Tradition is great but for many "new" cruisers they aren't, in the least, aware of or controlled by tradition. They are cruising because it can be a relatively inexpensive vacation with family and friends and many of them look at vacations as being relaxed and casual...24/7. They shouldn't have to play "dress-up" for no apparent reason, nor should they be required to bring excess luggage and apparel just to appease the traditionalists aboard.

The "published" online dress code is constantly changing as the cruise lines hear from and view how many passengers want to experience their cruise. I am sure maitre d's (or however the heck you spell it) can no longer keep up with enforcing old traditions when more and more passengers take offense to not being able to eat in the dining room because of their choice of clothing.

Dress up if you want...get your overpriced photos...pretend you are eating dinner on the Titanic but just ignore those who look at elegant night as no more than a name that has no bearing on their enjoyment of the cruise. I'll wager that this "enforced" tradition (because many many passengers have no interest in participating in it voluntarily) will slowly pass into history.

Dutch, I agree with you that the world is becoming less and less formal....That being said, you agree that there is a rule concerning a dress code and there is a "Formal" night. Where I take exception with you is you basically think its ok to ignore something because you/the casual dressers don't want to follow it....That is entitlement....I can understand if the particular line said "if you are not dressed up to par, you cant eat". I agree, that is extreme. They don't do that, they say on 1 or 2 nights, we are going to dress a bit more formally in our MDR (lets be fair, in no realm is Khakis considered "Formal" wear, but the cruise lines have relaxed its definition of "Formal", so even that is a consideration)....If you don't want to even dress up even a little bit, there are other options....and again, its not EVERY night....the majority of the nights, the MDR is casual. We go to your extreme, it could get ugly....Lets totally throw out the dress code....no dress code....I think we can all agree that MOST people, as they are getting close to dinner time, get off their lounge chair, back to the cabin, take a shower and change....fair? No dress code, you know there will be the small % of people that get off the lounge chair with the mindset of "Feeding Time", and roll right into the MDR, still in their wet boarder shorts and sweaty tank top, flip flops....hows that for appetizing? you want to share a table with that? What I raise my eyebrow to is the fact that MOST people seem ok with no basketball shorts or tanktops in the MDR, but flip out about wearing a pair of khaki pants on formal night....ITS KHAKIS, THEY ARENT ASKING YOU TO RENT A TUX!!!! They are asking you to wear Khakis and a collared shirt 1 or 2 nights a week....is that really such a big deal? :eek:

Edited by First and Ten

No dress code, you know there will be the small % of people that get off the lounge chair with the mindset of "Feeding Time", and roll right into the MDR, still in their wet boarder shorts and sweaty tank top, flip flops....hows that for appetizing? you want to share a table with that? What I raise my eyebrow to is the fact that MOST people seem ok with no basketball shorts or tanktops in the MDR, but flip out about wearing a pair of khaki pants on formal night....ITS KHAKIS, THEY ARENT ASKING YOU TO RENT A TUX!!!! They are asking you to wear Khakis and a collared shirt 1 or 2 nights a week....is that really such a big deal? :eek:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you'd like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

See, I can't find "khakis" in the dress code. "My" interpretation of dress slacks would no way include "khaki" nor would the women's list include black stretch pants and bedazzled t-shirts for women...but both are acceptable by many.

I am sure that most people would still wear "presentable" clothing no matter the code. I rarely see people at restaurants wearing swim wear or sweaty sports clothing...most people tend to understand what is presentable clothing. But I have no problem with hawaiian shirts, clean t-shirts, or "walking shirts" and it wouldn't bother me in the least if people wore less as long as their clothing was clean.

The prevalent thought on this board "seems" to be that people "don't" know how to dress unless they are forced. I, for one, give people a greater benefit of the doubt because I have a "trust" in human nature that many on this board seem to lack. And, of course, just as there are very judgmental folk around there will always be the few who will push the limits and will, for whatever reason, push the limits into the absurd but since I except the first I will accept the second.

By the way no one has asked me what I or my family wear to eat dinner. I think you might be totally surprised since we do like to dress up on occasion...but that is by choice not because it is a rule or a code.

See, I can't find "khakis" in the dress code. "My" interpretation of dress slacks would no way include "khaki" nor would the women's list include black stretch pants and bedazzled t-shirts for women...but both are acceptable by many.

I am sure that most people would still wear "presentable" clothing no matter the code. I rarely see people at restaurants wearing swim wear or sweaty sports clothing...most people tend to understand what is presentable clothing. But I have no problem with hawaiian shirts, clean t-shirts, or "walking shirts" and it wouldn't bother me in the least if people wore less as long as their clothing was clean.

The prevalent thought on this board "seems" to be that people "don't" know how to dress unless they are forced. I, for one, give people a greater benefit of the doubt because I have a "trust" in human nature that many on this board seem to lack. And, of course, just as there are very judgmental folk around there will always be the few who will push the limits and will, for whatever reason, push the limits into the absurd but since I except the first I will accept the second.

By the way no one has asked me what I or my family wear to eat dinner. I think you might be totally surprised since we do like to dress up on occasion...but that is by choice not because it is a rule or a code.

I do agree, I think most people do know how to dress appropriately. I said there would be a few chuckleheads....As far as how you dress, I wasn't insinuating you/your family didn't know how to dress....so now you are going to split hairs and say "I cant find where it says khakis anywhere...."....You know what, I cant find anywhere in cruise documentation where it says I cant stand on my balcony railing, drop my shorts and pee off the side of the boat....because I cant find that specifically, should I assume its allowed? :rolleyes:....we seriously going to split hairs that much and debate it?

Lets talk about what it does say about formal night on the Carnival website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

So simply stated, on those nights deemed "Formal/Elegant" night, don't wear jeans and shorts into the MDR....forget I said "khakis", lets use what Carnival advises...."dress pants"....dress pants that are not jeans....I guess I don't understand what the obsession is with the enjoyment that people have to go out of the way to look for a loophole. You have options, if you are that set in your ways that you have to wear jeans and/or shorts EVERY night....YOU CAN!!!!, just eat on the Lido deck for dinner. I think it goes back to a mindset that some, not everyone has....the "I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it....I don't care if there is a rule, if I don't want to follow that rule I shouldn't have to....its all about ME and what I want"

Edited by First and Ten

First and Ten...

I asked before...what are "jeans". Jeans, by definition are work clothes made of heavy cotton fabric. Jeans do not mean denim slacks (a big difference if you know anything about fashion). And what is a t-shirt? Women wear stretch cotton shirts with everything and they are defined as t-shirts..since they look like a "t". And in places like Arizona...even the finest restaurants accept gentlemen dressed in linen walking shorts, jesus sandals, and non-tucked silk shirts (outfits which can cost several hundred dollars).

Whenever we take things too literally we can find the absurdity in the descriptions..."common" nomenclature like t-shirts has no value when thousands of items of clothing are actually "T" shirts.

Again, common sense is our greatest asset....though I have come to believe it is doled out by the universe in smaller and smaller quantities.

I am sure maitre d's (or however the heck you spell it) can no longer keep up with enforcing old traditions when more and more passengers take offense to not being able to eat in the dining room because of their choice of clothing.

I'll wager that this "enforced" tradition (because many many passengers have no interest in participating in it voluntarily) will slowly pass into history.

I'm sure some Maitre d's are tired of fighting the fight. Carnival is about as "common" of a cruise line as you can get. It's how they market.

As has already been posted, it's already changed on some ship(s). You can wear jeans. No one on the ship is going to go searching for a dress code on Carnival.com when it's right in front of them printed in Red, Blue, Black & White. That simply won't happen and jeans will (and have) be worn.

That's the reality, like it or not.

First and Ten...

I asked before...what are "jeans". Jeans, by definition are work clothes made of heavy cotton fabric. Jeans do not mean denim slacks (a big difference if you know anything about fashion). And what is a t-shirt? Women wear stretch cotton shirts with everything and they are defined as t-shirts..since they look like a "t". And in places like Arizona...even the finest restaurants accept gentlemen dressed in linen walking shorts, jesus sandals, and non-tucked silk shirts (outfits which can cost several hundred dollars).

Whenever we take things too literally we can find the absurdity in the descriptions..."common" nomenclature like t-shirts has no value when thousands of items of clothing are actually "T" shirts.

Again, common sense is our greatest asset....though I have come to believe it is doled out by the universe in smaller and smaller quantities.

Ok, I will bite and play along with the granular hair splitting debate....humor me if you will for a second

Would you agree, that the vast majority of the male, adult cruisers own a pair of pants, that are not jeans or made out of denium? If so, pack those for formal night. If not, go buy a pair, they cost about $20

Would you also agree that the vast majority of the female, adult cruisers own a black dress, cocktail dress, slacks not considered jeans or denium and some sort of blouse that wouldn't normally be considered a t shirt? Yes? Good, pack that outfit for Elegant night

Does little Johnny/Suzie have an outfit that they wear for Easter/Sunday best/Christmas pictures? Yes? Good, pack that for them for Formal night

Now, here is the great part, because I know this argument is coming...."well I don't want to have to pack that much nor should I have to"....GREAT, YOU ARE RIGHT!!!! Don't pack the extra stuff if you don't want to. Just go to the Lido deck on Elegant nights....problem solved!!!!

Now, I know I am leaving multiple loopholes in my description above, because my lack of knowledge concerning fashion is vast....so have at it and pick away. Or else we can just agree to common sense by saying on Formal nights, if you want to go to the MDR, dress up a little bit, not in jeans, t shirts or shorts....Something tells me you aren't going to let me off the hook that easy tho ;)

Edited by First and Ten

Ok, I will bite and play along with the granular hair splitting debate....humor me if you will for a second

Would you agree, that the vast majority of the male, adult cruisers own a pair of pants, that are not jeans or made out of denium? If so, pack those for formal night. If not, go buy a pair, they cost about $20

Would you also agree that the vast majority of the female, adult cruisers own a black dress, cocktail dress, slacks not considered jeans or denium and some sort of blouse that wouldn't normally be considered a t shirt? Yes? Good, pack that outfit for Elegant night

Does little Johnny/Suzie have an outfit that they wear for Easter/Sunday best/Christmas pictures? Yes? Good, pack that for them for Formal night

Now, here is the great part, because I know this argument is coming...."well I don't want to have to pack that much nor should I have to"....GREAT, YOU ARE RIGHT!!!! Don't pack the extra stuff if you don't want to. Just go to the Lido deck on Elegant nights....problem solved!!!!

Now, I know I am leaving multiple loopholes in my description above, because my lack of knowledge concerning fashion is vast....so have at it and pick away. Or else we can just agree to common sense by saying on Formal nights, if you want to go to the MDR, dress up a little bit, not in jeans, t shirts or shorts....Something tells me you aren't going to let me off the hook that easy tho ;)

Pretty Spot-on !

👍

I agree ..Times are a changing

I have a teenage son and we're frequent cruisers. He always wears khakis or dress pants on elegant nights with a polo or button up shirt. That seems to be the norm of what teen boys wear on elegant nights. There are plenty of "cool" shirts and khakis out there. He'd probably prefer not to also but knows that's how you are supposed to dress.

I agree baby's mom.

At his age it probably would be appropriate that the OP's son has one pair of slacks - khaki or maybe black - in his closet for occasions that may come up like the cruise. Actually they're lighter weight and no more uncomfortable that jeans. I'm in the school of thought that at some point while they're still at home "kids" need to learn that appropriate dressing isn't always about what one "wants".

On "formal nights" my DH wears khakis, a button collar shirt and loafers - he's about in the middle of the dressing - some are more and some are less dressed up.

Then if there is no requirement as you want to believe, why does Carnival make the distinction between "Casual" and "Elegant" nights? With different sets of standards for the particular nights? :confused:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Edited by First and Ten

Perfectly stated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A BRAND NEW pair of dark black (old fashioned, not holey/designer) jeans will not be noticed..by anyone, fashion police included. Particularly if worn with a very nice shirt...and decent shoes. (Not tennis/flops.)

The object is to look NICE.

A person can obey 'the code' to the letter and still look like slobby yesterdays' trash.