Scooter on Escape

SandyMc

I had made a reservation for a regular balcony cabin on the Escape prior to deciding that I should definitely take my Lexis Light scooter on this cruise. Everything I read on Norwegian board indicates that the scooter will fit through the cabin doors, however, I would love to know if anyone has actually traveled with a scooter in their balcony cabins. Thanks!

SandyMc ... just curious, how do you like your Lexus light scooter. Just started taking a look around at transportable scooters and so far I like the 2016 Mobie Plus Scooter or the 2016 Transformer Automatic Folding Scooter ...

This information may be helpful:

Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are allowed in our accessible staterooms provided that they are powered by gel-cell batteries and the chargers must be adaptable to 110 volts. Should you choose a stateroom that has not been designated as accessible, you will need to bring a collapsible wheelchair, or if you have a motorized wheelchair or scooter, the width must not exceed 26 inches to enter the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Beach wheelchairs can be rented for use on Norwegian Cruise Line's private island.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Thanks everyone for your input! I hate to change to an accessible cabin since walking long distances is my only real handicap and I know there are people who need those rooms more. Based in Norwegians statement that the scooter should be able to get through a 26" door, I'm sure all will be well. Besides, it easily breaks down if necessary.

FM - I love this scooter! I searched high and low for one that I could just put in my trunk myself and this is it. I've only had it for a few months now but can find nothing to complain about!

We were booked on the Escape but there were not accessible cabins available. They told me I could leave it in the hallway at night since there really wouldn't be room for it in the cabin. Then I read on paperwork I received for a cruise we have booked on the Dawn that scooters are not allowed to be left in the hallways. So we just cancelled and now I am trying to book on the Carnival Dream.

Yeah there is no room to leave them in the hall ways. Someone tried that on our getaway cruise and they were made to squeeze it in their cabin. The halls are barely enough for people and if there is a housekeeping cart in hall good luck getting by it.

It's not even about the room if there was some extra - any objects in emergency escape routes (read: basically all hallways and stairwells) are a huuuge security hazard.

For example if the ship tilts and the object left in the hallway moves, people might get under or pinned by it, having to climb over it, etc, etc.

That is why it is strictly forbidden by the international maritime law.

Edited by Demonyte

I have used a scooter in a balcony cabin on the older ships and have had no issue. All you need to do is find out the width of the door. The standard scooter from special needs at sea is 21". There was no problem getting it in the door nor keeping it in the cabin. We just needed to find a place where it would be the least intrusive. You will need to see of the size of the Escape cabins are much smaller than the Pearl, Jewel, Sun, or Dawn. Good luck.

. . .

That is why it is strictly forbidden by the international maritime law.

I want someone to explain the difference in forbidden and strictly forbidden. Is there some level of forbidness that I am unaware of or is this just politically correct speak so that people think there are degrees of not being allowed to do something?

I want someone to explain the difference in forbidden and strictly forbidden. Is there some level of forbidness that I am unaware of or is this just politically correct speak so that people think there are degrees of not being allowed to do something?

Ha! I love this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe that if you are in a Handicap Accessible cabin the entry door is 32 inches

or more wide and the cabin location is generally in an area more open

for ease of that entry/exit to passageways and elevators.

And YES scooters and wheel chair devices CAN NOT be stored in passageways.

There may be some crew service areas that a cabin attendant can store the HC

device freeing up some room in the cabin - inquire within to the cabin attendant.