RT Hawaii Cruise. Which Ship?

Flopthis25

Hello.

I am wanting to give my parents a cruise to Hawaii for their 50th Wedding Anniversary. It has always been a dream of my moms. <3

They have been on several cruises, but never on Princess Cruise Lines.

I've found the Star and the Grand that port out of LA and San Fran.

The Star has some not so good reviews. Grand appears to be "newer" of the two.

Does anyone have any advice?

I've read some reviews and other posts....Honestly I am hesitant to book with Princess. NCL and RCCL do not have the RT itinerary like Princess- out of LA or San Fran.

Thanks!

Jamie

Grand 1998

Star 2002.

The Grand had Skywalkers removed a couple of years ago.

Have sailed both of them a few times.

I would pick the Star, mainly for Skywalkers.

Grand 1998

Star 2002.

The Grand had Skywalkers removed a couple of years ago.

Have sailed both of them a few times.

I would pick the Star, mainly for Skywalkers.

What is a Skywalker?

(please don't say Luke)

I just put a room on hold. EEEK! Excitement.

They really like bigger balconies. So, that's what they get!

Now to wait 3 months to give them the surprise!!!

I will look into some excursions....I know They want to see Pearl Harbor.

The larger Caribe deck balconies are our favorite ones & they should enjoy it.

One suggestion for a great 50th anniversary experience on their balcony...the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It costs $100 per couple and provides nearly $100 in extras...a photo, cocktails, flowers (have varied between a couple of roses & a nice floral bouquet) and a half bottle of champagne (we've been able to exchange it for a full bottle of wine valued at $32). Having been to Honolulu (11PM sailaway) several times, we had the UBD on our Caribe deck balcony during sunset in Honolulu...it was a great experience for us! Tuxedoed waiters magically appear to deliver each course & disappear until we're ready for the next course...great service & meal. :D

Choose a luxurious breakfast or experience the "ultimate" romantic dinner at sea: a sumptuous four-course meal, including succulent lobster tail and juicy steak, your beverage of choice, hors d’oeuvres, all served right on your balcony served by our dedicated waitstaff.

This item may be ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (Breakfast Item #3009, Dinner Item #3011).

Myself & many others exchange information on the Hawaii ports forum which has a wealth of useful information for planning a Hawaiian cruise. If they want to go to Pearl Harbor independently, they could prereserve a tender time through the Arizona Memorial's National Park website. It costs only a couple of dollars but they limit the sales to have tickets for walkup visitors. They could take a cab to Pearl Harbor & do like us and travel like a local by paying a couple of dollars to ride The Bus back to the ship or elsewhere. My first view of Hawaii was from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier circling Ford Island in Pearl Harbor at sunrise...something I will never forget!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Edited by Astro Flyer

What is a Skywalker?

(please don't say Luke)

Its a bar and observation lounge, the large structure that's over the aft pool.

Sometimes called a shopping cart handle. We would spend a good amount of time there both day and evening. They have a bar at night and a DJ/dancing. Great views!

The larger Caribe deck balconies are our favorite ones & they should enjoy it.

One suggestion for a great 50th anniversary experience on their balcony...the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It costs $100 per couple and provides nearly $100 in extras...a photo, cocktails, flowers (have varied between a couple of roses & a nice floral bouquet) and a half bottle of champagne (we've been able to exchange it for a full bottle of wine valued at $32). Having been to Honolulu (11PM sailaway) several times, we had the UBD on our Caribe deck balcony during sunset in Honolulu...it was a great experience for us! Tuxedoed waiters magically appear to deliver each course & disappear until we're ready for the next course...great service & meal. :D

Choose a luxurious breakfast or experience the "ultimate" romantic dinner at sea: a sumptuous four-course meal, including succulent lobster tail and juicy steak, your beverage of choice, hors d’oeuvres, all served right on your balcony served by our dedicated waitstaff.

This item may be ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (Breakfast Item #3009, Dinner Item #3011).

Myself & many others exchange information on the Hawaii ports forum which has a wealth of useful information for planning a Hawaiian cruise. If they want to go to Pearl Harbor independently, they could prereserve a tender time through the Arizona Memorial's National Park website. It costs only a couple of dollars but they limit the sales to have tickets for walkup visitors. They could take a cab to Pearl Harbor & do like us and travel like a local by paying a couple of dollars to ride The Bus back to the ship or elsewhere. My first view of Hawaii was from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier circling Ford Island in Pearl Harbor at sunrise...something I will never forget.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Great information! Thank You!!!

Sometimes called a shopping cart handle. We would spend a good amount of time there both day and evening. They have a bar at night and a DJ/dancing. Great views!

That makes more sense!!!

Thanks!

And during the daytime it's usually a quiet spot to get away from the crowds. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Pre-cruise San Francisco's (never called San Fran) tourist area is more compact than LA's.

Sailed the Grand on a longer to Mexico but never sailed the Star. The Grand's closet space in the balcony and lower cabins are half the size of the rest of the fleet. I'd sail the Star just for this reason.

FWIW we sailed Carnival out of Long Beach to Hawaii. The passenger mix was practically the same as our two week Princess cruises, skewing older. These HI cruises are early to bed, early to rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would choose starboard.

The views from starboard, when arriving in Honolulu and also the Big island, are fabulous! I cherish these experiences.

I have sailed to Hawaii on the Grand, Star, Sapphire, and Ruby. All were great, just great!

I agree with the thought that Skywalker's is nice on the Star. I also like departing from LA.

Either the Grand or the Star would be fine, so consider whether you prefer LA or San Francisco for coming and going.

Aloha to your very lucky parents:) :) :)

I'm guessing that you booked the Star Princess out of LA (San Pedro) for your parents. We have sailed both from LA and San Francisco and have sailed both ships. You really can't go wrong with either.

We have sailed roundtrip to Hawaii 4 times and are doing it again in January from San Francisco.

January is a great time for Hawaii. The whales are wintering off of Maui.

Pearl Harbor is a must. Schedule early because the crowds increase the later in the day.

In Hilo, the Moana Loa and the Volcanoes National Park are a good bet.

Each port is very walkable with nice beaches close by. We like to do the walking tours and if your parents are so inclined there are walking tour maps at the tourist information booths at each port.

I'm guessing that you booked the Star Princess out of LA (San Pedro) for your parents. We have sailed both from LA and San Francisco and have sailed both ships. You really can't go wrong with either.

We have sailed roundtrip to Hawaii 4 times and are doing it again in January from San Francisco.

January is a great time for Hawaii. The whales are wintering off of Maui.

Pearl Harbor is a must. Schedule early because the crowds increase the later in the day.

In Hilo, the Moana Loa and the Volcanoes National Park are a good bet.

Each port is very walkable with nice beaches close by. We like to do the walking tours and if your parents are so inclined there are walking tour maps at the tourist information booths at each port.

It sounds like you know my parents! They are usually awake by 4 or 5. (my dad wakes up at 3AM to go to work)

I put a room on hold on the Star....I was waiting to see if I chose correctly...I did go starboard! C509. Mid-Aft Premium Balcony.

Time to complete the booking!

And to figure out how to ask for my dad's DD214 without him asking too many questions. :D

I would choose starboard.

The views from starboard' date=' when arriving in Honolulu and also the Big island, are fabulous! I cherish these experiences.

I have sailed to Hawaii on the Grand, Star, Sapphire, and Ruby. All were great, just great!

I agree with the thought that Skywalker's is nice on the Star. I also like departing from LA.

Either the Grand or the Star would be fine, so consider whether you prefer LA or San Francisco for coming and going.

Aloha to your very lucky parents:) :) :)[/quote']

Thank you!!! I did chose Starboard!!

And I'm the lucky one! They are fabulous parents!

Since the Grand no longer has skywalkers I would go on the Star. I love to sit up in Skywalkers on sea days when it is not real warm outside and enjoy the view.. I did a round trip to Hawaii a few years ago on the Star and it was just fine.

I can see my parents sitting up there enjoying the views and sipping on coffee and hot tea. My mom has RA and gets cold SO easily. When we do surprise the, with the news, I will make sure we tell her about this amazing spot! :):):)

Hello.

I am wanting to give my parents a cruise to Hawaii for their 50th Wedding Anniversary. It has always been a dream of my moms. <3

They have been on several cruises, but never on Princess Cruise Lines.

I've found the Star and the Grand that port out of LA and San Fran.

The Star has some not so good reviews. Grand appears to be "newer" of the two.

Does anyone have any advice?

I've read some reviews and other posts....Honestly I am hesitant to book with Princess. NCL and RCCL do not have the RT itinerary like Princess- out of LA or San Fran.

Thanks!

Jamie

We did the Hawaii RT LA this April on the Ruby Princess. Excellent is the only way I will describe it. It was our first time on Princess. We have done 36 cruises with Royal and NCL combined. Princess by far outdoes them both, in my opinion. Far better and caring service, food, clientele, excellent ship. GO FOR IT!

We are going ahead and booking flight through Princess.

We are wanting to fly them in a day before. Any hotel recommendations? Or does Princess have an option for a stay ahead?

Sorry for all the questions. The California Port thread is dead.

Edited by Flopthis25

We are going ahead and booking flight through Princess.

We are wanting to fly them in a day before. Any hotel recommendations? Or does Princess have an option for a stay ahead?

Sorry for all the questions. The California Port thread is dead.

The West Coast forum has these recent threads & other information:

Hotel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369022

Transportation: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376126

Princess might have a precruise hotel package but it's less expensive to book a hotel & transportation which are discussed in these threads and think that arriving a day in advance is a wise decision. Flight delays can happen & if missing the ship the next stop is in Hilo and they'd miss many relaxing days on the ship.

The Doubletree Cabrillo Beach is located on a small boat marina in a quiet area less than 3 miles from the ship. Being in a more isolated area than the Crowne Plaza, there are no restaurants nearby. I drove there but have read that the hotel will shuttle people to restaurants or stores within a reasonable distance. The 22nd Street Landing Seafood Grill & Bar is on another marina about a mile away & we have always enjoyed our dining experience there.

The Crowne Plaza is about a mile from the ship in the small old downtown area of San Pedro & is within walking distance of restaurants. There are also a few restaurants on the harbor not far away near the recently closed Ports of Call Village.

There's a Best Western on Gaffey St which is the primary street in San Pedro with many stores & restaurants. However with more traffic there is more noise & I wouldn't feel completely comfortable walking around that area.

I know that Doubletree & CP have a shuttle to the LA World Cruise Center which is only minutes away from them.

Long Beach is about 6 miles from the ship and has the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific. I think that section of Long Beach has more things to do & more restaurants and is not too far away from the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If your parents are not touring the battleship USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor, the USS Iowa is berthed adjacent to the cruise terminals. As I recall, both are the same class of ship but the Iowa is the only Navy ship with a bathtub: "USS Iowa had a bathtub installed for use by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during his transit for the Tehran Conference with Churchill and Stalin". (http://www.pacificbattleship.com/battleship_of_presidents)

http://www.pacificbattleship.com

I think they'll be very happy with their starboard Caribe deck balcony & here's a link to the port's live webcam:

http://www.lawaterfront.org/multimedia.php

The view is looking north with the USS Iowa on the left & the cruise ship terminal is behind it at the left end of the Vincent Thomas bridge. Checking the port's schedule they'll board the Star at Berth 93 which is where the Love Boat sailed. Being in a starboard balcony cabin the USS Iowa and San Pedro will be visible to them.

Time to complete the booking!

And to figure out how to ask for my dad's DD214 without him asking too many questions. :D

You don't need to submit the form for the military benefit now. It can be as late as 2 weeks before sailing. So you can wait until you have told you parents about this wonderful surprise!

Maybe you could ask him to give you a copy of his DD214 so you'll have copies of his legal documents?

I wouldn't feel comfortable waiting until 2 weeks before the cruise but that's another option. The form states "Requests will be handled within 7 days" and I wouldn't want to wait until a week before a cruise to know if it was issued.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yikes! We are doing the Hawaii cruise out of LA in February, and we have a balcony cabin on Caribe deck (port side). I have read that sometimes captains swing the ships around - I think we'll be pleased regardless of what view we end up with - and hey - we can always go up to a higher deck to look around!

Thank you to all who have offered opinions.

Yikes! We are doing the Hawaii cruise out of LA in February, and we have a balcony cabin on Caribe deck (port side). I have read that sometimes captains swing the ships around - I think we'll be pleased regardless of what view we end up with - and hey - we can always go up to a higher deck to look around!

Thank you to all who have offered opinions.

With very little daytime sailing within Hawaii, only one time when windy conditions prevented docking in Kauai did we have much scenic cruising on Princess in Hawaii. The captain decided to remain on the southern leeward side of the island & slowly transit back & forth for the smoothest sea conditions & viewing a couple of whales.

We have never had the captain rotate the ship 360° like for viewing glaciers but as you said you can go on the open decks to view what's on both sides of the ship. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

My DH and I are 60 years young. We took our first long cruise on the Golden Princess out of LA for a 14 day cruise. Absolutely loved it. Why? Because we could do what we wanted, when we wanted or do nothing at all. I did a review that you can read.

Well because my husbands work got him a little irritated this year, we are doing it again on the Crown that leaves in October. Our first cruise round trip from LA was in April. We wanted to try a different time of the year this time.:D

Hey, I'm benefiting out of the hubby getting ticked off..so be it :D:D

Your parents are going to love it! Especially now they will be retired. :)

We're doing the Hawaii cruise in November and do "park and sail". We booked the Crowne. It was $195 including taxes. That includes the night's stay, breakfast, parking for 15 days, and free shuttle to ship, and back to your car upon return. We have stayed at San Pedro numerous times and like Doubletree a bit better but this time the price at Crowne was much better.

Edited by Cruise2End
Mis type