Is there a shuttle into town at Kodiak AK?

baxley

We have been to Kodiak 3 times and there has always been a shuttle where the ship is docked. It departs from a well located visitor center for the ride back. Everything one would like to see is in the general area of the shuttle bus stop. The natural history museum is free, and has very nice restrooms. The other museums charge to go in, but you will have more time to explore if you are on your own rather than a tour. The whole downtown area is walkable (though some uphill) with local shops and markets.

It is a fascinating walk back to the ship, along the harbor and canneries. Twice I have done the Kodiak Walking Tour, which is a great introduction to the area.

Enjoy your time there!

Karen

We'll be on the Maasdam and want to rent a car in town, but I read that the dock is 1 1/2 miles from town. Is there a shuttle into town? Thanks.

Last time I was in Kodiak, AK, while on AMDM, we berthed/docked at Pier #2 which is known as the Fisherman's Terminal. Like Karen said, the Kodiak Port Authority provides a complimentary local shuttle to downtown. We, a little group I was in, visited the local Walmart. Yes, Kodiak, AK has a Walmart ;)

We were in Kodiak in 2015. The taxis arrived first, probably about an hour before we saw the shuttle bus. By then, we had decided to walk to town. It was about a mile, flat, paved, easy walk if one has no mobility issues.

As Loreto mentioned, the walk is fascinating.

Are you renting from Budget? I was there a few years ago. With the limited roads in much of Alaska car rental agencies are a bit more flexible than in most places. I was in Kodiak a few years ago on the ferry system. I had about a 48 hour layover between ferries and rented a car.

I'm pretty sure the cruise ships dock at the same place as the Kennicott, my second ferry. It's less than a mile from Budget and a pleasant walk if you can walk a mile. I was boarding the Kennicott in the late afternoon. They told me to leave the car at the terminal with the keys in the visor. They really aren't worried about theft, there's nowhere to take the car.

I wouldn't count on it, but you may get lucky and only need a ride one way. Taxis are also plentiful.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
taxi

We were there in June we rented from Avis at the airport. As long as there's no plane in they will pick you up at the ship. I know they have a down town office you should check with them they may offer a pick up service also.