Mustering Up the Courage...

TracieABD

Tracie, I did not reply to this post until it was a done deal because I am not as tactful as most here have been. OF COURSE you have to make the trip. The money is not important, providing one has the necessities of life in place. Life is about making memories, and enjoying the memories one has made in the past. As for being alone...you've already proven you can travel alone and not feel lonely.

I get my wanderlust from my dad. He's been gone six years now (and even longer, really, with the long goodbye of Alzheimer's). He ran out of time before he made any really big trips but he took us all over the eastern US as kids, camping all the way. There isn't a single day of any trip when I don't encounter something or someone that brings back amazing memories of him. I actually feel closer to him the further I am from mundane day to day of home.

I wish the same for you.

well now you have me thinking... i have to wait as i have no fcc's left! i don't know how i let that happen!

freshair8, i'm so sorry for your loss and if we find ourselves on the same ship, i too will supply a hug and kleenex and tea.

Well??? Come on... Get your FCCs together and book!

Congrats on the booking!! :)

Thank you, Keith-

I actually checked a couple other cruiselines (if you get my drift), and did not find anything close to what Princess offered. So I am back on another wonderful Princess ship!!!

Not that it's the same thing, but 8 years ago I was studying abroad in New Zealand and for our semester break I booked a hop on, hop off backpacker bus around the South Island. A friend was supposed to go with me and literally cancelled the night before we were to leave - she checked her bank account and only had $67. I was so nervous to travel alone for over two weeks but honestly, it was one of the best trips I've ever taken. I'm not super introverted but I do have anxiety about meeting other people and not having anyone to talk to. Luckily I kept encountering interesting people off and on throughout the two weeks. One night in Canterbury, NZ I wandered the streets with a guy I met at my hostel - he had lost his friend (a minor who was studying abroad from Germany and living with this guy's family) and we basically played where's Waldo. We went up to strangers and found people in various spots around the city who had seen him, and sometime around 4 am we finally found him jamming with some guy on some hand drums outside of a bar.

Not that this would be your exact experience :-) but I really look back at how traveling alone put me out of my comfort zone and I felt so happy being in the moment, enjoying experiences as they come. On my past cruises, I've forced myself to do traditional dining and have made friends with at least one couple at each table, giving me someone to meet up with for trivia and even some excursions. My current roll call is still a little dead right now, but we have a meet and greet planned as well as excursions - maybe you could be the one to reinvigorate it?

Honestly, my #1 bucket list adventure is to go to the South Pacific and Southeast Asia.

I also went to Turkey last spring and while I had two companions, I broke away from the group one night in Istanbul and made my way back to out hotel alone. I felt really immersed in the city, was able to focus solely on how it felt for me in that moment as opposed to being concerned about my companions and their own hesitations traveling in Turkey. Most of the time even if I'm traveling with a group I like to take at least an hour in each city to walk by myself, do my own thing. Those moments are some of my most cherished ones.

Everyone else has given fantastic advice, but I just wanted to add my voice to the mix. I'm not currently cruising solo but I wouldn't hesitate to travel solo again if my husband wasn't able to go. Land or sea - I think some of my best memories were when I was off on my own in foreign lands, being present fully in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a wonderful story- and terrific incentive to press forward. I really appreciate the time that you took to respond!

Congratulations on "going for it". I know we talked about this on our cruise earlier this year. I wish we had the time to join you....your "cousin" will be with you in spirit!

Thanks, cuz---

It is pretty much a done deal. Now, I am just planning and hemorrhaging cash- but what the heck... It's money. I am with all those who said the memories mean more.

By the way- I really appreciate how you and Brenda helped me get through my first cruising solo experience.

Hugs to your girl for me!:)

TL

Have a wonderful time!! You will not regret your decision!

I'll be on the Diamond on Feb 3 for 16 days. Solo like you.

Hope you post your trip report, always a joy to read.

I definately plan to do a "live from"... For so many reasons! I will probably put it up around the 10th or 11th of January. I fly to NJ on the 12th- then leave for Singapore on the 13th. Land on the 15th. And cruise on the 17th.

I have not seen a lot of action from those who have sailed on the Diamond, so I will probably include a detail or two about the ship-- especially that spa they have! :)

Tracie, I did not reply to this post until it was a done deal because I am not as tactful as most here have been. OF COURSE you have to make the trip. The money is not important, providing one has the necessities of life in place. Life is about making memories, and enjoying the memories one has made in the past. As for being alone...you've already proven you can travel alone and not feel lonely.

I get my wanderlust from my dad. He's been gone six years now (and even longer, really, with the long goodbye of Alzheimer's). He ran out of time before he made any really big trips but he took us all over the eastern US as kids, camping all the way. There isn't a single day of any trip when I don't encounter something or someone that brings back amazing memories of him. I actually feel closer to him the further I am from mundane day to day of home.

I wish the same for you.

Thanks, J- I am still anxiously awaiting a report on your next adventure(s)... Your blogs always help me bridge the long waits til I get to write mine! Now if I could just learn to imbed pictures. Oh. Heck. Who am I fooling??? If I could remember to take pictures!!!

Well??? Come on... Get your FCCs together and book!

i cruise aug 30 and can get more then!

i'm glad you decided to go. i'm contemplating a few cruises. its the airfare that's deterring me!

as i'm reading this, i am heartened by the encouragement from everyone who has posted. this is the best part of the cruise critic community. plus i think it says a lot about you tracie, that your posts are always respectful and kind and that is what you are getting back.

annemarie

i cruise aug 30 and can get more then!

i'm glad you decided to go. i'm contemplating a few cruises. its the airfare that's deterring me!

as i'm reading this, i am heartened by the encouragement from everyone who has posted. this is the best part of the cruise critic community. plus i think it says a lot about you tracie, that your posts are always respectful and kind and that is what you are getting back.

annemarie

Thank you, Annemarie-

I really appreciate this. I do hope you consider this cruise! It would be fun!

Hi Fun Friends-

I have a super fun update!!!

I got a cabin assignment already. That has never happened before so quickly!

I love my "little cabin on the ship" (sing to the tune of Cabin in the Woods). It is on the Aloha Deck.

I have cabins above and below.

There are no scary white spaces.

It does not connect to another cabin.

The only drawback I can see is that it sleeps three or four. I am not sure if the bunk drops out from the ceiling or down from the wall.

I am on the Diamond- and if anyone knows the placement of the 3rd and 4th berth, I would be very grateful.

In reality- there is a good chance I could get moved- as I am solo in a cabin that sleeps three or four- which can be highly sought after.

Overall- I am thrilled!

Hi Fun Friends-

I have a super fun update!!!

I got a cabin assignment already. That has never happened before so quickly!

I love my "little cabin on the ship" (sing to the tune of Cabin in the Woods). It is on the Aloha Deck.

I have cabins above and below.

There are no scary white spaces.

It does not connect to another cabin.

The only drawback I can see is that it sleeps three or four. I am not sure if the bunk drops out from the ceiling or down from the wall.

I am on the Diamond- and if anyone knows the placement of the 3rd and 4th berth, I would be very grateful.

In reality- there is a good chance I could get moved- as I am solo in a cabin that sleeps three or four- which can be highly sought after.

Overall- I am thrilled!

Balcony or inside?

The third berth comes down from the wall. It's a head bumper. But no worries being a singleton...just get in the bed on the other side (or have it made up as twins to give you lots of floor space).

Of course, you can now call Princess (or your TA) and be moved to an inside just for two in the same category.

The third berth comes down from the wall. It's a head bumper. But no worries being a singleton...just get in the bed on the other side (or have it made up as twins to give you lots of floor space).

Of course, you can now call Princess (or your TA) and be moved to an inside just for two in the same category.

I am seriously considering doing that.

Also, just a weirdo random question. Would it be possible to have one of the beds removed and have one of the small chairs brought in? Has anyone ever done that before?

... And yet another update!

I have been moved (by my fabulous TA) to a room for two.

Whew! I have avoided the curse of the headbanger. Now, if I can learn to negotiate that shower!

Repeat after me..."I love the shower curtain...I love the shower curtain...I love the shower curtain."

You can do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Repeat after me..."I love the shower curtain...I love the shower curtain...I love the shower curtain."

You can do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ummm... Nat.... NO!

That shower curtain on the Emerald tried repeatedly to have its way with me. Shameful, shameful Shower Curtain!