Mustering Up the Courage...

TracieABD

Hello Tracy.... I do not know you personally, but feel like I "know" you through your beautiful blogs that you write. I love to read them, and feel like I am right there with you.

I will be travelling alone now, as I lost my husband just about 2 weeks ago now, and I am not even 50 yet.....

I say... go on your trip, do what you want because our path is unknown, and you should enjoy and accomplish what you can now, while you still can .....

I hope one day to be so lucky to be on a Princess ship with you.... and give you a hug!! :):)

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Know that you are in my thoughts. And, yes, should we find ourselves on the same big boat- hugs, coffee, and Kleenex are on me. (((Hugs, friend)))

TL

Tracie - Go for it. I did many cruises as a solo, some with friends and now with my partner.

However, on all the cruises I've taken as a solo I have meet some wonderful people around the world.

Asian cruises threads might get a bit more active say about 6 months from sailing. Singapore is a wonderful city, easy to get around and the Diamond Princess is my favourite ship. You will have a ball.

I love this post. And yes, You should totally look into it. It is the Diamond- January 17, 17 and it goes from Singapore to Bali to Kuala Lumpur to Paneng to Phuket, and back to Singapore.

well now you have me thinking... i have to wait as i have no fcc's left! i don't know how i let that happen!

freshair8, i'm so sorry for your loss and if we find ourselves on the same ship, i too will supply a hug and kleenex and tea.

Ahem...

Check out my signature line. ;)

Booked and paid for my flights. That hurt. Ouch!:eek:

Chatted with my TA- and gave up an FCC for the cruise.:)

Booked a hotel.

Started a spreadsheet (oh, those spreadsheets!:rolleyes:)

I guess that means I might be going on a cruise!

Thank you for loaning me a bit of courage. It was exactly what I needed to get me over the hump!

Tracie-Lynn:)

Congrats on the booking!! :)

Not that it's the same thing, but 8 years ago I was studying abroad in New Zealand and for our semester break I booked a hop on, hop off backpacker bus around the South Island. A friend was supposed to go with me and literally cancelled the night before we were to leave - she checked her bank account and only had $67. I was so nervous to travel alone for over two weeks but honestly, it was one of the best trips I've ever taken. I'm not super introverted but I do have anxiety about meeting other people and not having anyone to talk to. Luckily I kept encountering interesting people off and on throughout the two weeks. One night in Canterbury, NZ I wandered the streets with a guy I met at my hostel - he had lost his friend (a minor who was studying abroad from Germany and living with this guy's family) and we basically played where's Waldo. We went up to strangers and found people in various spots around the city who had seen him, and sometime around 4 am we finally found him jamming with some guy on some hand drums outside of a bar.

Not that this would be your exact experience :-) but I really look back at how traveling alone put me out of my comfort zone and I felt so happy being in the moment, enjoying experiences as they come. On my past cruises, I've forced myself to do traditional dining and have made friends with at least one couple at each table, giving me someone to meet up with for trivia and even some excursions. My current roll call is still a little dead right now, but we have a meet and greet planned as well as excursions - maybe you could be the one to reinvigorate it?

Honestly, my #1 bucket list adventure is to go to the South Pacific and Southeast Asia.

I also went to Turkey last spring and while I had two companions, I broke away from the group one night in Istanbul and made my way back to out hotel alone. I felt really immersed in the city, was able to focus solely on how it felt for me in that moment as opposed to being concerned about my companions and their own hesitations traveling in Turkey. Most of the time even if I'm traveling with a group I like to take at least an hour in each city to walk by myself, do my own thing. Those moments are some of my most cherished ones.

Everyone else has given fantastic advice, but I just wanted to add my voice to the mix. I'm not currently cruising solo but I wouldn't hesitate to travel solo again if my husband wasn't able to go. Land or sea - I think some of my best memories were when I was off on my own in foreign lands, being present fully in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grief is a lifelong process...it just doesn't end...I know...I lost my husband six years ago and he's still the first thing I think of every morning and the last thing I think of every night....

But since he's passed away I've begun to travel more and more...cruise more and more...and we just finished our first Baltic cruise...which btw...was amazing.

And each and every single time I do travel I remember Matt and I smile and I think to myself "he would have loved this."

If you go, go for you...not for your sweet mamma and what would have been...go because that's what your heart is telling you to do. And when you do go...you'll think of her often...more with smiles than with tears.

Only you can make the decision for what is right for you. We can all give you our opinions but only YOU know what is in your heart. And your wallet for that matter...it's a long expensive trip!!!

You've got a fan club here kiddo. We all love your reviews! I am 100% positive you will meet someone and have an amazing trip. Even with your "man cold" on the Royal a few years ago you had a great time. You can do it again!

Regards,

Natalie

Like button please:)

Ahem...

Booked a hotel.

Thank you for loaning me a bit of courage. It was exactly what I needed to get me over the hump!

Hooray for you Tracie! You're going to make great memories and have wonderful experiences alongside the memory of your Mom!

Cathy

... To book (and pay for)- my first long vacation as a solo.

Con's:

I worry that with a 17 day vacation- I might get a little lonely (just putting it out there).

While I am certain you will not be lonely on board you always have us here to keep you company on your journey! What else are you going to use all those free internet minutes for? [emoji41]

Go for it, celebrate your mom, and have the trip of a lifetime!

This is such a wonderful thread - the best of Cruise Critic.

Tracie, everything I've read here points to you going for it, so congrats for setting it in motion.

Loss is a sad but inevitable part of life; it is how we respond to it that defines who we are. Best to you all.

Ahem...

Booked a hotel.

Congratulations on "going for it". I know we talked about this on our cruise earlier this year. I wish we had the time to join you....your "cousin" will be with you in spirit!

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Know that you are in my thoughts. And, yes, should we find ourselves on the same big boat- hugs, coffee, and Kleenex are on me. (((Hugs, friend)))

TL

sounds good Tracie.... bless you..:)

O.K. You have the cutest handle I have yet to see on the boards! Thumbs up to you for creativity.:D

Aw thank you so much!!! I am a little odd (awkward is my middle name), and I love to spend time abroad, so there you have it! :D

So so glad you booked the cruise; sounds like an incredible itinerary. I've been to Singapore (extraordinary city!), but none of the other ports. You will surely have an unforgettable time! :)

Tracie - You HAVE to go! You will regret it if you don't. Will you regret it if you go?

I've never heard someone come back from a cruise and say, "Gee, I wish I didn't go on that cruise.". Live while you can. Your mom would say the same thing, I'm sure!

I also lost my mother last year and she was my original catalyst for cruising. I went solo on a British Isles cruise that was something I wanted to do for so long and I'm SO GLAD I did! Despite the distance I traveled, dealing with the varying currencies, safety, etc. (things my DH usually takes care of), it was such an incredible journey! I will never, ever forgot it. And, the roll call helped out so much! I met the nicest people on it! I did private tours with different groups within the roll call and that expanded my "friend base" on the cruise. It's now 4 years later and I'm still friends with a lot of these wonderful people. :)

Jump in and DO IT! :)