Ship time vs. Local Time

ootchang

Reposting from the general Cruise forum ....

Hoping some people here might be able to help clarify some things.

My GF and I are traveling on the Carnival Legend through Alaska 8/23-8/30. We're very excited, and have scheduled a number of excursions -- but all from independent vendors, not Carnival. (GF had some bad experiences, so I let her take the lead on this one)

The issue comes with scheduling. There seems to be some confusion of ships time vs. local time. Carnival claims that Arrival/Departure times are Ship's Time, which should be Seattle time (Port of Departure).

So, for example:

We are listed to be in Ketchikan, AK from 7am-1pm.

Which should be 6am-12pm, Alaska time.

BUT all the independent excursions seem to think we're arriving at 7am Alaska time, and the Port itself lists the ship arriving at 7 am. So what gives?

Are the arrival/departure times listed SHIP time or LOCAL time?

(The only reason this matters much is that we scheduled an excursion that ends at noon, local time, which would be when the ship is leaving, if the above is true!)

I have looked around for a straight answer, but I keep hearing different things. Anyone know? Anyone on the Legend been through this?

Edited by ootchang

No matter what port I'm at, I always ask, "What is ship's time right now?" on my way out of the ship.

If your excursion operator is worth a squat, they will be aware of this.

Have fun out there!

No matter what port I'm at, I always ask, "What is ship's time right now?" on my way out of the ship.

Have fun out there!

Always always go by ships time and tour guide should know when ship will arrive and also leave

Have fun out there!

I did exactly this, as we're getting off i asked one of the last ship employees what the ship time was, then when i got into the local port i'd ask one of the local employees what the island time was just to make sure i knew if there was a difference.

Edited by sushi_tampa

Ship time is not always the time at the port where you embarked. The captain will tell you if the time on board will be changing. I'd ask previous Legend cruisers if the time on board remained the same or changed during the cruise.

I know that on our Mexico Riviera cruises it changes by one hour and then goes back again. You need to specifically ask about your cruise. Some folks here may know but the folks on the Alaska cruise boards or previous Legend cruises will know best.

Ship time is not always the time at the port where you embarked. The captain will tell you if the time on board will be changing. I'd ask previous Legend cruisers if the time on board remained the same or changed during the cruise.

I know that on our Mexico Riviera cruises it changes by one hour and then goes back again. You need to specifically ask about your cruise. Some folks here may know but the folks on the Alaska cruise boards or previous Legend cruises will know best.

good point

I don't know about Alaska but in the Caribbean ship time stayed the same as the departure port. Not all outside vendors work with that so I would email each and ask what they do about that.

In St Maarten the #1 tour company did NOT recognize the 1 hour difference and were expecting us to show up on island time

... yet in St Kitts the company even responded to our email telling us the tour would start at noon "Ship's Time" also an hour different than island time.

Better safe by checking than hoping.

Edited by summersigh