specialty dining package worth it?

I'm going on the allure of the seas in 3 weeks and i see you can purchase ahead of time specialty dining packages which appear to be a pretty good deal as right now they are 20% off. What do you think...are the specialty restaurants worth it...on that ship specifically for anyone who has been on it? Do you really save money with the dining package?

Yes, you save money with the dining package. However, you give up the ability to reserve all the restaurants ahead of time. You have to make most of the reservations on board.

thanks...we are not organized enough to reserve certain restaurants ahead of time, lol...so that works out just good for us!

If you go to one of the specialty restaurants right after you board, there should be a good selection of reservation times left.

If you go to one of the specialty restaurants right after you board, there should be a good selection of reservation times left.

Bob, I think this has been asked and answered, just want to verify to make sure I have it straight. We booked a 3-night dining package. I picked the day for the first meal and RCCL will select the restaurant.

When exactly do you find out which restaurant has been booked for the first night? I would like to do Giovanni's. Should I just go to the restaurant when we board and either confirm or switch? Will the suite concierge know the booked restaurant when we get the welcome email? Thank you for any info.

leallison, I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Allure and the specialty dining. I'm looking forward to the same in October :)

Bob, I think this has been asked and answered, just want to verify to make sure I have it straight. We booked a 3-night dining package. I picked the day for the first meal and RCCL will select the restaurant.

When exactly do you find out which restaurant has been booked for the first night? I would like to do Giovanni's. Should I just go to the restaurant when we board and either confirm or switch? Will the suite concierge know the booked restaurant when we get the welcome email? Thank you for any info.

leallison, I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Allure and the specialty dining. I'm looking forward to the same in October :)

I don't know how you will be notified of your first restaurant. I would assume via note in your stateroom, but I don't know for sure. I'd go to Giovanni's as soon as you board and see if they can help you.

I don't know how you will be notified of your first restaurant. I would assume via note in your stateroom, but I don't know for sure. I'd go to Giovanni's as soon as you board and see if they can help you.

That's what I was thinking, a notice in the stateroom. Heading to the restaurant first thing is probably the way to go. Thank you!

This post has been really helpful but please forgive me I think I am still slightly unclear.

We want to purchase the 3 dinner package for our cruise on the Oasis. I'm clear that they get to pick our first restaurant but we pick time and 1st/2nd night. What are the actual restaurants that can be used for this package?

Chops

150 central Park

Giovanni

and Solarium

But what about Izumi and Sabor? I see in the small writing it says Izumi Hibachi can't be used for the package. And can we repeat restaurants? What if the one they chose is not one we wanted to partake in?

Thanks!!

... But what about Izumi and Sabor? I see in the small writing it says Izumi Hibachi can't be used for the package. And can we repeat restaurants? What if the one they chose is not one we wanted to partake in?

Thanks!!

For the a la carte restaurants, you get a $30 credit from the package. You can repeat restaurants. If you don't like the restaurant they chose, you can try to change it once you get onboard.

May we ask a couple of "spin-off" questions, triggered by the discussion above?

1. If we purchase a five-night specialty dining package, can we be sure that the first restaurant assigned will be a "standard" venue (e.g., Chops, Giovanni's, or Samba) -- or could we be forced to accept an a la carte restaurant (e.g., Izumi) as the first venue, even though we do not want to go there?

2. Suppose we wish to dine in a "standard" specialty restaurant on Embarkation Night. If we do not pre-purchase a package, but wait to purchase it immediately after boarding on Embarkation Day, can we rest assured that we will be able to dine that very night -- or could we forced to have our first dinner later in the week?

Thanks, in advance, for anyone's help that is based on personal experience with the above circumstances.

Edited by jg51

1. If we purchase a five-night specialty dining package, can we be sure that the first restaurant assigned will be a "standard" venue (e.g., Chops, Giovanni's, or Samba) -- or could we be forced to accept an a la carte restaurant (e.g., Izumi) as the first venue, even though we do not want to go there?

2. Suppose we wish to dine in a "standard" specialty restaurant on Embarkation Night. If we do not pre-purchase a package, but wait to purchase it immediately after boarding on Embarkation Day, can we rest assured that we will be able to dine that very night -- or could we forced to have our first dinner later in the week?

Thanks, in advance, for anyone's help that is based on personal experience with the above circumstances.

There is no guarantee of what restaurant will be assigned the first time. However, you increase your chances of making a change to a restaurant you want by getting onboard early and visiting one of the specialty restaurants.

The is no "rest assured" as far as being able to select a restaurant. Our experience is that if we are flexible with times, we can usually get our restaurant of choice, but there's no guarantee.

If you want to "rest assured", then book and pay for the restaurants in advance.

Edited by clarea

Just to add to what Bob mentioned, there is no guarantee that they will offer the dining package on the ship. On our ladt cruise on Oasis it was not offered on board and on our last Allure cruise only the 3 day package was offered.

There is no guarantee of what restaurant will be assigned the first time. However, you increase your chances of making a change to a restaurant you want by getting onboard early and visiting one of the specialty restaurants. There is no "rest assured" as far as being able to select a restaurant. Our experience is that if we are flexible with times, we can usually get our restaurant of choice, but there's no guarantee. If you want to "rest assured", then book and pay for the restaurants in advance.

Just to add to what Bob mentioned, there is no guarantee that they will offer the dining package on the ship. On our ladt cruise on Oasis it was not offered on board and on our last Allure cruise only the 3 day package was offered.

Whoa! Those are two answers we did not expect -- and did not want to read -- but thanks for the warnings.

When we were last on an RCI cruise, packages were offered on board, and we assumed that they were always offered. We are amazed to read that they sometimes are not offered, because it helps a line's reputation to be consistent.

By the way, "clarea," we did not use the phrase, "rest assured," which you twice put in quotation marks, as though we had used it.

Edited by jg51

Whoa! Those are two answers we did not expect -- and did not want to read -- but thanks for the warnings.

When we were last on an RCI cruise, packages were offered on board, and we assumed that they were always offered. We are amazed to read that they sometimes are not offered, because it helps a line's reputation to be consistent.

By the way, "clarea," we did not use the phrase, "rest assured," which you twice put in quotation marks, as though we had used it.

I agree with you that consistancy would be good however I believe that lately Royal has been changing their pricing strategy around and trying to get as many people as they an to book ahead of time and not on board. In some cases this has led to a lot of bookings so they have not had to offer the reduced price on board and in the case of our Christmas cruise I have seen them actually raise the prices on board compared to what was offered through the cruise planner.

Certainly not saying that this will happen on your cruise and the packages will most likely still be offered on board but just alerting you to the possibility that it could happen.

... By the way, "clarea," we did not use the phrase, "rest assured," which you twice put in quotation marks, as though we had used it.

Someone must have edited your post then.

I can't find this 20 percent discount referenced in some posts. Is it only for specific sailings or packages?

The dining package should be available on all sailings.

However, if you mean the 20% beverage package, that is only on specific sailings.

The dining package should be available on all sailings.

However, if you mean the 20% beverage package, that is only on specific sailings.

The first post referenced a 20 percent discount to the specialty dining package, hence the question. When I go to RCCL, it is still showing 80 dollars for a 3 night package.

I'm going on the allure of the seas in 3 weeks and i see you can purchase ahead of time specialty dining packages which appear to be a pretty good deal as right now they are 20% off. What do you think...are the specialty restaurants worth it...on that ship specifically for anyone who has been on it? Do you really save money with the dining package?

For us, they are worth every penny. In fact, I would book the dining package on every cruise if it was just my DW and I. I don't mind paying a little extra for the quite atmosphere, better food and service. :D