Do We Need A Backpack?

jormot

We are planning our first Alaskan cruise for 2017. I'm finding some really good sales for backpacks but I'm not sure we'll even need one. We plan to do a glacier walk (they provide a backpack), Misty Fjords flightseeing, and a 4x4 tour in Skagway. Can anyone think of a reason we would need a backpack? Thanks for the advice!

Nobody can really say whether or not you need a backpack. That's a very individual thing in terms of what you might be doing in terms of excursions and what sort of stuff you might be carrying during those times.

I carried a backpack everywhere off the ship; it held my camera gear as well as extra layers when we thought we might need them. My wife carried her backpack as well, both for her layers, and also to carry any stuff we bought while shopping.

For you, a tote bag may be all you need. Or maybe you'll need nothing at all.

I always carry a day pack with me wherever I travel . It holds my wallet, camera, snacks, water, maps, tickets, sunglasses, poncho, etc

In Alaska, where you dress in layers it's especially useful ..... if the day warms up you have a place to put your jacket or if the day turns ugly, you have a jacket tucked away in your pack.

We are planning our first Alaskan cruise for 2017. I'm finding some really good sales for backpacks but I'm not sure we'll even need one. We plan to do a glacier walk (they provide a backpack), Misty Fjords flightseeing, and a 4x4 tour in Skagway. Can anyone think of a reason we would need a backpack? Thanks for the advice!

You need to be prepared with layers whenever you are off the ship. In addition to things like cameras, water bottles, and sunglasses most people carry rain coats, an extra sweat shirt or sweater, maybe hat and gloves. If you can do it without a back pack or book bag, then you don't need one, but we find them very convenient.

Edited by zqvol

I always bring a small day pack like the kids use to carry their books. You should be able to find one at any major retailer cheap, I actually bought mine years ago at Tongass Trading in Ketchikan for $10. Very useful to carry gloves, scarf sweatshirt snacks etc when walking around town. If it rains its handy to have a way to keep my camera dry/.

I carry around my college shoulder pack 20 years later (got great use of it after college). It has seen the world.

It carries my purse, my camera, a rain jacket, water bottle, gloves, ear protection and sometime an umbrella.

While expensive for this one trip - it has proved to be a great travel companion and I do prefer the shoulder pack to a back pack.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FSSB

You need to be prepared with layers whenever you are off the ship. In addition to things like cameras, water bottles, and sunglasses most people carry rain coats, an extra sweat shirt or sweater, maybe hat and gloves. If you can do it without a back pack or book bag, then you don't need one, but we find them very convenient.

We find them very convenient, too. Usually we are peeling off layers as the day goes on, and having a place to stow those layers is great.

We have a cheap nylon backpack that folds to almost nothing. It goes in my carry-on luggage, and if it is ever needed, can be used as my carry-on bag, while repurposing my real carry-on to be checked luggage. I can't imagine traveling without a day pack.

That varies so much on just what you are doing for the day.

Nice to have something, as others have stated, to put wind breakers,

extra clothing in so you don't have to carry it. Water

bottles, snacks. Depends on what and where you are going to do for

the day.

We arrive back in Seward for disembarkation. The DH and I always

use our roller bag carry on's when we embark. The ship comes back in

very early in the day, and our train does not leave until 6 pm. Train

station will hold our luggage, but we don't want to drag around the

roller bags. All wallets, phones, passports, cash, etc. will go in

the back packs so we may have them with us, and simply check

the rollers in with the suitcases.