Help us understand why the prices are spiking on this P&O Cruise

NewYorkOrBust

I too in the past have looked on the P&O site to see which cabins are available, then phoned my cruise agent and when she looked there were far more available. However, this was very early in the booking season - all I'm saying is don't trust what it says on the website. The advice you have been given comes from very experienced cruisers who certainly know what they're talking about. If it were me I wouldn't have waited this long for a cruise I know P&O have no trouble filling. If you can afford it book it now or it may be that you will have to wait till next year. I hope you manage it.

I'm sorry this isn't a very helpful reponse, but I'm on a crusade to save the English language! If the prices have really "spiked", they have gone up and then down again so you don't have a problem. A rise without a fall is not a spike, no matter how much the media misuse the word.

Really?.......no Really is this about use of the English Language. Pedantic or What? Not helpful to the OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They never put all their available cabins on the website. You would need a Travel Agent who has access to their booking systems to see exactly what cabins they have.

Out of interest, we booked our 19 night cruise this coming October in April 2015. So far, even with Early Saver fares, the cheapest cabin is still £400 more per person than we paid, so booking early has so far paid off for us.

Another factor is that for very popular cruises like the New England fall ones, travel agents sometimes block book cabins to sell on. Personally I would ring round and see what's on offer. I have always got a discount on P&O prices.

By the way - it IS a fabulous cruise!

Really?.......no Really is this about use of the English Language. Pedantic or What? Not helpful to the OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I infer opinions on whether correct use of English, and correct spelling and grammar, enhance these boards and encourage participation differ.

We did this cruise four years ago. Can't remember when we booked our inside cabin but I know we paid just over £100 a night each. It was very good even though we missed a few ports due to weather. The ship, Aurora, was full even though QM was also following the same itinerary at the same time. To give you an idea of how popular it is we met a couple who had done the same cruise for the previous eight years. If you miss this one you know you have to wait a year. If you decide to wait I would book as soon you are able. Using the guide price from this year.

Check on line travel agency prices and get quotes asap from local travel agents. Ask if they can offer you any discounts as sometimes they can. It doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.

If you have already sailed with p&o would this effect any onboard credit you may get....or if you have already paid a future cruise deposit on a previous cruise would this not count if you do not go through P&O?

Barrie

If you have already sailed with p&o would this effect any onboard credit you may get....or if you have already paid a future cruise deposit on a previous cruise would this not count if you do not go through P&O?

Barrie

Booking through a TA will get you exactly the same OBC as booking direct, as regards the future cruise deposit this should be transferable to any TA, give them the details and let them sort it out with P&O.

Booking through a TA will get you exactly the same OBC as booking direct, as regards the future cruise deposit this should be transferable to any TA, give them the details and let them sort it out with P&O.

Thanks for that John, really handy to know this.:)

Barrie

Hello all, I booked this cruise in March 2015 when it was released, I don't normally track prices once I've booked but I have to confess I have tracked this one. I think that in part the minimum price has appeared to increase as the lower grades in each category have sold out. Also the demand may have gone up as the cruise approaches. With regard to the website my theory is that: say they have 490 savers booked and awaiting allocation and 500 cabins (let's not get into the complexities of upgrades between available grades) this means there are 10 left available. The website still shows 500 to enable anyone booking a select to have the cabin of their choice, but once those 10 are booked (as saver or select) it will suddenly show as full. It isn't in P&Os interest to do it differently as if we all knew exactly what was left we would be able to figure out if there would be a likely drop in price. It is looking to me that it is unlikely we will see a last minute reduction but keep looking every day as you never know. I really hope you get to come, please let us know if you book - I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Edited by Florry

We too are booked on this cruise and I have been watching the price which has gone up and down but has as yet not gone lower than when we booked it in August 2015. So perhaps this once we have been wise to book early. Out of interest, well to us anyway, J 613 has also increased in price considerably since we booked last August. I have no idea why but I am pleased that we were able to book ahead.

Hope that you make it on board

Anne

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I hope you can help us understand what is happening with the prices on this cruise:-

http://www.pocruises.com/j614/?search=true&leadmeta=i

Me and my good lady both in our late 30s who have only cruised twice before on Fred Olsen had our hearts set last summer on a P & O 12 port 24 night cruise to New york, Boston, Quebec etc due to depart September the 11th this year.

We booked our days off work and tried to start saving ages ago in autumn 2015 but we had just moved into our first house and what with bills and an expensive christmas we had nothing saved and thought look this just isnt going to happen this year and promply decided to forget about it being an option in early January. Come late April time I cursorily looked on the P&O website to find the cruise had dropped to £2499 saving us a combined £800 and there was still 12 inside cabins available. I figured that if we both put £500 away from May to September we'd be able to pay in early september just before it sailed (we'd left the same dates in play with both our employers).

The wifey thought this was a crazy idea as the remaining cabins would probably slowly sell if we left it as late as 2 weeks before it sailed to pay but we knew we needed to save for a holiday if not this so started putting the money away and then saw it drop two more times down to £2199 with £325 onboard spend. Also none of the inside cabins have gone either since May. We were so elated as the months ticked by as the prices dropped a bit then stayed at £2199 for 2 months and the cabins remained available.

So we budgeted assuming it was going to come in at £2199 or maybe less. But Since the last book by offer on 1st of August past the price has gone up to £2299 for a day then next day £2399 and now its at £2599.

Everything I've read says that the price shouldnt be going up at this stage so what gives? Is this a fluke caused by Brexit? or something else? Do you think it will go down again? We could only just afford it when it stayed at £2199 and we are both a bit fed up now as we really canot affod it now at this price.

Best Regards

Gareth

It's back at £2199 Gareth - fingers crossed its not too late for you X

Sent from my iPhone using Forums