Do It Myself Or Try To Find Agent???

Bo1953

How Do You Prefer To Do Cruise Airline Ticketing???  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Prefer To Do Cruise Airline Ticketing???

• Prefer To Do It On My Own, Do Not Trust Anyone Else!
    • Prefer A TA To Handle It, Of Course!
    • Prefer A Travel Companion Do It All, As I Do Not Need To Know!
    • We/I Drive To Our Embarkation Point, No TA Needed!

I've been in the travel industry for over 20 years (since the age of 10) and I would be delighted to help.

Unless you're a travel pro, know where to look, don't mind devoting time, second guess whether you've selected the best deal, in addition to populating websites with personal information, passport details and the like...let someone else do it.

Let bricklayers lay brick and delivery boys deliver. If you think Expedia or Orbitz will help during IRROPS or if a hotel underdelivers, for as much as they're paid for your booking, :eek:

Why the hell would I call Expedia for help during IRROPS? At that stage it's under the airline to get you where you want to go, and what can a TA *really* do after the fact if a hotel undelivers? If I had an awful stay in contact corporate or the GM.

Also as a self confessed travel pro how do you get "the best deal"? How hard is it really to book a flight? I could do it in less than 90secs on the websites I use most.

I've been in the travel industry for over 20 years (since the age of 10) and I would be delighted to help.

Unless you're a travel pro, know where to look, don't mind devoting time, second guess whether you've selected the best deal, in addition to populating websites with personal information, passport details and the like...let someone else do it.

Let bricklayers lay brick and delivery boys deliver. If you think Expedia or Orbitz will help during IRROPS or if a hotel underdelivers, for as much as they're paid for your booking, :eek:

JM, as I like it, provide me with the options as I will have given some input as to what is preferred. Tell me what was found and compare the options, I say book and here is my CC... done.

I Am not having to check websites or compare or etc... I use to have a great TA when living in the Atlanta area, made a phone call this is the destination and how we want to travel, a few days later with a call or fax (in those days) with proposed itineraries, and voila booked! If I wanted a change I would ask for a variation, if it was possible... if not, fine.

Yes, times have changed and those who love to do this sort of thing on their own, I laud you... I will look for a bit when I think about it and when time gets short book what looks best...

Thank you all again for your input, regardless.. as I have several months ahead of me, most of the people traveling with us will remind me about the air portion and a few hotels, for sure from time to time, rather I want to think about it or not.... :D

bon voyage!

JM, as I like it, provide me with the options as I will have given some input as to what is preferred. Tell me what was found and compare the options, I say book and here is my CC... done.

And yet.... your prior posts made it sound like you wanted someone who would monitor prices over some period of time to try to make sure you were getting the best deal possible. That is very different from saying "here are my parameters, tell me what's available right now within those parameters and I'll select the best option and book it and your work will be done."

Yep, from the OP:

My challenge is, I really, really, really would not like to keep up with airline prices, schedules etc. yet I have yet to find an agent willing to take us on as we did not book the cruise through them. The 'agency' through which I booked the cruise had a great offer, but does not do airline tickets as part of their service.

My question is, should I continue this seemingly elusive search or resign to the fact that I need to monitor and purchase the tickets myself and not worry about it?

And yet.... your prior posts made it sound like you wanted someone who would monitor prices over some period of time to try to make sure you were getting the best deal possible. That is very different from saying "here are my parameters, tell me what's available right now within those parameters and I'll select the best option and book it and your work will be done."

WB - thank you for your input -

You are quite correct, as I did not want to do it, monitor for a 'good' price, our sailing is nine (9) months away, therefore if someone else was monitoring that is fine, since I Am doing it, likely I will wait until Jan/Feb before just pulling the trigger so it is off my plate altogether.

Previously when I lived in the ATL 20+ years ago, when there were not many options, quick and dirty and done. Now with the advent of many more options/variations, it is not really my desire to keep up with them, for now.

With the advent of consolidation in the airline industry, my concerns are generally, what is the shortest flight, non-stop if possible, good in-flight service to my destination at what I consider a fair price in C+/E+ or higher seating. All too often sale or cheap cost is not applicable, just routing preferences. I do understand that nine (9) months out is a bit early, too, thus the wait on my part.

I think I have found a few sites which will send notifications on airfare pricing which may provide me some relief from having to think about checking airfares incessantly. ;-)

Thank you for your thoughts and bon voyage.

A good way to monitor prices is to go on google flights put in dates, etc., pick out the connection, airline and price that suits best. Then click on track prices. They will send you an email everytime the price changes up or down and give several alternatives with prices. So if you do this for a while you get a feeling how prices could develop and when to push the button. Although of course there is nowhere a guarantee how it then really develops.

Edited by Michidoeme

A good way to monitor prices is to go on google flights put in dates, etc., pick out the connection, airline and price that suits best. Then click on track prices. They will send you an email everytime the price changes up or down and give several alternatives with prices. So if you do this for a while you get a feeling how prices could develop and when to push the button. Although of course there is nowhere a guarantee how it then really develops.

M - thank you for this information. I will check it out for sure...

bon voyage

Why the hell would I call Expedia for help during IRROPS? At that stage it's under the airline to get you where you want to go, and what can a TA *really* do after the fact if a hotel undelivers? If I had an awful stay in contact corporate or the GM.

Last Friday evening DFW experienced many cancellations due to weather. Had a VIP client who was in the Admirals Club and counted 32 passengers waiting to be reaccom, the AA EXP desk had a 1.5 hour ASA, and AA Sales Support had an unknown hold time (hung up after 30 minutes). AA provides travel agents the ability to re-book online (<5 minutes) so instead of waiting in line or on hold, he went directly to his hotel and caught his morning flight stress-free.

As far as hotels, depends on the issue/request, but I wouldn't allow it to escalate past my departure. A TA with significant booking volume/connections or is designated in a preferred program (e.g. Ritz STARS), can often help resolve issues/requests.

Also as a self-confessed travel pro how do you get "the best deal"? How hard is it really to book a flight? I could do it in less than 90secs on the websites I use most.

Depends on the itinerary, complexity, class of service, special requests, budget, routing, number of passengers, etc. For some executive clients with multi-city, international itineraries it can take several hours of back/forth before selecting the right one.

Last Friday evening DFW experienced many cancellations due to weather. Had a VIP client who was in the Admirals Club and counted 32 passengers waiting to be reaccom, the AA EXP desk had a 1.5 hour ASA, and AA Sales Support had an unknown hold time (hung up after 30 minutes).

Sounds like your client was VIP with you but not with AA. Otherwise I would imagine that, if AA is like DL, his call automatically would have been routed to the top of the queue, particularly if the cancellation issue wasn't a nationwide issue but just limited to DFW. A hold of 30+ minutes suggest otherwise.

I certainly dont have the experience of many who post here, but I have had reasonably good success with the issue raised by the OP.....

Kayak.com (and maybe others) offers a free, automated monitoring service that will update daily and email the subscriber with information/pricing on whatever routings are specified.

Just sign up for a free account.

I certainly dont have the experience of many who post here, but I have had reasonably good success with the issue raised by the OP.....

Kayak.com (and maybe others) offers a free, automated monitoring service that will update daily and email the subscriber with information/pricing on whatever routings are specified.

Just sign up for a free account.

tf - I will take a look at this, too. So far I have subscribed to several services. Specifically, I want either C+/E+ or FC service.

bon voyage

Sounds like your client was VIP with you but not with AA. Otherwise I would imagine that, if AA is like DL, his call automatically would have been routed to the top of the queue, particularly if the cancellation issue wasn't a nationwide issue but just limited to DFW. A hold of 30+ minutes suggest otherwise.

Do most on Cruise Critic make multiple asinine assumptions that have little bearing on the topic? Who are you to judge someone's VIP status with the supplier, me or anyone?

The passenger in question is the CEO of a $500M/Top 50 travel agency, a former Level 7 Managing Director at AA, the aviation industry's first Technology Evangelist, CK, 300K EQMs YTD and 15 years later, I'd say 1 out 5 agents at DFW still recognize his last name (which also happens to be mine).

I've managed call centers before and since US policies were adopted, AA's ASA during IRROPS has increased significantly. How does DL's call center routing, speed of answer, queuing, prioritizing, etc. impact AA here? A 30+ minute hold time doesn't suggest anything other than inadequate staffing. I was on hold that long with AA Sales Support and I'm with a Top 20 agency.

Do most on Cruise Critic make multiple asinine assumptions that have little bearing on the topic? Who are you to judge someone's VIP status with the supplier, me or anyone?

The passenger in question is the CEO of a $500M/Top 50 travel agency, a former Level 7 Managing Director at AA, the aviation industry's first Technology Evangelist, CK, 300K EQMs YTD and 15 years later, I'd say 1 out 5 agents at DFW still recognize his last name (which also happens to be mine).

I've managed call centers before and since US policies were adopted, AA's ASA during IRROPS has increased significantly. How does DL's call center routing, speed of answer, queuing, prioritizing, etc. impact AA here? A 30+ minute hold time doesn't suggest anything other than inadequate staffing. I was on hold that long with AA Sales Support and I'm with a Top 20 agency.

OMG, keep your shorts on, LOL. You're the one who felt the need to point out that your client was a "VIP" but didn't specify what that meant. I simply wondered with which company (your travel agency or the airline), as it could make a difference in how quickly he gets reaccommodated in IRROPS. :rolleyes:

Thank you FT for the input. I will look into the YVR-JFK route on CX, had not thought of that... EWR is a deal breaker, that airport is so lame and people beyond rude and lost luggage has been our experience. JFK, while a bit further away, I think we can muster up to deal with traffic back to TTN or possibly find a connecting flight to PHL?

Our cruise fare is approximately $5k. We have seen coach fares as low as $600 r/t in coach, yet for the distance flown, it would not be comfortable enough for our desires, as such Premium, Coach+ and the like or Business Class. I weigh in at a hefty 185# and to sit in coach for more than 2.5 hours is not what we are looking for. Cheap, yes, comfortable a MUST, this beats advertized cheap any day.

Cruise vacations are our once a year splurge so we want to be comfortable from the time we leave home to the time we return home...

I should be able to find the CX flight at their website or your recommendation?

bon voyage

You can also phone CX and book with an airline agent. If you are looking for a premium package out of Vancouver, depending on time of year Air Canada also operate a 787 from Vancouver into Newark. Their 787 fleet have the international business class seats (similar to CX) they also sell the international premium economy seats as economy but charge extra for seat selection.

If you don't want to deal with searching websites you can also just give your favourite airline a call and see what they have to offer. Calling the airline agent, they tend to suggest their own product first but are able to offer seats on other airlines on the same ticket.

Edited by em-sk

[quote name='em-sk']You can also phone CX and book with an airline agent. If you are looking for a premium package out of Vancouver, depending on time of year Air Canada also operate a 787 from Vancouver into Newark. Their 787 fleet have the international business class seats (similar to CX) they also sell the international premium economy seats as economy but charge extra for seat selection.

If you don't want to deal with searching websites you can also just give your favourite airline a call and see what they have to offer. Calling the airline agent, they tend to suggest their own product first but are able to offer seats on other airlines on the same ticket.[/quote]

es - Thank you for the suggestion, I think I will follow this one, very easy to do.

Also, I think I have found a TA who will do this for me, for a fee which I do not mind paying.

We shall see though, I will continue to monitor, to a great degree when I remember to.

bon voyage all... and really, thank you.