Arriving Fort Lauderdale - 8.30pm Miami Departure - WHAT TO DO?

Arriving Fort Lauderdale on 8th October on RC Oasis of the Seas.

There are 4 of us (2 couples) and our flight to London is from Miami at 8.30 pm. We will have about 4 suitcases (between us) following a 3 week holiday.

We would have already stayed 3 nights in South Beech prior to departing on the cruise.

Any ideas please on what we should do on our final day bearing in mind our luggage. We were thinking of booking a room in Fort Lauderdale to use as a base. Any hotel recommendations or other ideas?

Thanks

Howard

Realistically, I think you have 2 options.

You can do one of the RCI tours that drop you back at the airport. We have done this a couple of times. We take the bus tour of FL which then has a trip on the 'river' that comes down to the cruise port, so you can see the ships and the super yachts of the rich and famous. Luggage is stored on the bus, so no need to worry about it. You will be dropped at MIA about 2-2:30, so still a bit of time to kill!

Rent a car for the day. I just did a dummy run on Budget http://budget.com/ , which is on 17th St 200yds from the port gates. They run a shuttle bus. You can get a Ford Escape (small SUV) for under £50. With that you can go where you like. Maybe go and park in the multi storey near the Water Taxi and go up and down the waterways http://watertaxi.com/ , or just hit a beach. On return to MIA, be aware there is a toll road into the airport, but you can get round it with a bit of planning. There is a dedicated car rental centre at MIA where you drop the car and a shuttle train takes you to the airport (about 5 mins).

Simon

We booked a day room at Hilton Miami airport. Got taxi from port, left our luggage in the bedroom, used pool and loungers all day, late lunch then had showers and changed and free shuttle bus to terminal. Nice to have air conditioned clean and spacious base, cost about £100 but worth it to have a relaxing day.

Arriving Fort Lauderdale on 8th October on RC Oasis of the Seas.

There are 4 of us (2 couples) and our flight to London is from Miami at 8.30 pm. We will have about 4 suitcases (between us) following a 3 week holiday.

We would have already stayed 3 nights in South Beech prior to departing on the cruise.

Any ideas please on what we should do on our final day bearing in mind our luggage. We were thinking of booking a room in Fort Lauderdale to use as a base. Any hotel recommendations or other ideas?

Thanks

Howard

The was 7 of us in January and we arranged a private tour of Miami and the everglades. Picking us up from the port and then dropping us to airport for I think the same flight. Was very good value for money. Don't think I can advertise on here who the company is but if you look around the seems to be several reputable operators. I will be doing a review soon of this trip on my blog.

watertaxi.com

stay local in lauderdale. hop on hop off service to all the fort lauderdale bars, restaurants, downtown, etc. See million dollar homes and yachts. Much better way to spend time than the Everglades tour, IMO.

LMaxwell, last Oct, we stayed overnight and took the Water Taxi and really enjoyed the trip. We got off and had a late Lunch. It was very enjoyable and relaxing. There were 12 in our group that chose to stay over.

Whenever I need to get around FtLauderdale the water taxi is my preferred means. Park in one spot and just go. No traffic of congestion. So easy. Quick rides everywhere and it runs very often. Great way to sitesee also.

watertaxi.com

stay local in lauderdale. hop on hop off service to all the fort lauderdale bars, restaurants, downtown, etc. See million dollar homes and yachts. Much better way to spend time than the Everglades tour, IMO.

Excellent suggestion. With the Zika/mosquito issue in So. FL there is no way I would entertain the thought of an Everglades tour. Loved the WaterTaxi in Ft. Lauderdale hop on/ hop off....lunch at 15th Street Fisheries.

Don't know what to suggest about luggage. Does RCCL have a delivery service of luggage to airport? I know Celebrity has some type of service. Check it out.

Enjoy your cruise, South Beach and time between cruise and flight. Safe travel

I have seen lots of everglades tours on Groupon. There are also sales on Groupon regularly so you can get that even lower priced.

Also, for Budget, the pick up at the port location is often more than at the airport location. Check both locations. Then take the shuttle to the airport for car rental pick ups if that is less.

I have found dollar and thrifty to be less with free shuttle to the airport for pick up and then use it for the day and then drop off at Miami with shuttle to the port.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

Whenever I need to get around FtLauderdale the water taxi is my preferred means. Park in one spot and just go. No traffic of congestion. So easy. Quick rides everywhere and it runs very often. Great way to sitesee also.

Do you know where they are located in FFL? We used them in Sydney and it was a blast.

The was 7 of us in January and we arranged a private tour of Miami and the everglades. Picking us up from the port and then dropping us to airport for I think the same flight. Was very good value for money. Don't think I can advertise on here who the company is but if you look around the seems to be several reputable operators. I will be doing a review soon of this trip on my blog.

Review is done :)

I still drive down from Ohio to my cruises so flights aren't a thing.

That said, I've taken to staying on 17th Street next to Port Everglades. There are wide range of hotels, usually quite affordable and the area is walkable in the evening hours.