Breakaway question- can I bring a French press or coffee aboard?

MattandjenH

I've heard the coffee is not very good in our rooms or on board. Can I bring a French press and coffee with me? Can you bring alternative coffee pods to use in their machines? If so, what kind?

Thanks to all who reply! Can't wait to board on Sunday!

If you do bring a french press and coffee, please be considerate of your cabin steward and bring ziplock bags to dispose of the grounds. They cannot go down the toilet or sink, and the steward has to sort your garbage by hand when they take it down for disposal.

I've never been on Breakaway, but on Epic, I have always taken coffee and/or manual press which I use in Europe. I found the coffee makers in Epic cabins to work quite well, though. We like strong, dark (Starbucks Komodo Dragon) coffee. I will say that O'Sheehan's was always able to meet our order of very hot, very strong.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I've never been on Breakaway, but on Epic, I have always taken coffee and/or manual press which I use in Europe. I found the coffee makers in Epic cabins to work quite well, though. We like strong, dark (Starbucks Komodo Dragon) coffee. I will say that O'Sheehan's was always able to meet our order of very hot, very strong.

What kind of coffee did you take? Not brand but was it some kind of pod or those pre filled filter pods maybe? I don't know what the machines in the rooms use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What kind of coffee did you take? Not brand but was it some kind of pod or those pre filled filter pods maybe? I don't know what the machines in the rooms use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Epic used the regular basket drip but newer ships have the linked item. After refurb, Epic may have those too. IDK.

We just booked our first NCL sailing for October on the Breakaway and had read in some forums that coffee makers are only in Balcony and above, is this true? We booked a outside. If not, do you still pay the room service fee if you want to order coffee in the morning, no food, just coffee. We never had coffee makers in our cabins on the other lines we sailed but did not have to pay room service fees either. Thank you.

We just booked our first NCL sailing for October on the Breakaway and had read in some forums that coffee makers are only in Balcony and above, is this true? We booked a outside. If not, do you still pay the room service fee if you want to order coffee in the morning, no food, just coffee. We never had coffee makers in our cabins on the other lines we sailed but did not have to pay room service fees either. Thank you.

You can order coffee for your cabin at no charge up until 10:00am

you can also order some breakfast Items at no charge as long as it

is before 10:00 am. Yes coffeemakers are only in Balcony's and up.

You can order coffee for your cabin at no charge up until 10:00am

you can also order some breakfast Items at no charge as long as it

is before 10:00 am. Yes coffeemakers are only in Balcony's and up.

That's great! Thanks for the quick reply. :)

On the BA, just ask your Room Steward when boarding on Sunday if s/he can find/get your a coffee maker (spare ones) once s/he is done with the busy turnaround tasks - odds are by evening's turndown service or next morning, you will find one placed in your Oceanview or Inside Stateroom. If you only need regular and not decaf coffee pods - let s/he know or ask for 4 or 6 of them.

The cup that you'll likely get is a small one, 6 oz. at most - the Hamilton Beach single serve maker should fit a bigger mug, up to 8 or 10 oz. depending on the height (see pix below) Bring your own coffee mug and if you prefer a stronger cup, improvise by using 2 pods at a time to make a 8 to 10 oz. cup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

Edited by mking8288

On the BA, just ask your Room Steward when boarding on Sunday if s/he can find/get your a coffee maker (spare ones) once s/he is done with the busy turnaround tasks - odds are by evening's turndown service or next morning, you will find one placed in your Oceanview or Inside Stateroom. If you only need regular and not decaf coffee pods - let s/he know or ask for 4 or 6 of them.

The cup that you'll likely get is a small one, 6 oz. at most - the Hamilton Beach single serve maker should fit a bigger mug, up to 8 or 10 oz. depending on the height (see pix below) Bring your own coffee mug and if you prefer a stronger cup, improvise by using 2 pods at a time to make a 8 to 10 oz. cup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

Great suggestion, thanks.

I took a "pourover" setup on our last cruise. It's an insulated carafe with cover and filter holder that sits on top. I had a couple hot cups with lids which I would use to get hot water (always available even when buffet was not yet open) and then I'd have a full carafe with 4 cups of good strong fresh coffee.

I took a few plastic shopping bags and dropped the filters and grounds into those and tied them up for a no-mess trash.

• 3 weeks later...