How much formal gear to take?

Pet

Hi - We are cruising on Britannia (B630) 13 nights Southampton To Canary Islands and today received our "Your holiday information" booklet from P&O.

Although it mentions appropriate formal wear it doesn't give an indication of how many formal nights there are expected to be. I would imagine at least 2 and maybe 4! Trouble is the high command will not want to be seen in the same gown/cocktail dress more than once (because obviously all 4,000 passengers will notice hic) and I don't want to lug an extra case if its not necessary!!

So grateful if anyone could advise of the projected number of formal nights?

Many thanks

Michael

If you go on to your cruise personaliser and click on the "full itinerary view" tab it tells you dress code and the number of black tie nights. We're on a 10 night cruise in December and we have 3 so you'll probably have 4. So 4 dresses (naturally) for the wif! [emoji2]

Hi - We are cruising on Britannia (B630) 13 nights Southampton To Canary Islands and today received our "Your holiday information" booklet from P&O.

Although it mentions appropriate formal wear it doesn't give an indication of how many formal nights there are expected to be. I would imagine at least 2 and maybe 4! Trouble is the high command will not want to be seen in the same gown/cocktail dress more than once (because obviously all 4,000 passengers will notice hic) and I don't want to lug an extra case if its not necessary!!

Many thanks

Michael

Ofcourse--ref the dresses...:p All 4000 passengers will notice.

One of the formals will be black and white..you do not have to stick to the colour theme, but a lot do.....

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael, on a 13-nighter I would think you'll get 4 formals. And FYI, Everyone WILL notice if the same dress is worn on more than one occasion. I have managed to accumulate so many dresses now that I don't have to buy any new ones. I call it my 'Cruise Collection' and the best way to justify the expense is to book more cruises ;)

Beautifully cut trousers in black and/or cream are a great starting point also, and with a selection of sparkly tops can give a lady many different outfits and keeps the packing under control. It's a win-win.

What does it matter if you wear an outfit once, twice or even three times during your cruise. To be smartly dress to suit the occasion it the main criterion. I know some people like to dress to impress, but you don't have to take your entire wardrobe to do that. On a cruise with 4 formal nights I would probably take one cocktail dress and perhaps a pair of evening trousers with a couple to glitzy/smart tops. I don't think I would take more even if there were 5 formal nights. Keep it simple is my motto. In fact, with the advent of Anytime Dining and more choices in evening dining options who can remember what anyone has worn: if they can then they ought to get another, more fulfilling hobby!

What does it matter if you wear an outfit once, twice or even three times during your cruise. To be smartly dress to suit the occasion it the main criterion. I know some people like to dress to impress, but you don't have to take your entire wardrobe to do that. On a cruise with 4 formal nights I would probably take one cocktail dress and perhaps a pair of evening trousers with a couple to glitzy/smart tops. I don't think I would take more even if there were 5 formal nights. Keep it simple is my motto. In fact, with the advent of Anytime Dining and more choices in evening dining options who can remember what anyone has worn: if they can then they ought to get another, more fulfilling hobby!

I think in my early cruising years I would take lots of outfits but over time this has declined in importance to me!

^It always surprises me (as an example) that you will get blokes wearing a black bowtie on the regular formal nights, but then wear a glow in the dark lunimous green one on the Black & White night.

DH wears the same colour bow tie as my evening dresses, his idea not mine. On B & W night he wears a black one as he doesn't have a white one! All just a bit of fun. We are on B630 on 27th September, getting very excited.