If someone told you to jump off a bridge...

honeymoon4ever

We now have five couples in our group sailing together. I would really like my husband to wear a tuxedo for at least one or two of the formal nights on our cruise. However, I doubt any of the other men in our group will wear tuxes, just a dark suit.

My husband doesn't want to look over-dressed around our friends. His other excuse is that on our last Princess cruise he doesn't remember seeing anyone in a tux. I can't say that I honestly remember either.

Do you think age has anything to do with who wears a tux to the formal nights?

No I don't think age has anything to do with it. I've seen men of all ages from baby to very old in a tux.

I think he should set the example for your friends of how to dress the way the cruise lines intended formal night and wear a tux.

We're going with a group of 16. I already know my sons (15 & 13) and I will be the only ones wearing tuxes. I'm 37. So I hope it's not an age thing, or I'm already an "old geezer." I'm not giving another thought to what the other guys are wearing. Formals are speacial nights we enjoy and I'm not about to let other people change that just because they're going on the cruise with us.

Our experience with Princess has been roughly roughly a 50/50 split between suits and tuxes.

Wear the tux. Heck, if he rents from them it's one less thing to pack and drag around in the garment bag.

"if someone told you to jump off a bridge" sounds like an intro to some of the sage advice my mother gave to me when I was a callow youth.

That said, I am a traditionalist, and wear a tux (or white dinner jacket) on formal nights. In the traditional dining rooms, I think the majority of men do go the tux route. Never eaten PC, so don't know if same holds true there, but looking around the ship in the evening, it seems the majority of passengers follow the suggested dress code.

Call me sneaky but I'd go through the "bosses". Talk to the other wives. Tell them "my husband looks so HOT in a tux! Any chance we could get all the guys in them for the cruise?" Imagine the great pictures with everyone all dressed up! ;)

Really makes the man feel good and he won't feel funny at all.

The man feels good? Are you sure the man feels good? Does the man feel pretty? That reminded me of my wife when she says the DOG feels good when it gets her haircut.

leave the men alone! :D

I never understood why women care so much what their husband wears. Could you EVER imagine a post where a man says "I'd really like my wife to wear a red gucci dress the last night...help!" :)

Oh, I think that would depend on the red Gucci dress. ;) The guy might not come on here asking for advice, but if his wife looks really hot in that dress, I wouldn't be surprised to hear him lobbying her about it.

I've known guys to suggest a favorite outfit for their ladies to wear. Besides, the only real reason woman get all dolled up is to make the men drool.

I really don't get the tux opposition thing. My husband used to travel with a dark suit and white shirt for formal nights. Then he outgrew his dark suits, and, since he no longer needed a suit for work, opted to buy a tux instead. $99 at JC Penneys, plus another $30 for the shirt, studs, tie and cummerbund. Less than 1/4 the price of a new dark suit, he looks absolutely dynamite in it, and it is no harder to pack or wear than a suit. He complains occasionally about the collar, but I'm looking into getting him a tux shirt with a simple black ribbon on a collar...no tie necessary. He wears his old military patent leather dress shoes, and he is good to go. Since I abandoned panty hose (not just on a cruise, but for life, in general) formal nights really aren't a big deal anymore.

The man feels good? Are you sure the man feels good? Does the man feel pretty? That reminded me of my wife when she says the DOG feels good when it gets her haircut. leave the men alone! :D
Yes, the man feels good. What guy wouldn't like to be complimented that he looks handsome? I, in particular, like the James Bond look :cool: and feel, and all that really matters is the smile on my wife's face and the sparkle in her eye when she says how good I look.

I was showing DH some of the newer styles of mens formal wear online, and I think I may have him almost convinced... :) I had to promise that he would NEVER EVER EVER have to wear a bow tie.

As far as the comments about "leave him alone" and "why do I care what he wears?"

Well, every marriage is different. Every person is different. I buy most of my DH clothing, because, honestly, he hates shopping, and he trusts my opinion when it comes to style and what looks really good on him. He takes a lot of pride in his appearance and would he never want to feel as though he was "under dressed". However, I think his fear is that he doesn't want to call too much attention to himself by being "overdressed" either. (He is sort of shy)

Which is why these boards are so helpful! If he KNOWS that he will not be in a minority at dinner with a tux on, he doesn't mind wearing one.

Oh and by the way as to the SGRIFF17, there are definitely plenty of husbands out there who care very much what their wives wear, and that they are dressed appropriately..... Mine may not be one of them, but that is beside the point.... he is just a better person than I am! lol

Guest AdiosReality

Men don't like playing dress-up like women do, just put it to him this way, all of the wait staff will be wearing a tux! He won't look out of place at all, he may get asked for a glass of water on his way to the restroom....but....it can't be that bad. My father wears a tux, he's 50, but about 18 at heart so I don't think age has anything to do with it, its not like your asking him to wear a speedo. :eek:

Ya know we all have to do what we are comfortable with. My husband who always prefers to overdress has always worn a dark suit on our cruises and definitely felt like he fit in. He has dark suits for work so he just didn't feel the need to purchase a tux just for this. Especially since his sizes tend to go up and down and you never know if it would fit next time. We have always noticed that tuxes were in the minority on the cruises we have been on which have been RCCL, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival.

I, on the other hand, am thinking of dressing up in something special. Have fun and IMHO let the hubby where what he feels comfortable with as long as it comes under the dress code suggestions--which a suit does.

Yes, the man feels good. What guy wouldn't like to be complimented that he looks handsome? I, in particular, like the James Bond look :cool: and feel, and all that really matters is the smile on my wife's face and the sparkle in her eye when she says how good I look.

Aw, that's so adorable! Why can't all guys be that good? :D

Guest AdiosReality
Aw, that's so adorable! Why can't all guys be that good? :D

Don't buy into it! Don't take the bait! Yeah okay, that is cute. :o

Oh and by the way as to the SGRIFF17, there are definitely plenty of husbands out there who care very much what their wives wear, and that they are dressed appropriately..... Mine may not be one of them, but that is beside the point.... he is just a better person than I am! lol

I just think my wife is beautiful in WHATEVER she chooses to wear. And if she chooses to wear nothing, then that is fine too... (Uh, I guess I'd prefer that...he he) But really, I'd rather her be comfortable. I guess I can say that, though, b/c I know she'd NEVER go out without being all jazzed up. I guess I kinda do understand where you're coming from...women are just more likely to get all "beautified" unlike men...

I have worn a Suit on my last two cruises and have not felt underdressed at all. In fact I would say, at least on the cruises I was on, 80% of the men wore suits.......

That is my husband's point. He doesn't remember seeing many tuxes. Perhaps cruise length and itinerary has something to do with it too. I wonder. Someone should start a poll. lol:)

That is my husband's point. He doesn't remember seeing many tuxes. Perhaps cruise length and itinerary has something to do with it too. I wonder. Someone should start a poll. lol:)

It's all you Ms Honeymoon! I'll answer it! My wife read this and said she would love for me to wear a tux. Isn't going to happen. I don't own one and I'm not wasting my gambling money on renting one :)

Archived