Alaska... Round 2 Wife says we're nuts

We just went on our first cruise to Alaska a month ago and our first cruise ever. My Wife and I were talking about how much we loved Royal Caribbean so.. We booked another Alaskan cruise for next year.. Are we insane? LOL

We just went on our first cruise to Alaska a month ago and our first cruise ever. My Wife and I were talking about how much we loved Royal Caribbean so.. We booked another Alaskan cruise for next year.. Are we insane? LOL

Of course not, you just have to find your nitch and you like Alaska. If you like warm weather in winter, try a Caribbean cruise next time.:)

No, not at all. We did the same thing when we did Alaska. Actually we've taken three Alaskan cruises. Our first two were two summers in a row.

We found all three to be like we were on very different cruises. Did some different excursions. Saw different wildlife and scenery. Really enjoyed all of them!

If you go even one or two different weeks of the month, you'll find differences.

Have a great time!

Errr.... you are posting on the Royal Caribbean forum. OF COURSE you are not insane!! :D:D:D

Just out of curiosity, is Alaska the only itinerary you are excited about? I mean, some people do it every year but personally, we like to mix it up. Are either of the embarkation ports near your home? Are you ruling out flying to another embarkation port? Alaskan cruises can be quite expensive. For this reason, we have only taken two. It is sometimes less expensive to fly to embarkation city (some killer deals available sometimes) and book a less expensive cabin for a Caribbean itinerary. Just some thoughts.

Welcome to cruising!!! :)

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, I now see you are in St. Louis, so not particularly close to Vancouver or Seattle as an Alaska jumping-off point.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

They live in St. Louis which is in Missouri-Almost exactly the "middle" of the USA. ( I grew up in Kansas City,Mo) The closest port would probably be Galveston Tx for RCL, or New Orleans for Carnival-if they drove.So, they probably fly-St. Louis is a major airline hub. I prefer warm weather-so we do Carribean cruises. I lived in Anchorage, Ak. for a year, when I got out of nursing school. I would love to do an Alaska cruise-but the air is so expensive from Savannah,Ga and our son is in college. I don't think you are crazy for going again-you might want to do a different route,though. Do what YOU love! Enjoy-so jealous.:)Melinda

I'll bet your second cruise will be better because you will know what to expect and how to prepare.

We just did Alaska on Radiance and loved it. I'd do it again, but I might take a different ship. Nothing at all against Radiance; I'm curious to know how the other cruise lines operate.

Welcome to the club!!! :)

I have booked the Explorer in Sept 2017 to go to Alaska (last cruise of the season) then stay on to go down the Pacific Coast!

Edited by chermilo

Thought from your title that this was round two with the wife!!!!:D

No, you are not nuts! DH was stationed in Alaska in his active duty days and we go back as often as we can.

We have done many other destinations but, somehow always consider Alaska for "the next one!"

Don't question it. Celebrate that you are able to travel.

Edited by Aboat1

Welcome to the Cruising Addiction group!!

Doesn't take but one cruise to get you hooked. I am a warm weather vacationer so I end up in the Caribbean. I have heard that Alaska is folks favorite destination. Every cruise is different, enjoy.

Welcome to the group.

You are preaching to the choir here.

Some of those that have never cruised may not understand.

We have cruise to Alaska 16 times.

By the end of the 2017 season it will be 20.

You have a long way to go to be considered insane around here.

They live in St. Louis which is in Missouri-Almost exactly the "middle" of the USA. ( I grew up in Kansas City,Mo) The closest port would probably be Galveston Tx for RCL, or New Orleans for Carnival-if they drove.So, they probably fly-St. Louis is a major airline hub. I prefer warm weather-so we do Carribean cruises. I lived in Anchorage, Ak. for a year, when I got out of nursing school. I would love to do an Alaska cruise-but the air is so expensive from Savannah,Ga and our son is in college. I don't think you are crazy for going again-you might want to do a different route,though. Do what YOU love! Enjoy-so jealous.:)Melinda

Melinda: greetings from KCMO. Savannah is one of my favorite places. In fact, I'm wearing my Crab Shack tee today. :D I will be returning in a little over two weeks to accompany my daughter back to school at SCAD. Dawn

Wow- Dawn-small world. We live on Wilmington Island-on the way to the crab shack- Yes,I love it here-except for the sandnats! I do miss Missouri in the fall,though. My favorite time of year. Bet your daughter loves SCAD. My son is at Georgia Southern in Statesboro,Ga- little over an hour from here.

Errr.... you are posting on the Royal Caribbean forum. OF COURSE you are not insane!! :D:D:D

Just out of curiosity, is Alaska the only itinerary you are excited about? I mean, some people do it every year but personally, we like to mix it up. Are either of the embarkation ports near your home? Are you ruling out flying to another embarkation port? Alaskan cruises can be quite expensive. For this reason, we have only taken two. It is sometimes less expensive to fly to embarkation city (some killer deals available sometimes) and book a less expensive cabin for a Caribbean itinerary. Just some thoughts.

Welcome to cruising!!! :)

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, I now see you are in St. Louis, so not particularly close to Vancouver or Seattle as an Alaska jumping-off point.

We are excited about more itenaries. We actually transferred a booking for a 12 night Mediterranean next year because there's no one to watch our dogs. After next year, we are either doing the Caribbean or Europe.. Like I said.. We are hooked lol

Welcome Rick n Wife -

Not insane at all!

We did our first cruise in Feb 2015. Before we even took that cruise we were already booked on another cruise to Norway. And one week before 12 months was up we were in a Haven Suite on our way to Mexico.

Currently booked our 4th for March 2017 (longest 13 months of my life)

Soon to be living in the PNW and can't wait to see Alaska.

Welcome to the club!

-Sean

My parents invited their children/spouses and grandchildren to join them on an Alaskan cruise. My wife, who has never been on a cruise, declined for fear of the ship sinking and/or getting violently seasick. Now THAT'S insane! (So we went on the cruise without her)

Welcome Rick n Wife -

Not insane at all!

We did our first cruise in Feb 2015. Before we even took that cruise we were already booked on another cruise to Norway. And one week before 12 months was up we were in a Haven Suite on our way to Mexico.

Currently booked our 4th for March 2017 (longest 13 months of my life)

Soon to be living in the PNW and can't wait to see Alaska.

Welcome to the club!

-Sean

An early welcome to the PNW. Alaska cruise are rather convenient.