Need advice: TA booked wrong category

Kmcspoon

Meekly I add again at this point, the trip will not be ruined if the only outcome is an ocean view cabin. This is a lovely ship with plenty of public spaces for indoor and outdoor viewing to compensate for any lost private balcony space.

All good things come to those who wait -- either some last minute changes in cabin availability or a fantastic cruise regardless because the destination and itinerary is wonderful.

We usually book a balcony but to make the grand 52 day London to Singapore via Indonesia cruise affordable, we chose an ocean view cabin on the Rotterdam. I don't recall this led to any major compromises in our over all enjoyment of that wonderful cruise. In fact, it got us out and about more on the ship bringing new kinds of delights and pleasures.

I have long held those choosing inside cabins are the most travel savvy of us all. Other than missing those moments of early morning light coming into the cabin, there are few other downsides and plenty of upsides to this thrifty cabin choice option, including being able to do even more cruising.

You are truly a pro at making lemonade out of lemons - even it is sour ;)

I, on the other hand, empathise with the OP. You chose a non balcony cabin, the OP did not. If I had contracted for a balcony and found out I was in an OV, I would not be a happy camper and I don't blame the OP one bit.

I sure hope things work out for them!

You are truly a pro at making lemonade out of lemons - even it is sour ;)

I, on the other hand, empathise with the OP. You chose a non balcony cabin, the OP did not. If I had contracted for a balcony and found out I was in an OV, I would not be a happy camper and I don't blame the OP one bit.

I sure hope things work out for them!

I also empathize with the OP. Please do not misconstrue my continuing sympathy for her TA's up front mishap, when trying to make lemonade later.

But at some point, one has to move on, accept ship happened. Which I hope still includes continuing the cruise regardless. That was the only point of my lemonade comments and relating my own experiences with an ocean view cabin.

Other options do remain on the table, but beating a dead horse at some point hopefully will not be one of them.

Grrrrrr ... okay, we are all mad at her TA. Grrrrr. No question about that.

No better cabins available. TA can do nothing but put me on a waiting list. Very disappointing.

I was talking to my HAL PCC about your situation. You didn't supply exact dates, but it must be the 14-day HK to Yokahama along with the long run Yokahama to Vancouver, totaling like 44 days or something like that (I didn't make the best notes).

There are Vista Suites available on the first 14-day, which he suggested your TA book on a guarantee, then book the best Oceanview available and wait-list for a Vista guarantee, on the balance of your trip. With 8 months until sailing and starting in a Vista, he said he'd bet on you ending up in a Vista for your whole cruise. He said starting in the Vista would greatly increase the likelihood of you getting your Vista for the whole cruise. Those sold-out suites only have deposits on them, and with 5 months until final payment, he felt you'd end up in one.

Post# 33 in this thread, I ment\rioned errors and omissions insurance and think that is a good approach. TA should make a claim aned use trhose redceipts to get you a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite.

Post# 33 in this thread, I ment\rioned errors and omissions insurance and think that is a good approach. TA should make a claim aned use trhose redceipts to get you a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite.

Very good advice Sail and I totally agree with you but it sounds like the OP's TA is pretty much stepping back from any significant fault or corrective action other than putting the OP on a balcony/suite waiting list. I'm not sure how the OP can convince the TA to invoke that insurance option and get them into an upgraded cabin, short of making it clear their future business will be elsewhere (I believe the OP said they would deal directly with HAL in the future). Even that sort of threat might not get the message across unless it were made to the owner/management of the agency. :(

Edited by joepeka

Can you say : LAW suit? :) and local pulicity a bout it

From what I have read herre, it doesn't sound like TA is appologetic, is grasping what a large error he made.V dOESNOT SOUND LIKE HE CAREs alll that mmuch or intends losemuch sleEp

All htis isJMO.

Edited by sail7seas

Can you say : LAW suit? :) and local pulicity a bout it

This would be a small claims type action according to some state limits, and doubt there would be any publicity about it. No pain and suffering damages in contract actions, unless you can show the TA intentionally with malice decided to take it out on this passenger and commit an intentional bait and switch. I don't hear that is what happened; more likely a break down in communications somewhere along the way. Bad form, but probably not malicious intent.

But small claims is an option if one can prove a chain of responsibility was breached and the amount of damages are a sum certain. I imagine somewhere buried in the small print with the TA is plenty of CYA language, just like our final cruise documents if one can actually read them. They can basically dump us on the high seas in event of war or tornado, if we take their exculpatory language literally.

Edited by OlsSalt

Very good advice Sail and I totally agree with you but it sounds like the OP's TA is pretty much stepping back from any significant fault or corrective action other than putting the OP on a balcony/suite waiting list. I'm not sure how the OP can convince the TA to invoke that insurance option and get them into an upgraded cabin, short of making it clear their future business will be elsewhere (I believe the OP said they would deal directly with HAL in the future). Even that sort of threat might not get the message across unless it were made to the owner/management of the agency. :(

Depending on the OP's mind set and assuming the TA's company is on Face Book, all other things failing it's worth a post there complaining. Pretty sure they will get a PM.

If their TA is with IATA (and I think most are), then they can also elevate their complaint. Again,it depends upon what the OP wishes to do.

And, if the TA is authorized to deal with HAL, reporting the ineptitude may lose them the ability to book HAL or make HAL put them first on the wait list ;)

There are all kinds of options without having to do a lawsuit and which actually may be more effective.

JMO and totally up to the OP.

Edited by kazu

I was talking to my HAL PCC about your situation. You didn't supply exact dates, but it must be the 14-day HK to Yokahama along with the long run Yokahama to Vancouver, totaling like 44 days or something like that (I didn't make the best notes).

There are Vista Suites available on the first 14-day, which he suggested your TA book on a guarantee, then book the best Oceanview available and wait-list for a Vista guarantee, on the balance of your trip. With 8 months until sailing and starting in a Vista, he said he'd bet on you ending up in a Vista for your whole cruise. He said starting in the Vista would greatly increase the likelihood of you getting your Vista for the whole cruise. Those sold-out suites only have deposits on them, and with 5 months until final payment, he felt you'd end up in one.

That is lovely to hear. Thank you! I think I've cycled through the "five stages of grief" and am at the final one...acceptance. I believe post number 1 was when I was in the anger stage (rage mode).

I have tried to be civil with the TA in the hopes that his own realization of the error would make him spring into action and make at least a stab at amends.

I did call Holland America directly and told them the issue. They could tell TA had been trying to work something out, perhaps by way of the waiting list.

I must say, I have been very comforted by the kindness of the responders here. I think the brain trust around here is pretty amazing.

I am looking forward to the trip, and will just let things unfold. I am already looking at future cruises! Hope the world will hang in there until I see a lot more of it!

Thanks again to all. I sincerely appreciate each reply. :)

Very good advice Sail and I totally agree with you but it sounds like the OP's TA is pretty much stepping back from any significant fault or corrective action other than putting the OP on a balcony/suite waiting list. I'm not sure how the OP can convince the TA to invoke that insurance option and get them into an upgraded cabin, short of making it clear their future business will be elsewhere

Neither the TA or HAL can put OP in an "upgraded cabin". There are no Vista suites, Neptune suites or Pinnacle suites available. They are all sold out. A waiting list is all the TA can do.

That is lovely to hear. Thank you! I think I've cycled through the "five stages of grief" and am at the final one...acceptance. I believe post number 1 was when I was in the anger stage (rage mode).

I have tried to be civil with the TA in the hopes that his own realization of the error would make him spring into action and make at least a stab at amends.

I did call Holland America directly and told them the issue. They could tell TA had been trying to work something out, perhaps by way of the waiting list.

I must say, I have been very comforted by the kindness of the responders here. I think the brain trust around here is pretty amazing.

I am looking forward to the trip, and will just let things unfold. I am already looking at future cruises! Hope the world will hang in there until I see a lot more of it!

Thanks again to all. I sincerely appreciate each reply. :)

You are the first HAL passenger to be granted honorary 10 star status, and you have not even left port. Your can-do attitude is terrific. Good things will happen. We just know it. :D

You are the first HAL passenger to be granted honorary 10 star status, and you have not even left port. Your can-do attitude is terrific. Good things will happen. We just know it. :D

Agree with OlsSalt OP ... and very confident that somebody will cancel before final payment is due.

Hope you get that cabin. You deserve it.:)

Cheers!