Need advice: TA booked wrong category

Kmcspoon

I hope that you get what you want. Personally, I would cancel the cruise if I could not get a cabin with a verandah. Luckily you have time and in my experience after 30 HAL cruises, you will get a Vista suite. However, if this mistake were made by a TA after the deadline, I would insist that the TA reimburse me for whatever I lost on the cancellation. Good luck

ver

I'd have a lot of trouble making lemonade out of this situation!

Am I correct that you just found out and haven't talked to the TA yet? If so, start there and see what he/she says. Are there any Neptunes available? For an error this egregious, the TA should offer that if there's no way to get you into a Vista.

I agree with the suggestion that the TA should spring for the difference in price to secure you a Neptune Suite. The TA made the mistake, let the TA fix it. You could even agree that if the TA stays on top of things and finds a suitable Vista cabin, you will take what you originally asked for, at the same price (or lower). That gives the TA motivation to keep checking to find a Vista when one becomes available. Give the TA a list, in order, of acceptable Vista cabins.

By the way, if the outside cabin that is booked is on what you refer to as Deck 2, that's Main Deck. I can't conceive what would be a "semi-obstructed" cabin on that deck. It makes no sense to me at all. There are a few one deck up on Lower Promenade that are termed "partial obstructed".

Good luck, and let us all know the outcome. However this works out, it's a fabulous cruise. I took the Volendam from Hong Kong to Kobe, continuing to Vancouver, a little over a year ago. Had a great time.

By the way, if the outside cabin that is booked is on what you refer to as Deck 2, that's Main Deck. I can't conceive what would be a "semi-obstructed" cabin on that deck. It makes no sense to me at all. There are a few one deck up on Lower Promenade that are termed "partial obstructed".

It is a category DD on deck 2, aft. The description on Cruise Critic deck plan says this category has "partial sea views", which upon reading, I could almost feel my soul lift out of my body.

But it is a cruise. It is going where I want to go. As of today, no Neptune available, but the suggestion was brilliant.

Let's see what Monday brings. I'm feeling a bit better that many have commented a balcony may come available. It is a unique itinerary, at least as far as I can tell, and it seemed to book up quickly.

It is a category DD on deck 2, aft. The description on Cruise Critic deck plan says this category has "partial sea views", which upon reading, I could almost feel my soul lift out of my body.

More important, what does the HAL deck plan say?

There is nothing outside on Main Deck to block a view. If worse comes to worse, that is, and you don't get a balcony cabin.

Which there should be one available by the time you will need it.

More important, what does the HAL deck plan say?

There is nothing outside on Main Deck to block a view. If worse comes to worse, that is, and you don't get a balcony cabin.

Which there should be one available by the time you will need it.

Good catch! I am such a newbie with the Holland America website, I really didn't see the Volendam deck plan, or really any ship's deck plan readily viewable. I finally found one going by going around the mulberry bush.

You are right, it is just listed as a Large Ocean view. Nothing about partial obstruction. I've had ocean views before on lower decks...it is sort of neat to see the ocean that close! But, I still want a balcony! Ack. Sounding spoiled to my own ears.

It is quite helpful to hear your perspective on the ship. Sounds like you know your way around it. Thank you!

Shall report on what TA says Monday. I've made mistakes before, but I wonder how he felt when he compared my email to what he actually did. Eh!

Good catch! I am such a newbie with the Holland America website, I really didn't see the Volendam deck plan, or really any ship's deck plan readily viewable. I finally found one going by going around the mulberry bush.

You are right, it is just listed as a Large Ocean view. Nothing about partial obstruction. I've had ocean views before on lower decks...it is sort of neat to see the ocean that close! But, I still want a balcony! Ack. Sounding spoiled to my own ears.

It is quite helpful to hear your perspective on the ship. Sounds like you know your way around it. Thank you!

Shall report on what TA says Monday. I've made mistakes before, but I wonder how he felt when he compared my email to what he actually did. Eh!

I second what RuthC said and dn't believe there are no Neptunes. they are probably on other segments.

Go nice but firm to the TA and determined.

I wish you all the success in the world and I think the TA has to do something.

You put your trust in them and they didn't do right. They either have to fix it or make it right.

Sending best wishes to you.

I'm very familiar with the lower decks on all the ships. ;) I've been known to skulk around a time or two. :D

Looking forward to your report. Good luck!

This is a monumental error. Your TAneeds trro make a claim to theagenchy's error aed omissions insurance and make youhis ciareer until he gets you the cabin categoryyou want. e should spend every working day calling, talking... begging on your behalf

Edited by sail7seas

I've looked at all the different segment combos and there are multiple ways to book the entire voyage - three b2b cruises (3/28 14nts, 4/11 14nts and 4/25 16nts) or two different 2 cruise combos (3/28 14nt plus 4/11 30nt OR 3/28 28nt plus 4/25 16nt).

Option 1 - three b2b bookings:

The 3/28 14nt segment has vista suites available - (A, AA, B, BB)

The 4/11 14nt segment is waitlisted for all categories

The 4/25 16nt segment has vista suites available (A, AA, B, BB)

Option 2 - 3/28 14nt plus 4/11 30nt:

The 3/28 14nt segment has vista suites available (A, AA, B, BB)

The 4/11 30nt segment is waitlisted for all categories except interior

Option 3 - 3/28 28nt plus 4/25 16nt

The 3/28 28nt segment is waitlisted for all category except interior

The 4/25 16nt segment has vista suites available (A, AA, B, BB)

The problem seems to stem from the middle segment - 4/11 for 14nts roundtrip from Yokohama. I would have the TA confirm the appropriate vista suites (hopefully same room #'s) for segment 1 & 3 and then waitlist the middle segment for the same vista suite category, or multiple categories if they will allow. You cannot request (to my knowledge) a specific cabin # but a waitlist should be possible at this point as all vista suites are showing a "W" next to availability, rather than a "C" for closed.

Hope this helps a bit!!!!:D

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

The best thing travel agent can do is contact his HAL rep and ask for their assistance in obtaining a cabin. Other than being wait listed this is how it works. I would give him the cabin numbers that are not assigned so HAL rep,has something to go by. I have been an agent many years and that is what I would do.

Also if you are on another ship and want to book if same line do so on ship, goes back to agent and you may get additional perks.

I've looked at all the different segment combos and there are multiple ways to book the entire voyage - three b2b cruises (3/28 14nts, 4/11 14nts and 4/25 16nts) or two different 2 cruise combos (3/28 14nt plus 4/11 30nt OR 3/28 28nt plus 4/25 16nt).

Hope this helps a bit!!!!:D

This is tremendously helpful, Atlanta cruiser!! We are booked on option 3, the 28 night plus the 14 night. This seems to be the problem, because just a portion of it, as you pointed out, is that critical 14 day segment. Of course, that is just exactly the time apparently everyone wants balconies, for the this very scenic portion of the trip!

Thanks for the in-depth look...that gives me a lot of ammo for tomorrows "TALK" with TA. I've switched cabins mid-cruise, and though it isn't ideal, I'd probably consider it. This helps me know what it would look like if I decide to go for it.

When I booked initially, I was "able" (or so I thought) to get one cabin on the B2B plus one interior for family members for the 44 days.

I must say, I'm quite impressed with the HAL forum. Very nice and helpful replies. Thank you again!!! I can't wait to get past the cabin problem and get on to the planning and meeting nice traveling companions.

Now let's start talking about the timing of the cherry blossoms up and down Japan. Maybe you have some wiggle room if this timing is driving your cruise choice. Here is their report from last year: Spring 2016.

Japan Travel site: The cherry blossom blossom season has ended in most of Japan. Due to above-average temperatures, the 2016 season took place several days earlier than average except in some areas of Kyushu and Shikoku where it followed a relatively average pace. Northern Japan saw a particularly early season, with some cities enjoying the seasonal delight up to ten days earlier than average.

This is an interesting link about the 10 year blossom season trends. https://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

We hit in Kobe and points south exactly right in very early April on our Volendam cruise two years ago. That pretty much matches their Osaka report - late March/early April. But some days it rained and all the blossoms got sloppy on the ground under an exquisite long archway - at the Kamikaze Memorial Museum site which was a very haunting juxtaposition of beauty and death.

Edited by OlsSalt

Now let's start talking about the timing of the cherry blossoms up and down Japan. Maybe you have some wiggle room if this timing is driving your cruise choice. Here is their report from last year: Spring 2016.

Japan Travel site: The cherry blossom blossom season has ended in most of Japan. Due to above-average temperatures, the 2016 season took place several days earlier than average except in some areas of Kyushu and Shikoku where it followed a relatively average pace. Northern Japan saw a particularly early season, with some cities enjoying the seasonal delight up to ten days earlier than average.

This is an interesting link about the 10 year blossom season trends. https://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

We hit in Kobe and points south exactly right in very early April on our Volendam cruise two years ago. That pretty much matches their Osaka report - late March/early April. But some days it rained and all the blossoms got sloppy on the ground under an exquisite long archway - at the Kamikaze Memorial Museum site which was a very haunting juxtaposition of beauty and death.

Excellent post. Thank you. Following this guideline and the proposed itinerary helps me adjust my expectations. I know Hong Kong/China/Japan will be beautiful any time I visit. This gives me a bit more freedom to adjust my itinerary if needed.

My usually very reliable Travel Agent accidentally booked us in an ocean view instead of a Vista Suite on our upcoming trip. By the time I realized what had happened, all the balcony rooms were sold out. When we booked, we had six to choose from, now they are all gone!

We are on the Volendam in March, 2017 from Hong Kong to Vancouver.

The ocean view we are in is called semi-obstructed and is on deck 2.

My question is, what is the best way to get on a waiting list. Is there known travel agencies that book blocks of rooms on Holland America that anyone can recommend and see if they are holding a balcony?

I could book directly with Holland America, I suppose. I'm sure they would fill their waiting list first when it gets closer to final payment date.

I normally am not this picky, but we truly wanted to have a balcony for this particular cruise, and I even picked out the side and room number! It was a hard hit when I checked my booking online and saw the error.

This is a unique itinerary and it is for a very special occasion. However, Volendam is small, and this particular cruise booked up very early.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Kmcspoon

Your TA should have some sort of "errors and omissions" insurance coverage to protect themselves. I'd be on the TA to make it right, even if it meant putting you in a Neptune!

My usually very reliable Travel Agent accidentally booked us in an ocean view instead of a Vista Suite on our upcoming trip. By the time I realized what had happened, all the balcony rooms were sold out. When we booked, we had six to choose from, now they are all gone!

We are on the Volendam in March, 2017 from Hong Kong to Vancouver.

The ocean view we are in is called semi-obstructed and is on deck 2.

My question is, what is the best way to get on a waiting list. Is there known travel agencies that book blocks of rooms on Holland America that anyone can recommend and see if they are holding a balcony?

I could book directly with Holland America, I suppose. I'm sure they would fill their waiting list first when it gets closer to final payment date.

I normally am not this picky, but we truly wanted to have a balcony for this particular cruise, and I even picked out the side and room number! It was a hard hit when I checked my booking online and saw the error.

This is a unique itinerary and it is for a very special occasion. However, Volendam is small, and this particular cruise booked up very early.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Kmcspoon

Your TA should have some sort of "errors and omissions" insurance coverage to protect themselves. I'd be on the TA to make it right, even if it meant putting you in a Neptune!

We are having a problem too with the itineraries as we want to be land based in Japan early April. So we are on the March 14 Yokohama to Hong Kong than flying back to Japan. We seem to be the only ones on CC on that cruise. Sadly HAL redeployed our cruise but with my flights already booked and the timing of the cruise leaves us little choice.

I am curious, do people really think a Neptune upgrade is a real possibility from a balcony? I would have thought that cost prohibitive.

I am curious, do people really think a Neptune upgrade is a real possibility from a balcony? I would have thought that cost prohibitive.

If I had a TA dump on me like the OP's did, I guarantee you they'd be moving up the category list until they found an available cabin for me! It should be the TA's problem, not the OP's.

This is another example of why I work with a HAL PCC to land on a cruise, book it through him, then he transfers the booking to my TA before final payment date for their perks. We've never had a glitch.

If I had a TA dump on me like the OP's did, I guarantee you they'd be moving up the category list until they found an available cabin for me! It should be the TA's problem, not the OP's.

This is another example of why I work with a HAL PCC to land on a cruise, book it through him, then he transfers the booking to my TA before final payment date for their perks. We've never had a glitch.

See post #34. There are no cabins to move you up. Everything is sold out.

No better cabins available. TA can do nothing but put me on a waiting list. Very disappointing.

I've looked at the reverse route on Voldendam in September, and also an October cruise on Amsterdam. Cabins only available a portion of the reverse Volendam, and the Amsterdam was a whole lot more expensive for less days.

I have booked in the past with this TA:

2 cabins 40 day trip 2015

4 cabins 30 day trip 2016

2 cabins 44 days (April Volendam) 2017

He has offered no concessions. Nothing!

So...I'll probably try to go directly with Holland America so I can handle checking on the rooms frequently on my own. I think this guy is going too fast, dropped the ball and has no tools in his toolbox to make things right. I noticed he didn't acknowledge his mistake, even though our email paper trail has my authorization to book the balcony on his replies. Perhaps he has learned not to put an apology in writing?

TA may change tune when he realizes I'm moving on. Tough spot for him there is nothing else available.

However, if someone wants to PM me a good TA or a travel agency that works well with Holland America, I'd be open to that.

Thank you so very much for all the input. I'm enjoying the Holland America board very much so far. Very helpful.

Is your TA the owner of the agency? If not, call and ask to speak to a supervisor and explain what has happened. Tell them of the cruises you've booked through the agency in the past and that you are considering transferring your preset booking directly to HAL because of the huge problem you've encountered with their agency.

If you haven't made final payment, you should be able to cancel without penalty, then call HAL and ask to be speak to a PCC and make your booking through them, asking to be waitlisted for a balcony cabin. Good luck to you!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Is your TA the owner of the agency? If not, call and ask to speak to a supervisor and explain what has happened. Tell them of the cruises you've booked through the agency in the past and that you are considering transferring your preset booking directly to HAL because of the huge problem you've encountered with their agency.

If you haven't made final payment, you should be able to cancel without penalty, then call HAL and ask to be speak to a PCC and make your booking through them, asking to be waitlisted for a balcony cabin. Good luck to you!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Try doing an internet search with the ship name and the sailing date. Maybe there's an online TA holding a block of cabins. It's a long shot, considering the way HAL does the overlapping segments. But it might be worth a try.

Kmcspoon...Unfortunately no one on this board is permitted to recommend a Travel Agent & it is not in your best interest to ask for a PM either.. Asking for & recommending TA's can get our posting privileges revoked..

However, the two posters above gave you good suggestions.. Don't accept this as impossible.. If your TA works for a large Agency let his/her Owner or Manager know what poor service you have received..

In your original post you said you picked out the actual cabin Number you wanted booked.. Do you have copies of these e-mails stating that cabin Number, which was not booked? Did you ask him/her why they did not follow your instructions & book that specific cabin?

Try to be firm (but not nasty-;)) with your travel agent & tell him you will never give him business again unless he comes through.. Let them know how upset you are.. I know I would be livid if our TA ignored our requests..You can also ask for OBC to help make up for his ineptitude..

You could even ask HAL to transfer your booking to another TA, but that is very hard to do without cancelling & rebooking..

Good luck & hope you are able to get some satisfaction..Please let us know how you make out..

Meekly I add again at this point, the trip will not be ruined if the only outcome is an ocean view cabin. This is a lovely ship with plenty of public spaces for indoor and outdoor viewing to compensate for any lost private balcony space.

All good things come to those who wait -- either some last minute changes in cabin availability or a fantastic cruise regardless because the destination and itinerary is wonderful.

We usually book a balcony but to make the grand 52 day London to Singapore via Indonesia cruise affordable, we chose an ocean view cabin on the Rotterdam. I don't recall this led to any major compromises in our over all enjoyment of that wonderful cruise. In fact, it got us out and about more on the ship bringing new kinds of delights and pleasures.

I have long held those choosing inside cabins are the most travel savvy of us all. Other than missing those moments of early morning light coming into the cabin, there are few other downsides and plenty of upsides to this thrifty cabin choice option, including being able to do even more cruising.

Kmcspoon...Unfortunately no one on this board is permitted to recommend a Travel Agent & it is not in your best interest to ask for a PM either.. Asking for & recommending TA's can get our posting privileges revoked..

Immediate apologies for making the request, and if an admin needs to delete this post or thread, I will agree and certainly understand, and won't do it again.

Yes, I had six cabins to chose from, and picked the only one on the port side, named the exact number and gave specific instructions to book and not to let it get away. I have the paperwork in email threads. I did this online instead of on the phone, as I mentioned before, because we were just entering the Suez Canal, and made the decision to take the 2017 trip and wanted a balcony because we were enjoying the balcony so much on that cruise.

I'm now just trying to find another cruise that goes to the same locations. I'll cancel this one and maybe try next year.

Thanks for all the kind replies. I probably overshared in my frustration. It will all work out for the best.

We love cruising, and each time we want longer and longer cruises! As I mentioned before, trying Holland America has been on my husband's bucket list, and I've been enjoying looking at the different ship and destinations. I am amazed at reading the threads, how loyal the members are to to line, from what I can tell.

...... because we were just entering the Suez Canal, and made the decision to take the 2017 trip and wanted a balcony because we were enjoying the balcony so much on that cruise.

It was on the Rotterdam in our ocean view cabin that also went through the Suez Canal. This did require me getting up at 2 am to go out on deck to see our entrance to the ships gathering queue before we proceeded forward down the canal at 5 am.

I went up to the Crows Nest for the full front view and the ship was totally empty and alone at that hour. Was that ever a strange feeling.

Going outdoors, the night air was hot and mystic lights shined on shore, while strange goings on were taking place on the forward deck hauling a small craft and some noisy locals onboard - later learning they were selling "expensive" souvenirs to the crew.

It was all haunting and exotic and I was happy I could move to all sides of the ship during those wee hours. One of the surprise benefits of not just viewing it from a single side cabin verandah, as cozy and private as that would have been.