What is it like to do a TA in Winter?

Greyt Mom

Thanks for your message and all your best wishes, Pepper. :D We are also on the crossing from NYC to Southampton Oct. 25, the Blue Note Jazz crossing. Since we are big time jazz fans, this will be great fun. I may have so much fun with the music that I will not find the time to lose money at the black jack tables! Not likely, but I think that is my DH's not-so-secret hope. And then we arrive in Europe for about 6 week of touring before we board the QM2 for the rock 'n' roll crossing on Dec. 15. Are you on the Oct. 25 crossing? Someday we will cross paths, I am sure. Happy sailing!:)

Thanks for your message and all your best wishes, Pepper. :D We are also on the crossing from NYC to Southampton Oct. 25, the Blue Note Jazz crossing. Since we are big time jazz fans, this will be great fun. I may have so much fun with the music that I will not find the time to lose money at the black jack tables! Not likely, but I think that is my DH's not-so-secret hope. And then we arrive in Europe for about 6 week of touring before we board the QM2 for the rock 'n' roll crossing on Dec. 15. Are you on the Oct. 25 crossing? Someday we will cross paths, I am sure. Happy sailing!:)
Hi tv24,

I do sincerely hope that both your crossings, and your time in Europe, are marvelous, and leave you with some wonderful memories (and the gods of the Black Jack table look your way ;) ).

I'm on the November 26th QM2 Caribbean Cruise from New York, returning to New York December 8th (flying across the pond in both directions. Sadly I can't spend a month away from the UK).

I also truly hope our paths will cross on board QM2 one day, the first drink in the Commodore Club is on me :) .

Have the most fantastic time on board in October and December!

Edited by pepperrn

Hi tv24,

I do sincerely hope that both your crossings, and your time in Europe, are marvelous, and leave you with some wonderful memories (and the gods of the Black Jack table look your way ;) ).

I'm on the November 26th QM2 Caribbean Cruise from New York, returning to New York December 8th (flying across the pond in both directions. Sadly I can't spend a month away from the UK).

I also truly hope our paths will cross on board QM2 one day, the first drink in the Commodore Club is on me :) .

Have the most fantastic time on board in October and December!

Good Morning Pepper,

And I wish you a terrific cruise to and from the Caribbean. I know you will have a great time. And I look forward to sharing drinks and travel stories with you in the Commodore Club. Happy sailing!

I did my first crossing Thanksgiving 2014 (eastbound). It was extraordinarily cold in NYC and was uncomfortable standing out on deck for the sailaway.

However, the next morning was sunny and quite comfortable - mid 50's.

Most days it was fine to walk out on deck with a basic jacket although one morning there was some icing on the shady side of the ship. I was on the starboard side to get the sun and most afternoons were quite warm in the cabin.

I really enjoyed the weather variations and I also enjoy colder weather in general, so it was fine. Probably the only thing you couldn't do was sit outside by the pool although there was a brave woman who did use the hot tub

An earlier poster, in the UK, rightly pointed out that from that perspective , Port out Starboard home yields the sunniest position, which is optimal for a North Atlantic voyage.

Living in New York, the reverse is true.

The idea is to book a stateroom with what is an approximate southerly exposure. Out and Home are relative terms.

It's great advice. We had guarantees for our sailings and got it right for one leg,

My first crossing was December 15, 2004 on the QE2 and we had all sorts of weather (though not much sun!). We had very rough weather the second and third days but rather smooth after that. I've done a few winter crossings since then and as others have said on this thread, you can have sunny weather and placid seas or sleet and rain with a lot of pitching and everything in between. Personally, I love it. That said, if you're with anyone who's prone to seasickness you wouldn't want there to be too many rough days, as it's not much fun being in your cabin and not being able to enjoy all the ship has to offer. I'm about to go on my ninth crossing, so obviously that first rough one wasn't a deterrent!

Hi,

I did a WB crossing on the QM2 in early November 2014 and had a wonderful time. The weather varied during the crossing and some days were fairly rough with high winds (the upper open decks were closed a couple of days because of the high winds). On this crossing, I had a sheltered balcony on Deck 6. The sheltered balcony was nice because it was fairly protected from the wind. However, I recommend that you bring a fairly heavy (rain resistant) coat.

Chuck

Thank you all! StI'll not sure about inside with atrium view or oceaview but am looking forward to the variety of weather...and fewer kids! Might even save enough to do a return trip instead of flying!

As far as I can tell, most people who have had atrium view cabins (my wife and I among them), haven't found them to be worth the extra money. There isn't much to see except your neighbors on the other side of the atrium, which is why the shades in these cabins are usually drawn.

Whatever you do, I hope that you save enough to sail both ways. You won't regret it!

We like the sheltered balconies because if the decks are closed one can at least get a bit of fresh air even when regular balcony doors are difficult to open because of strong wind.

As for items that you "wished you thought of"....make sure any ladies in your party have a pair of flat shoes to wear for any evenings that the ship starts to rock and roll.

Enjoy your crossing!