Husband is now a cruise ship snob! Doesn't want to do 5 day Majesty.

oldmom

Whilst any cruise is still a good time to me, I think if you only have so much time and so much budget, it's better to go on one that really really appeals to you. I know I'd rather save a bit more and wait a bit longer to get one I was really excited about. I would think it would be hard to go from Oasis class to Majesty if you're someone for whom the ship and cabins are really important.

If the option was majesty or no cruise at all (or is someone else was paying the bill...) I'd be on her in a heartbeat still though :D

From where we live it's more about the air fare. We'd love to try the smaller ships if they could extend the sailings to at least 7 days. I wish RCL would experiment with some special 7, 10, or 14 day Caribbean/Panama Canal cruises on the Majesty or Empress.

If I lived that close to a port, I would jump at a chance for a 4-5 day getaway cruise, regardless of the ship.:)

For me, it's not the ship size that's the problem, it's the cruise length. B/c we have to fly, we no longer take any cruises shorter than 7 nights.

I agree on the length of the cruise, and I may be a snob as well. Wife keeps suggesting that we could cruise w/o a balcony. For me, that is a huge part of my cruise vacation.

Has anyone here had their spouse turn into a cruise ship snob? Saw the 5 day cruise in Jan. 2018 on Majesty for a great price! We even live about 4-4 1/2 hours away from Port canaveral-so short drive. We just got off Oasis in May ( our second time) we are going in December 2016 on Freedom (my third time-his second). We have mainly done Voyager type years ago -and the Freedom classes , Oasis classes in the last 10-12 years-except for a short Bahamas cruise-Sovereign-maybe 6-7 years ago. He thinks the Majesty would " be a let down after Oasis! I agree that the ship can not compare to the larger ships- but it is still a cruise ! Anyone else had this problem after going on "nicer ship" cruises:(.

From another midwesterner, not us! Look at my signature, we have done Majesty 3 times, soon to be 4 (pretty good for non-southerner) on her with almost every size ship in between. Following the, a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work philosophy its good to just get away sometimes.

From where we live it's more about the air fare. We'd love to try the smaller ships if they could extend the sailings to at least 7 days. I wish RCL would experiment with some special 7, 10, or 14 day Caribbean/Panama Canal cruises on the Majesty or Empress.

If I lived that close to a port, I would jump at a chance for a 4-5 day getaway cruise, regardless of the ship.:)

Empress 7 Days 11/21, 12/8 & 12/27,& 8 day on 12/18 Edited by FLACRUISER99

Thanks for a good chuckle this morning. There is nothing small about the Majesty, compared to what the Azamara fleet consists of. We love the Sovereign class ships. And yes, the staterooms are small, including the Royal Suite, which is smaller than an OS on a Radiance class and up.

The crew makes up for anything missing on the Majesty. Even though we will be on the Allure for the first time since her pre inaugural, I, for one, am not that excited about the mega size ships.

Everyone cruises for different reasons, ours is to enjoy the ocean, and relaxation that being on the water brings.

Granted that the Majesty does not have all of the bells and whistles that other classes bring, but to us, it really does not matter, as long as we are on a cruise!:D

Rick

Thanks for a good chuckle this morning. There is nothing small about the Majesty, compared to what the Azamara fleet consists of. We love the Sovereign class ships. And yes, the staterooms are small, including the Royal Suite, which is smaller than an OS on a Radiance class and up.

The crew makes up for anything missing on the Majesty. Even though we will be on the Allure for the first time since her pre inaugural, I, for one, am not that excited about the mega size ships.

Everyone cruises for different reasons, ours is to enjoy the ocean, and relaxation that being on the water brings.

Granted that the Majesty does not have all of the bells and whistles that other classes bring, but to us, it really does not matter, as long as we are on a cruise!:D

Rick

Sent from my iPad using ForumsVery well said

Edited by TexCruise371

Rick

Agree 100% Rick. We sail Monday for our 5th Majesty cruise. She was our first cruise in 1994 when she was still the newest ship in the fleet and the largest along with the Sovereign and Monarch. At the time some people complained about these "mega ships" as being too big and not having the ambiance and coziness of the older ships. The small cabins do not bother us but we do enjoy the abundance of balcony cabins on the newer ships. That said, we would book a seven night cruise on the Majesty in a heart beat. To us it is about being at sea and the extra gizmos are not a necessity for us. However, to each his own. That is why there are so many flavors of ice cream at the grocery store. :)

Agree 100% Rick. We sail Monday for our 5th Majesty cruise. She was our first cruise in 1994 when she was still the newest ship in the fleet and the largest along with the Sovereign and Monarch. At the time some people complained about these "mega ships" as being too big and not having the ambiance and coziness of the older ships. The small cabins do not bother us but we do enjoy the abundance of balcony cabins on the newer ships. That said, we would book a seven night cruise on the Majesty in a heart beat. To us it is about being at sea and the extra gizmos are not a necessity for us. However, to each his own. That is why there are so many flavors of ice cream at the grocery store. :)

Wow! Majesty was once considered a mega ship???

Has anyone here had their spouse turn into a cruise ship snob? Saw the 5 day cruise in Jan. 2018 on Majesty for a great price! We even live about 4-4 1/2 hours away from Port canaveral-so short drive. We just got off Oasis in May ( our second time) we are going in December 2016 on Freedom (my third time-his second). We have mainly done Voyager type years ago -and the Freedom classes , Oasis classes in the last 10-12 years-except for a short Bahamas cruise-Sovereign-maybe 6-7 years ago. He thinks the Majesty would " be a let down after Oasis! I agree that the ship can not compare to the larger ships- but it is still a cruise ! Anyone else had this problem after going on "nicer ship" cruises:(.

Yes after doing the Allure in 2011 we did the Carnival Miracle later that year because it was sailing from NYC (we live in Queens) and we wanted to go to Bermuda again. It is an older smaller ship and it was kind of a let down after being on the Allure. I don't think we can do the older, smaller ships with less to do on the ship anymore after being on the Allure, Oasis and NCL Breakaway in recent years

Wow! Majesty was once considered a mega ship???

Absolutely. Prior to the RCCL Sovereign class ships most cruise ships were in the 18,000 to 35,000 gross ton range. RCI's largest ship, the Song of America was 37,584 GT. At 73,192-73,941 GT the Sovereign class ships (Sovereign 1988, Monarch 1991, and Majesty 1992) were more than double the size and were the largest cruise ships afloat. Carnival followed suit with the Fantasy class at around 70,000 GT in 1990. The Sovereign class ships revolutionized cruise ship building with the first 5 story atrium, huge pool deck (for the time), and two decks of balcony cabins. It was 1995 before a ship larger than the Sovereign class ships was built.

I have cruised for about 25 years on all size ships. I too look for the "deals". I really like 7 days or longer but have done quite a few 5 day cruises over the years. I have cruised small to mega large. Really I find I like the smaller ships. The larger ones just have too many people and I always find that at least some point in the cruise "the number of people" becomes a problem. Shows that fill up too fast, too many children running around unsupervised, HAVING to walk from one end to the other of the ship to get to something I want to do, too hard to get into the restaurants I want, having to stand too long in lines for most things, etc. Just my opinion but I like the smaller ships. However, I would go on the cruise without him.....get a girlfriend to go with you and have a blast. Then tell him all that he missed, lol.

...two decks of balcony cabins. ....

Only deck 10 has balcony staterooms, and I believe those were retrofitted onto Sovereign which had no balconies when it was initially built. I also remember 9028 on Sovereign which had balcony but was classified as an OV.