ADVENTURE/ABC's Aug 20-27,2016 REVIEW w/lots of photos

I do not consider myself a foodie in any way. .....

Oh, I enjoyed your tour around the island, too! Wouldn't mind following that same route. :cool:

I'm so not a foodie either, but Barefoot was worth every penny to me. I suspect the evening catamaran dinner sail was worth it too... that was an RCL offering, you could book private on-line as well. Likely not as formal as Barefoot as you're eating seated on a catamaran, but that type of casual dinner with the sunset on the ocean would likely be awesome also. I think the catamaran dinner was $69 or $79 per person, so same overall cost as Barefoot.

And regarding your route... do it better than me, find more great stuff that I didn't see, and post it here so I can learn how to do it better! :D:D:D

I wish they would get the lighthouse re-opened. I love climbing them.

Agreed... I'm 0 for 2. First time I was there that gate was closed and they did have some open times posted, we just couldn't wait around and/or come back a couple of hours later as we were headed to the opposite side of the island.

I guess it'll be a goal for me the next time I go back :D

I'm so not a foodie either, but Barefoot was worth every penny to me. I suspect the evening catamaran dinner sail was worth it too... that was an RCL offering, you could book private on-line as well. Likely not as formal as Barefoot as you're eating seated on a catamaran, but that type of casual dinner with the sunset on the ocean would likely be awesome also. I think the catamaran dinner was $69 or $79 per person, so same overall cost as Barefoot.

And regarding your route... do it better than me, find more great stuff that I didn't see, and post it here so I can learn how to do it better! :D:D:D

That's going to be quite the task trying to top what you did! I think I'd better start by learning to drive a 4 wheel drive so I don't get stuck in the sand! :eek:

The catamaran dinner sounds like a good idea. Now I have plans for 2 nights in Aruba! :cool:

hi , enjoying your review, i will like your opinion on the ship ,conditions ,food on main dining and wind jamer, shows etc. thenks

Ship: I am biased... Voyager Class was my first love and will always have a place in my heart. The ship will change in 2 months in drydock with more restaurant options and a better sports deck incl Florider... it will lose the current Jester's nightclub, will lose current deck 12 walking/jogging area out front. There will also be more cabins and thus, more people (crowding maybe as I discovered on Navigator). I love this ship, it's size, the pool deck.... just enough size to make it "big" yet still 'small' enough that you can get around super easily, very easy to navigate this ship from bow to stern

Food in main: I am not picky, gf is picky and is a foodie.... MDR was better than average I am happy to report. Her lamb on the last night was fabulous! My seafood & mash was not... hit or miss depending what you order on any given night I guess. Overall better than average.

Windjammer: breakfast average, same as most ships.Only did lunch twice, lots of choices. Dinner only once (Indian night) and was my favorite meal of the cruise.

Giovanni's: You didn't ask.... best quality dinner by far, normally is and usually much better than most main dining dinners. Ate there twice, totally different meals both times and could have easily done a third. In my humble opinion, most specialty restaurants have been well worth the upcharge for almost always outstanding dinners.

Shows: headliners were excellent, but they rotate every 2 weeks so you never know who you will get. Singers and dancers were good (not great). Ice show was good (not great), but I have been blessed with absolutely flawless and spectacular ice shows the last couple of times so I am comparing to that. The game shows/parades/events with CD Dan and activity staff were fantastic! Lots of fun. And that of course also depends on your fellow cruisers and if they want to have fun as well.

Overall an excellent ship. I do a full ratings at the end of all my reviews and will do so when I finish this one as well, which will include all of the above :)

This is a great trip report with fantastic pictures! looking forward to reading more.

Sorry for the delay folks... huge & very long work day yesterday so no installment to this review.... even on my B-Day!!! :D

Celebrating Bday today so heading out soon to take photos/video for final Radiance sailing out of Vancouver (she's heading to Hawaii) which I will post on their roll call... then dinner/dancing/etc. Will try to finish Curacao and final day over the weekend.

Until then.... :D

Ship: I am biased... Voyager Class was my first love and will always have a place in my heart. The ship will change in 2 months in drydock with more restaurant options and a better sports deck incl Florider... it will lose the current Jester's nightclub, will lose current deck 12 walking/jogging area out front. There will also be more cabins and thus, more people (crowding maybe as I discovered on Navigator). I love this ship, it's size, the pool deck.... just enough size to make it "big" yet still 'small' enough that you can get around super easily, very easy to navigate this ship from bow to stern

Food in main: I am not picky, gf is picky and is a foodie.... MDR was better than average I am happy to report. Her lamb on the last night was fabulous! My seafood & mash was not... hit or miss depending what you order on any given night I guess. Overall better than average.

Windjammer: breakfast average, same as most ships.Only did lunch twice, lots of choices. Dinner only once (Indian night) and was my favorite meal of the cruise.

Giovanni's: You didn't ask.... best quality dinner by far, normally is and usually much better than most main dining dinners. Ate there twice, totally different meals both times and could have easily done a third. In my humble opinion, most specialty restaurants have been well worth the upcharge for almost always outstanding dinners.

Shows: headliners were excellent, but they rotate every 2 weeks so you never know who you will get. Singers and dancers were good (not great). Ice show was good (not great), but I have been blessed with absolutely flawless and spectacular ice shows the last couple of times so I am comparing to that. The game shows/parades/events with CD Dan and activity staff were fantastic! Lots of fun. And that of course also depends on your fellow cruisers and if they want to have fun as well.

Overall an excellent ship. I do a full ratings at the end of all my reviews and will do so when I finish this one as well, which will include all of the above :)

thanks , havent been on the adventure for about 5 years ,just woried about wear and tear and fwee friend s that went recently told food was not so good

Sorry for the delay folks... huge & very long work day yesterday so no installment to this review.... even on my B-Day!!! :D

Celebrating Bday today so heading out soon to take photos/video for final Radiance sailing out of Vancouver (she's heading to Hawaii) which I will post on their roll call... then dinner/dancing/etc. Will try to finish Curacao and final day over the weekend.

happy b day to you

My family has booked with Woodwind for the afternoon when in Bonaire for our March cruise. Any suggestions on what to do for the AM? We'd like to maximize our time in Bonaire as its our first time. Thanks!

Also check the port of call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Hoopster95! :cool:

We did Woodwind for the second time this past January and it was even better than the first time.:)

This is wonderful to hear! I have Woodwinds set up for next April and have snorkeled Bonaire before. It was an excursion through the ship and it was some of the best snorkeling I've done.

Happy birthday! Enjoying your review.

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!

Thanks to all of you for the Bday wishes:D

Another very busy week & weekend of work/long hours... plus evening celebration. Pretty much zero personal time for blogging on CC. I did have time to video both Radiance and Solstice sailaways to Hawaii this past Friday. Soltice Very interesting as she's 200' high, as is Lions Gate Bridge... They modified her mast to get under and I haven't witnessed her in Vancouver before. If interested, go over to the celebrity board and watch the video. Imo Soltice no trouble getting under Bridge of Americas for Panama Canal when the new locks open. She looked like she had at least 10' clearance of Lions Gate which is basically same height as BoA in Panama.

Curaçao photos loaded and should get to continue this review this evening.

Thx for your patience.

My family has booked with Woodwind for the afternoon when in Bonaire for our March cruise. Any suggestions on what to do for the AM? We'd like to maximize our time in Bonaire as its our first time. Thanks!

Hello Jlas. I apologize for this late reply... Missed it somehow! Thx bob for pointing out the ports of call forum.

To maximize your time as 1st timers I think the only way to see what the island has to offer, get great photos, and not get "stuck" in any one place is take the half day tour offered by vista or voyager. I've reviewd the voyager tour in previous pages... Vista the same but in air conditioning vans. They are highly affordable $30pp and the tents to find them are mere steps from the ship when you get off. I'd google either of them and email them pre-cruise. Personally, I would try vista as they are highly rated compared to Voyager, and voyager for me was just ok yet enjoyed the island tour overall

Do you recall who you rented the jeep through? I would love to spend the day doing the tour of the parks.

Yes... Jay's Car rentals

http://www.jayscarrentalaruba.com/

But I am positive the first time I was there that was not one of the booths that were set up at the pier. I went back to look at old pictures, and even try to find any paperwork, but I just can't find who I rented from right at the booths last time... pretty sure it was either Speedy or Royal as those two I believe I remember being the ones right there. Both are on-line as well.

This is the map I felt was best for Curacao that I fond on-line. Like Bonaire and Aruba before, I printed this out on large legal 17x11 paper. I found some inconsistencies in this map as I will explain as I go along where the roads didn't look exactly as drawn on this map, although very close, and created confusion.

Curacao%20map_zpsl7budw0d.png

Curacao cannot whatsoever be done in one day, it's the largest of the islands so no way to circumnavigate it in one day. There are plenty of things to see on Curacao between beaches, caves, parks, etc so definitely research various excursions and "things to do" on-line so you can choose for yourslf what interests you. I wanted to concentrate on the northern western side including Kenepa Beaches (Klein Knip & Grote Knip), Shete Boka National Park & Cristoffel National Park

ae3ef439-e0ec-41fe-b053-cc1f5b7676ed_zpsdcgjn298.png

After another early wake-up call for another superb day in paradise, we got ready for the 8am call to Curacao. After our usual machiatto in the lounge and breakfast routine, we approached the pier and I was able to enjoy a limited view from our aft balcony as we closed in.

DSC09755_zpswtgiviod.jpg

DSC09756_zpszjjvdn2r.jpg

The first time I visited Curacao was on the Vision of the Seas, and for those of you who know Curacao we were able to sail right into the bay, through the swing bridge and dock up closer to the Princess Juliana Bridge at the older pier... that was totally awesome and a major thrill!! However, any larger ships dock at the relatively newer "Mega Pier" just a short 10 min walk from the center of town and the swing bridge. From my aft balcony, I had no view of the picturesque town of Punda with all the colourful buildings, so I would have to wait until we headed out.

The pier area here is set up and organized just like Bonaire and Aruba before, with booths, vendors, taxi and excursion waiting areas very easy to find for everyone.

DSC09757_zpse6kltlna.jpg

DSC09760_zpsdmqob0ch.jpg

I researched car rentals companies as best I could and also made a couple of calls pre-cruise. I decided to keep it really simple... the only car company with an office right at the port is Avis... I could see it (Avis sign) from top deck as we were getting close to pier. The price was extremely reasonable so there was no reason for me to look elsewhere. Booking was super easy on line and they answered a couple of questions I had via email no problem. But the office as you get out to the pier is extremely unassuming and you might miss it unless you saw the sign from above from the ship. The green building is the office... yep, you could right past it and not even know it!

DSC09759_zps5rjkjkwo.jpg

It's a temp office that is only manned when a ship is in port. They do not have cars on hand (supposedly) so you have to prebook. They then drive cars over from their airport location when the cruise ship arrives. We were the second couple there and were waiting for our car... another couple with no reservation showed up 3rd and they were lucky to discover that the drivers did in fact deliver an extra car. But if they weren't first I don't know what the next step would be other than having to wait for them to send a car over from the airport (delay).