Vista Alcohol - is it true?

sunlite

Thanks a lot for that, We are on the Spain to athens cruise so will it be 10% or when we go in to Greece waters 24% and what about Italy ??

thanks for replys i have been looking for some time but only just got on this site

Do you know if any balcony cabins have tea & coffee makers!

Haha :p

In short tax on purchases on board should be as follows... If only it was being done properly.... It seems to change with the wind!

If your cruise starts in Spain without leaving the EU then food and drink should attract 10%. From Greece it's a whopping 24%

Is that correct, I thought it was only while in Greek waters ?. We are on the Athens to Barcelona and that's what we are being told.

Is that correct, I thought it was only while in Greek waters ?. We are on the Athens to Barcelona and that's what we are being told.

I have no idea what carnival are doing. However it's the port at the start of the cruise that dictates the level. You have effectively not left Greek waters apart from when in port in Spain France or Italy. That is how it should be charged but with carnival.... Who knows!

People on the Barcelona to Barcelona just finished were being charged 21% on drinks. It should have been 10. Go figure!

And honestly do not bank on anything that carnival guest services tell you. Bless 'em, they are doing their best but have nigh zero knowledge.

I got lucky. I found a GS supervisor who went the full mile on informed information direct from the ships purser to confirm my personal details having pre bought cheers and also compensated me for the hours speaking to other staff who promise to call back and didn't. I walked off with with a rather large negative bill and look forward to a nice fat cheque in the post. :D

Thanks a lot for that, We are on the Spain to athens cruise so will it be 10% or when we go in to Greece waters 24% and what about Italy ??

thanks for replys i have been looking for some time but only just got on this site

Do you know if any balcony cabins have tea & coffee makers!

It should be 10% for you apart from in Greek waters as you suggest.

However on our Barcelona to Barcelona (26 aug) they charged 21%

I have no idea how they get it so wrong but they have. Fingers crossed they rectify it for you.

Can anyone confirm if they were able to due this during embarkation in Athens?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the inaugural, Athens was one of our ports. In Terminal B, there is a duty free shop right next to when you go through security ( after ). People were even buying and bringing 1.5 litres of water ( which is usually a Carnival no no ) in plastic bottles on board and nothing was said. Alcohol, beer and water were all ok.

Just got off we did from 18th until 3rd. I brought a variety of alcohol on at every port. Vodka, beers, wine & liqueur. I never hid it, I had no problems bringing it on.

I never noticed the vat being charged, had gone up to 21% but I wasn't looking closely was more looking at the item purchased. I didn't receive any individual receipts so no way of checking now.

Edited by cshellz

Alcohol can be brought on board. It's been stated numerous times in this thread and numerous others.

What more needs to be said? Are you doubting people?

And the reason that VAT keeps coming up is its the very reason most people seem to be choosing to bring their own on with them.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

any more updates on this? I am on the TA on Oct 21 and would love to know if they are allowing alcohol to be brought on board. My guess is they are allowing it right now because of the VAT issues in Europe. For the TA the VAT will only apply while in Spain's waters or for about 6 hours they would have to collect VAT. So they might not allow the alcohol to be brought on board other than the one bottle of wine.

any more updates on this? I am on the TA on Oct 21 and would love to know if they are allowing alcohol to be brought on board. My guess is they are allowing it right now because of the VAT issues in Europe. For the TA the VAT will only apply while in Spain's waters or for about 6 hours they would have to collect VAT. So they might not allow the alcohol to be brought on board other than the one bottle of wine.

Nothing to do with VAT. Historically, Carnival has been lax about enforcing their alcohol policy on European sailings including the Med and Transatlantic. There has been no change in their alcohol policy.

There is no guarantee that the enforcement won't change. I doubt it will this year.

Please get back to talking about the topic of this thread...bringing alcohol on the ship. This back and forth debate about tipping and VAT does not belong here. Plenty of threads for that debate.

Thank you

When bringing alcohol on board at embarkation, may it be in checked bags or must we carry it on. Also, does anyone know if water in plastic bottles are allowed either checked or carried? I read on Carnivals website that only cans or cartons of water are allowed.

When bringing alcohol on board at embarkation, may it be in checked bags or must we carry it on. Also, does anyone know if water in plastic bottles are allowed either checked or carried? I read on Carnivals website that only cans or cartons of water are allowed.

You can order a 12 pack of water for $3.99 so no need to carry on. In Europe (and only in Europe) things are different with taking on Alcohol. Carnival has always been lenient in Europe mainly to give people the chance to try local wines. This could of course change.

Officially the two bottles of wine you are allowed at embarkation should be in carry-on.

You can order a 12 pack of water for $3.99 so no need to carry on. In Europe (and only in Europe) things are different with taking on Alcohol. Carnival has always been lenient in Europe mainly to give people the chance to try local wines. This could of course change.

Officially the two bottles of wine you are allowed at embarkation should be in carry-on.

Agree with this, except doesn't have to be just wine. We bought a bottle of Rum and Southern Comfort, along with 2 -4 packs of Coke, right at the port store right before getting on the ship in Athens. Carried it right on in the bags from the purchase. No questions asked.

I would assume that will happen in Barcelona for your TA too.

I have a feeling this look the other way policy is about to end on this trip. Just going on a comment another member of this website quoted and who seems to know an awful lot about company policy so must have inside information..... somehow!!!

Agree with this, except doesn't have to be just wine. We bought a bottle of Rum and Southern Comfort, along with 2 -4 packs of Coke, right at the port store right before getting on the ship in Athens. Carried it right on in the bags from the purchase. No questions asked.

Ssh I am also doing the Med cruise boarding in Athens.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time we encountered an issue boarding with alcohol was during the stop in Sicily. Italy had raised the alert level to category 2, following the explosion in NYC (Sept 2016). As we entered the port terminal, people were being screened by Italian Border Service - they were confiscating all glass bottles.

When my bag was screened, I was asked to surrender the bottle of wine i had purchased. They (haphazardly) explained that the bottle was a restricted item for international travel. I told them that the next port is Naples, Italy: international rules need no apply. I wasn't trying to be petulant; I work in a similar field and believe it was a legitimate response.

Then it dawned on me: national pride. Do Sicilians see themselves as Italian? Am I leaving their nation? Seems a little to existential for a bottle of wine. Oh well, tread lightly.

The answer remained the same. No bottles beyond this point.

So I said, no problem. May I exit the secure zone and go back to the vendor to return this sweet nectar that you are ripping away us.

The immediate answer was no. I was completely fine with the answer, after all, its just one bottle. Not a big deal. But for some reason, I heard myself say: Why? Why is apparently a question only answered by a supervisor.

The supervisor came to us and reconfirmed that I could not board the vessel with a glass bottle. I acknowledged my understanding. I asked him why I couldn't leave the secure zone to return the bottle to the vendor. He said that I could and that I should simply go back through the same door...

We returned to the vendor and ordered lunch. We drank the bottle of wine while enjoying the main square.

Upon our return to the secure zone, the long lines to screen your belongings where gone. Not an agent to be seen :eek::eek::eek:

Lousy timing I guess.

All true we brought on all we wanted and other bottle of vodka past Vista cruisers gave us. As we were in the same hotel and they had no enough space. Oh darn. Yes 24% tax so far. Finally sunny. So let it all begin!