Breakaway and weather

Harleysparents

Hey All. We are cruising the Breakaway again this weekend 9/4

Though I have cruised many times, the couple of times I have been in storms with high seas haven't been pleasant. I am a bit concerned about all the activity in the Atlantic. Has anyone heard anything? Norwegian says most likely we will miss it all but looking at the weather channel isn't making me feel better

Though I have cruised many times, the couple of times I have been in storms with high seas haven't been pleasant. I am a bit concerned about all the activity in the Atlantic. Has anyone heard anything? Norwegian says most likely we will miss it all but looking at the weather channel isn't making me feel better

Im on the same cruise, from what I've read, we should be ok getting there, maybe hit a little choppy stuff.

In Bermuda its about 30-40% chance of rain each day, but nothing to worry about.

Getting back, it will depend on how the current tropical depressions and storms develop over the next week or so.

NCL will never say anything about it until the day of, or maybe before, the cruise.

At this time, Hermine or its remnants are expected to be passing off the coast of NJ/NY on Sunday and Monday, and not moving very fast. I see three scenarios:

1. The forecast changes and the timing moves it through faster or slower, give your ship a path to curve around the outer edge of the storm.

2. The storm is remnants that make seas rough but passable. Hold on to your hat and bring dramamine.

3. The storm alters your schedule a day - delayed departure or sailing south along the coast before out to Bermuda. The sail out to Bermuda has extra time in it so they can go faster and still get there on time.

The storm is very unlikely to affect Bermuda and should pass by the central Atlantic well before you are scheduled to be there!

Also, given all the criticism over the last storm that NCL sailed into, you can bet they are more conservative now and won't head into dangerous conditions.

I've been on 2 cruises down the east coast that had 20-25' swells during a portion. It was uncomfortable, and those with motion sickness had confined themselves to their cabins. But it only lasted 8-10 hours and everyone was fine. Well except the liquor store on the Explorer of the Seas, which had a lot of broken glass!

Too early to worry unless you can cancel for any reasons with insurance, LOL. Depending on your stateroom location & deck level on the BA, TS Hermes impact on the Atlantic passage out to BDA could be minimal ... we're in 15 to 20 ft. waves on the BA last year coming back up north, where they closed the outdoors out of safety precaution, lasted about 3/4 of a day, a little bit of rocking & rolling and sideway since it was a strong gail force wind blowing diagonal across the deck, not too bad and we're all the way Forward on #10.

Bookmark these 2 sites and you can keep track of the storm after sailing out on Sunday - although, by then, the storm is halfway out to the north Atlantic. Tides & currents are the main leftover, unless it changed course & slide up the coast - forecasters are usually pretty accurate within the 36 to 48 hour window before landfall.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl#contents

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

NCH/NOAA also tweets out updates ... that is, if you have access to a data plan. Have faith & trust the ship's Captain in making the tough calls to sail around or directly into the weakest part of the storm systems head-on, or delay and wait it out for a few hours as a matter of timing on Sunday.

Typically, passengers will be briefed once onboard either before the ship sail or shortly after by the Captain, in case plans needed to be change or passengers are advised to hold on to hand rails, etc. - pack your own favorite motion meds, and hope for the best. And, if the ship is really rocking in 30 to 40 ft. seas - skip your meals in the buffet ... unless you are like us, we loved the peace & tranquity because most retreated to their staterooms.

Think about shorter wait for walk-up dinner without reservations, faster services and a more quiet meal experience. It's a typical slow cruise out to the islands using only 3 out of 4 engines ... would be fun to go full speed and race the Hermes. :D

My boyfriend is a deck hand on the Breakaway. I just sent him a message to see how the swells are...i will post back here as soon as I hear from him..usually @ 10 pm ET. When you get on the ship, be certain to say hello to him on the Pool Deck...Turnell from St Lucia..full of smiles! he will try to help you with your pool chairs if you need some saved :) 10 years with NCL and he is still smiling!

-Michelle

Thanks everyone all of you have been very helpful. We are going either way so I guess there is no use worrying. I am just one of this people Afraid to throw up but on the two prior bad cruises I was nauseous but never got sick we are in the Haven so we are pretty far up. I will park myself in the center of the ship if it does get bad

Looking at the 5 PM forecast models, storm could be tracking closer as it come up the coast. Tropical wind, rain & storm surges, flash flooding & rip tides are common for us on land, it's not a major storm ... yet, unless it pick up momentum or it could turn away out to sea. NCL isn't going to cancel, just a change in timing. Worst case, go north to see Canada. LOL. Maine lobsters are nice & fresh. I don't see strong reasons to hit the warning & panic buttons and NCL likely won't announce anything till Friday or Saturday, if at all. Those flying or driving would want to allow extra travel time to get to ports as this is the Labor Day weekend. Bermuda is always beautiful and especially after the storm passing nearby.

Relax, enjoy & safe cruising this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wasn't that RCCL Anthem of the Seas?

Agreed. That was RCL.

I will share with you that NCL will make safe decisions. I know this first hand. They don't gamble. Others may. Breakaway will take 15-20 fine. She's very stable. There are systems on board to increase the stability in high seas, albeit at the cost of fuel and speed (time). Compare safety record of avoidable accidents (pilot error if you will and even mechanical failures) from NCL with that of RCCL and the "C" brand. I won't even bring myself to say that name. NCL has an excellent record.

Hurricanes however, are still fairly unpredictable even today. You will most likely go somewhere, it just may not be the island.

And at the end of the day, it is the risk we take with being passengers on cruise lines. The risk (of cancellation not safety) is surely outweighed by the reward in my mind.

Edited by SailBreakaway

I'm on the same sailing with you and in the Haven as well. Stop listening to forecasts, they will drive you nuts. Personally, I can't change what the weather brings, so I am not going to worry about. Whatever happens, happens. But I do have a fresh box of Bonine that I will pack.....lol

Also, given all the criticism over the last storm that NCL sailed into, you can bet they are more conservative now and won't head into dangerous conditions.

I've been on 2 cruises down the east coast that had 20-25' swells during a portion. It was uncomfortable, and those with motion sickness had confined themselves to their cabins. But it only lasted 8-10 hours and everyone was fine. Well except the liquor store on the Explorer of the Seas, which had a lot of broken glass!

What Storm was that??? The only storm that I know of that a ship sailed into was Royal Caribbean and not NCL did I miss something? I'm pretty sure it was the Anthem

Marion

It's that time of the year.

Norwegian says most likely we will miss it all but looking at the weather channel isn't making me feel better

Hmmmm,,,, Not sure about "miss it all". Ship will need to get into port so that you can get out of port. Also, you need to make sure that you get into the port (airlines may cancel flights into affected areas).

212352W5_NL_sm.gif

Edited by BirdTravels

Hmmmm,,,, Not sure about "miss it all". Ship will need to get into port so that you can get out of port. Also, you need to make sure that you get into the port (airlines may cancel flights into affected areas).

212352W5_NL_sm.gif

From what I've read, if the path holds west over land it will weaken. It would still bring some rain and wind but nothing insane. I'd guess that's the best case scenario?

What do they do in these cases? The forecast looks worse than I thought. Do they just cancel the cruise?

They will not cancel the cruise. Changes of ports, change of port time, change of embarkcation port and/or time yes. Cancel no, that is what insurance is for.

2012 Hurricane Sandy, left Brooklyn (Princess) for Bermuda, turned left within 16 hours was tied up in Boston with 23 lines and two tug boats holding us to the pier in 90knot winds. Other cruiselines tried to make Bermuda and had problems. An NCL ship, not the Dawn who is homeported in Boston came up from Florida as Boston was the first port open they could reprovision.

As to the next sailing, they told everyone that it was still on even with Manhattan without power you were to get there and sail on the repo cruise.

2014 Hurricane Arthur was supposed to go to Saint Johns NB, that time never made the left, went to Bermuda for the the day.

The ship will sail...

don't want to sound like an ahole...but when you booked the cruise. did you not know about hurricane season?

9/18 breakaway will be my 10 cruise....1/2 of them been during hurricane season going to Bermuda. You get a great deal $ but you roll the dice on the weather.

They will not cancel the cruise. Changes of ports, change of port time, change of embarkcation port and/or time yes. Cancel no, that is what insurance is for.

2012 Hurricane Sandy, left Brooklyn (Princess) for Bermuda, turned left within 16 hours was tied up in Boston with 23 lines and two tug boats holding us to the pier in 90knot winds. Other cruiselines tried to make Bermuda and had problems. An NCL ship, not the Dawn who is homeported in Boston came up from Florida as Boston was the first port open they could reprovision.

As to the next sailing, they told everyone that it was still on even with Manhattan without power you were to get there and sail on the repo cruise.

2014 Hurricane Arthur was supposed to go to Saint Johns NB, that time never made the left, went to Bermuda for the the day.

The ship will sail...

I was on the Jewel during Sandy. It was a trip..everything falling over..Everton getting sick including me and some of the crew..but it beat being on land.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

don't want to sound like an ahole...but when you booked the cruise. did you not know about hurricane season?

9/18 breakaway will be my 10 cruise....1/2 of them been during hurricane season going to Bermuda. You get a great deal $ but you roll the dice on the weather.

I personally figured the hurricane would be closer to bermuda if anything, not right off the coast of NY lol.

I have no problem with the issues arising from travelling through bad weather, my main concern having never cruised before, was just to ensure we'd still have a vacation.

I think if you book this time of the year, you have to understand that hurricanes, tropical storms, etc. happen.