Getaway IConcierge - does it work well?i

Freckles_51

Thanks for responses. I'm surprised it does not work well on Getaway, when on POA post refurb repo from San Francisco to Hawaii it worked really well, even at times I was able to send and receive iMessages to my daughter back home, not on wifi plan ;)

IConcierge did not work well a few years ago. Has it been improved for communicating with others onboard, particularly on Getaway?

Had it on the escape a month ago and when it worked it was good but we did have a couple of hours each day where it would stop working this was usually ate afternoon and possible due to the volume of people getting back on board and registering on the network? It could be improved and considering its local connectivity onboard it should be free.

... on POA post refurb repo from San Francisco to Hawaii ... I was able to send and receive iMessages to my daughter back home, not on wifi plan ;)

Hmmm, my understanding and I stand corrected, is that iMessages are send/received using either cellular data and/or WiFi data, which is an extra "pay" or "Free At Sea" option with NCL - via your iOS App and not iConcierge App, which itself is and will connect to the ship's inTRAnet (internal network exclusive to the ship, mostly - closed loop, if you want to call that). The calling & texting feature would take the users beyond the free boundaries and into extra connectivity and more loops to the outside, not necessary involving satellite links unless the calls placed involved dialing out to land towers via the satellite, etc.

Having said all that, the iConcierge, by itself; and, the satellite connections and inTERnet - on the Breakaway were both functional. One of my nieces were on the Getaway last Spring & this Spring with families, kids & friends - and didn't have major issues with either component - but, would describe it as somewhat hit-n-miss for texting & calling, fairly consistent with what most users are saying here.

The App itself, the iOS and the Android versions, have not been updated since Nov. 2015 - and could use some security and bug fixes, which developers do on a frequent & regular basis.

Does it work - yes, it does. Does it work well - it depends at that moment & who you asked. The "free" features do work, with plenty of room for improvement and the "paid" feature for calling & texting - you can request a full refund onboard if it doesn't work to your satisfaction; and many did so. I would not "depend" on it for reliability.

Hmmm, my understanding and I stand corrected, is that iMessages are send/received using either cellular data and/or WiFi data, which is an extra "pay" or "Free At Sea" option with NCL - via your iOS App and not iConcierge App, which itself is and will connect to the ship's inTRAnet (internal network exclusive to the ship, mostly - closed loop, if you want to call that). The calling & texting feature would take the users beyond the free boundaries and into extra connectivity and more loops to the outside, not necessary involving satellite links unless the calls placed involved dialing out to land towers via the satellite, etc.

Having said all that, the iConcierge, by itself; and, the satellite connections and inTERnet - on the Breakaway were both functional. One of my nieces were on the Getaway last Spring & this Spring with families, kids & friends - and didn't have major issues with either component - but, would describe it as somewhat hit-n-miss for texting & calling, fairly consistent with what most users are saying here.

The App itself, the iOS and the Android versions, have not been updated since Nov. 2015 - and could use some security and bug fixes, which developers do on a frequent & regular basis.

Does it work - yes, it does. Does it work well - it depends at that moment & who you asked. The "free" features do work, with plenty of room for improvement and the "paid" feature for calling & texting - you can request a full refund onboard if it doesn't work to your satisfaction; and many did so. I would not "depend" on it for reliability.

If you just use the 'free' features, do they still charge you to download the app onto your phone?

If you just use the 'free' features, do they still charge you to download the app onto your phone?

no charge for using the basic app for reservations, checking your bill and port inf o etc. $9.99 for using the messenger and phone service to other users onboard or dialing cabins

If you just use the 'free' features, do they still charge you to download ...
As above. No, it's 100% free to download & install (from Apple Store & Android Play Store), do that first before leaving from home or sailing as you would otherwise need data access @sea. Tap on the upper right to view the several help screen for a preview of what & how it work.

On my Nexus, it's "disabled" although it's not known to start or run in the background, unlike iOS version - it will somehow manage to connect to ship's WiFi on land, LOL.

Once you checked in at the pier, you can activate or register when in range of ship's WiFi - and get an early start/late catching up with specialty dining & show reservations, etc. >>> whatever is open to book.

Thanks for the info.

I'd delete the app after the cruise. It seems to run in the background and they that you are connecting to the ship's wifi for weeks after you get off :rolleyes:. it will just make you miss the vacation even more haha

Is the $9.99 put on your sail and sign card? How does that work exactly.. Thanks

Yes its all put on your ship account when you register the phone app. You get the option on the app to add the messenger service on the app and you have to confirm name and cabin number it will then register you.

Yes its all put on your ship account when you register the phone app. You get the option on the app to add the messenger service on the app and you have to confirm name and cabin number it will then register you.

Thank you!!! We leave tomorrow so this is good to know

Hey Freckles - did you slip in that GA trip or was I just not paying attention - I thought your next trip was on the Epic.

Have a great time in a little over a week.

Thanks dex......You were not paying attention :p , booked the GA cruise in January...mother, daughter, granddaughter cruise :D

We're still going on the Epic next February. You mentioned some time ago about the possibility of an Epic cruise..... are you joining us? ;)

I'm assuming your PG cruise was excellent, I'm so excited to be going to that region of the World in 2018 :D

Hmmm, my understanding and I stand corrected, is that iMessages are send/received using either cellular data and/or WiFi data, which is an extra "pay" or "Free At Sea" option with NCL - via your iOS App and not iConcierge App.

I was on airplane mode with wifi on and data off. Now I'm thinking about it.....we were getting close to Maui, our first land stop, when the first iMessage came through. We communicated like this every morning as the ship approached ports, no wifi charges, no extra charges from my provider. :)

I only paid for the iConcierge, no "free at sea"....well except the cruise itself which was a steal to start with and then 50% credit :p

Thanks dex......You were not paying attention :p , booked the GA cruise in January...mother, daughter, granddaughter cruise :D

We're still going on the Epic next February. You mentioned some time ago about the possibility of an Epic cruise..... are you joining us? ;)

I'm assuming your PG cruise was excellent, I'm so excited to be going to that region of the World in 2018 :D

I was looking at the Epic in December but more likely to be the Jade - waiting for DW to figure out her vacation time and how to use our POA credit - I'm a bit concerned trying to use it more than a year out although others did but it was not easy from the reports. So if we use the credit in December all should be good vs. trying to use it next August.

PG always excellent.

In 2018 who are you sailing on? Maybe it is in your signature - I'll take a peek - ETA - Radiance OTS. Which ports do you stop at?

Edited by dexddd

I was looking at the Epic in December but more likely to be the Jade - waiting for DW to figure out her vacation time and how to use our POA credit - I'm a bit concerned trying to use it more than a year out although others did but it was not easy from the reports. So if we use the credit in December all should be good vs. trying to use it next August.

PG always excellent.

In 2018 who are you sailing on? Maybe it is in your signature - I'll take a peek - ETA - Radiance OTS. Which ports do you stop at?

Using the credit was a bit of a hassle but you know others were (eventually) able to book beyond the year so you shouldn't have a problem as long as you contact NCL before the year is out.

Radiance OTS from Sydney to Hawaii, stopping at Wellington NZ, Picton NZ, Papeete, Bora Bora.

Considering 7-10 days precruise in Australia, maybe stopping in NZ for 3 or 4 nights on the way there. May as well see as much as possible when traveling so far. :eek:

Edited by Freckles_51

Okay. I guess I'm dense. I thought the app was free. Why are we paying $9.99?

Download the app for free and use it onboard using the free features such as checking what's on for the day, check your onboard account, etc.

Pay $9.99 only if you want to use it to communicate with others onboard through the app's message feature.

Here is the list of features, most were free last time I used it without the fee (Dec 2014):

https://www.ncl.com/apps

Edited by Freckles_51