Breakaway Inside--total debacle?

jimdicap

Hello--booked on the Breakaway 11/13, inside cabin deck 12--VERY small. Me, DW, and 7 yr old and 5 year old. How bad will this be? I have been trying to upgrade, but since we got a promo, they will not honor the promo for an upgraded room (the kids sail free promo). Just want to see if anyone had this scenario, and, is it survivable?

As long as you know the size & layout of the "Inside" on the *Away class ships, you are okay - with the 2 smaller children. Teenagers would be more challenging. It is entirely survivable, crowded a bit and not a lot of space to move around and just a stool for one person to sit on. Is it bad - depends on who you ask, let's just say it's not great as NCL's *Away class ships have probably, if not definitely, the smallest cabins among the major mass lines in the No. America market.

We've booked & twice stayed with an Inside for DW & I, on the BA and are fine with it - and, in between - booked an Oceanview & got upgraded to a regular Balcony (and, the balcony is a joke.)

Good news in that the bathroom is relatively roomy & you can store all your luggage under the beds (plenty of height).

NCL isn't going to do a "nice" upgrade with nearly 2.5 months to sailing, keep your eyes on changing prices ... within that 1 to 4 week window before disembarkation date, and call the Upsell # (it's posted here on CC, just search for it) & see what they can do, especially if they have unsold inventory.)

Here's one of the many pictures of our BA Inside from 2014 - other pix & details are in the linked review posted here, under our SIGnature

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/IMG_20140329_142703.jpg

Since it is on the BA that has the two beds on the wall vs. many of the other NCL ships with insides for 4 with only one bed on the wall and one that pops up from the floor to make one big bed and kids that young, I really wouldn't worry too much.

The beds come down from the ceiling so the kids will love it

It's better though to keep the bottom beds as 2 twins rather that a queen or you have no space to walk at all

Stay put and Keep your good deal but pack very very light as there is no storage to speak of and the closet is a joke

The entire ship is poorly designed but a first time cruiser doesn't realize this fact

Seasoned cruisers do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Hello--booked on the Breakaway 11/13, inside cabin deck 12--VERY small. Me, DW, and 7 yr old and 5 year old. How bad will this be? I have been trying to upgrade, but since we got a promo, they will not honor the promo for an upgraded room (the kids sail free promo). Just want to see if anyone had this scenario, and, is it survivable?

Yes! We did it with teen son and daughter. Your in the cabin to use the BR and sleep. I would rather use the $$ saved on other things during the week.

Our first 5 cruises were balcony, we said the 4 of us would never survive an inside, then my husband won a cruise playing poker and we had an inside for the 4 of us. We were stressing, we had no problems. We would have no problem doing it again.

I have sailed Breakaway 4 times. Each time has been in an Inside Stateroom. The Breakaway Insides are among the SMALLEST Insides I've ever been in! My kids are older than yours...15 & 11. We usually opt for connecting Insides now. That said, you just can't beat the KIDS SAIL FREE promo. considering the ages of your kids, honestly I think you'll be FINE! The majority of my cruises have all been in Insides and while the Kids were as young as yours, one Inside cabin worked fine.

Don't stress! Go and have a BLAST!!

My kids are about the same age and this is something they would love. Plus you don't have to stress about them opening balcony doors. And mine love a dark inside room - they will sleep forever!

I agree with pack very light. And if you try to upsell you may have some luck and get something bigger. But you'll still have a blast.

I am just back from a quick sailing on the Getaway. Literally just got off the ship yesterday. I had an inside room on deck 12. I took this trip with a friend. I said I would have no issue with this room with my husband and our two teenage daughters. My friend said no way would that room work for her with her husband and son. So, the long and short of it is you won't know until you experience it for yourself. But the good news is that you have the right expectations going in!

I honestly believe it won't be a big deal. The ship was wonderful with lots of things to see and do. You won't be in your room a ton. I have several pictures. When my kids wake up I can have them show me how to post them. ;)

As long as you know the size & layout of the "Inside" on the *Away class ships, you are okay - with the 2 smaller children. Teenagers would be more challenging. It is entirely survivable, crowded a bit and not a lot of space to move around and just a stool for one person to sit on. Is it bad - depends on who you ask, let's just say it's not great as NCL's *Away class ships have probably, if not definitely, the smallest cabins among the major mass lines in the No. America market.

We've booked & twice stayed with an Inside for DW & I, on the BA and are fine with it - and, in between - booked an Oceanview & got upgraded to a regular Balcony (and, the balcony is a joke.)

Good news in that the bathroom is relatively roomy & you can store all your luggage under the beds (plenty of height).

NCL isn't going to do a "nice" upgrade with nearly 2.5 months to sailing, keep your eyes on changing prices ... within that 1 to 4 week window before disembarkation date, and call the Upsell # (it's posted here on CC, just search for it) & see what they can do, especially if they have unsold inventory.)

Here's one of the many pictures of our BA Inside from 2014 - other pix & details are in the linked review posted here, under our SIGnature

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/IMG_20140329_142703.jpg

Thanks for the advice and the pictures!

Hello--booked on the Breakaway 11/13, inside cabin deck 12--VERY small. Me, Dw, and 7 yr old and 5 year old. How bad will this be? I have been trying to upgrade, but since we got a promo, they will not honor the promo for an upgraded room (the kids sail free promo). Just want to see if anyone had this scenario, and, is it survivable?

The cabin is small, but doable. They have Pullman beds that come down from the ceiling over the queen size bed, not sure if you want your kids on that.

attached is an image of me on the queen bed with the Pullmans closed to give you an idea what it looks like. I am 4'9 to give you a reference. hope this helps.

IMG_1646.jpg.2b03bc5620dc8436a2ff0dcbcc70382d.jpg

I am just back from a quick sailing on the Getaway. Literally just got off the ship yesterday. I had an inside room on deck 12. I took this trip with a friend. I said I would have no issue with this room with my husband and our two teenage daughters. My friend said no way would that room work for her with her husband and son. So, the long and short of it is you won't know until you experience it for yourself. But the good news is that you have the right expectations going in!

I honestly believe it won't be a big deal. The ship was wonderful with lots of things to see and do. You won't be in your room a ton. I have several pictures. When my kids wake up I can have them show me how to post them. ;)

Was storage space a problem? I see that the inside cabins have no dresser drawers.

Was storage space a problem? I see that the inside cabins have no dresser drawers.
On the *Away class ships, virtually all of the mini-suites, balconies, oceanviews and insides have "no" traditional dresser drawers, by design. Lots of open shelves, some cleverly designed to maximize use of space and some behind "doors". There is 2 top shelves inside the bathroom for everyone's toiletry items, eliminating the need for those hanging door storage. There is storage under the faucet sink (soiled laundry ... just don't forget to pack them or get it washed, etc.)

We used a mix of eBags, Eagle Creeks and Ikea packing cubes & pouches. See picture here, almost 7/8 of the clothes I packed inside the Costco 22" expandable carry-on rollers (and it's been around the world as checked luggage when expanded). Keep everything organized, seat & uneasy to re-pack- and, clean. You can lay flat one or two 25" suitcase on the floor, inside the small closet - and have easy use of the top one - just flip up to use & down to close. There's space for 2 large (and, tall) suitcases under the bed, slide in & out when needed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150323_1351%20%28600x%20800%29.jpg

The desk/dresser countertop is, small - that's for sure - another reason to not eat in one's stateroom, LOL. Look closely & you will find small storage on the side. The stool has more storage, just lift the heavy seatcover

Edited by mking8288

Those rooms are way too small.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would follow up here with post cruise thoughts for anyone in this situation. Frankly, it was NOT that bad--it was definitely small, but there was enough space (4 bags plus a few smaller ones) that with a little creativity it worked well. The bunk beds for the kids were not an inconvenience. It is not optimal, but was definitely not as bad as I thought and I would do it again with younger kids if the price was worth it.