Norovirus. Confined to cabin

silversurf

Read so much about this bug.

We are on a 14 nighter next year. If, heaven forbid, we were confined to our cabin, what is done about food and cleaning. Do we only have the choice from the Room Service Menu? And if only one of us is affected are we all confined to cabin?

From what I've read (albeit on other lines), other travellers don't need to stay confined in the cabin. Food-wise I think people confined to the cabin would need to order room service as you'd essentially be "breaking" the confinement if you went for supper at the dining room. Cleaning I'm not so sure about though

Dan

If you get the dreaded noro the last thing you will want is food! Having said that, when I had it, clear soup and dry toast was sent to the cabin in the evening, it wasn't room service and I don't think you would get room service.Cleaning is done by a special team, in PandO's equivalent to haz-mat suits, who appear and clean round you and when you are back out and about they come in and do a deep clean. Only the person who is ill is confined and I believe their cruise card is blocked, although it would be better to confine all occupants of the cabin.

Prevention is better,keep washing your hands, don't touch lift buttons with your fingers etc and enjoy your cruise.

My mum (in her 80's with 50 odd cruises under her belt) had this on Oriana a few years back, she was confined to the cabin for three days. They gave her food from the menu on disposable trays and they wore plastic gloves when visiting her, I was in a separate cabin but could visit her and did on several occasions. I went one day and she was in the loo and to be honest it was a dreadful sight, lets just say it was handy the toilet was next to the sink. Some things a son should never see!

I have been confined to my cabin twice on P&O. They have a special 'recovery' menu from which you can order via room service. Cabin cleaning is by teams wearing gloves, masks etc.

I think ALL people in a cabin should be quarantined :eek:

Unfortnately this happened to me a few years ago in the Med on Azura.

I remember being sick several times in my cabin bathroom, I rang the medical centre who confined me to my cabin overnight, I missed the dinner that night and was told to order something to eat off a special room service menu as I hadnt eaten for several hours by this point, the food I ordered came on paper plates... a cleaning team came and cleaned EVERYTHING and I`m sure they even changed my bedding aswell.... unfortnately after eating something I was sick again and was confined to my cabin by this point for 24 hours meaning I missed visiting Barcelona which was the SOLE reason I booked that cruise as I wanted to see Barcelona - The Medical centre rang me several times during my incarceration to see how I was, how I was feeling etc... I was eventually "released" after 27 hours !! - I remember a member of the cleaning team asking me if I was alright and if I was bored, I said that I was so he brought me some magazines to read as there is only so many times you can look out the window, watch tv, sleep, text, ring home etc... I do wish I`d had a balcony on that cruise and not an outside as at least I could have had some fresh air in my own outside space

Funny thing is after the first time I`d been sick I felt a MILLION times better, turns out I had gastroentitris - On my release I got talking to my cabin neighbour who had also been ill and in a much worse state then me who said he was charged money by P&O just for some tablets and X amount for a doctor to visit his cabin - So I fared well really

Edited by cruisefan2012