Just off Enchantment - Beach Beds! Etc.

renech

Just did a quickie 3 day on the Enchantment. Had mostly excellent service aside from a totally disorganized slot tournament. I took a friend who had never cruise before and even with the short time and older ship, she was sold on going cruising again one day. You're welcome, RC. :) Our balcony was in need of a good painting as there were several areas of rust.

Thought I'd give a short report on the new beach beds in Coco Cay because I hadn't seen too much about them yet before we left. We had actually booked the cabinettes initially but got a note telling us those were being moved/worked on so we were upgraded to the new beach beds which are in that same area.

They were wonderful! The regular price is $150 and I believe they say they can hold up to 6 people, but unless a few of those a smaller kids, I think that's 2 too many. They come with a cooler with 4 large waters, a plate of fruit, and (surprisingly to me) we did have the same private lunch as the regular cabanas. Also, we had the shuttle driver to take us back and forth. The best thing about these had to be the location. We had a really lovely and needed breeze the entire day, which made the otherwise very hot day feel perfect. We talked to people who had stayed by the usual beach area closer to the docks, and they actually left early because the heat was so stifling in that area. I did take several pictures but am still in the process of traveling so I'll post them later if anyones interested.

What are beach beds? First I've heard about them and we will be going to Coco Cay in February. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They are covered beds made of a white rubberized canvas material, with pillows and close able curtains for walls. There are 2 rows of them on this stretch of beach. The water is pretty shallow there but we loved just floating around on the mats.

Oops, forgot to mention hat the 2 floating mats are also included!

Trying to attach a pic from my phone.

image.jpg.aa6a02afb78718e1843da60761829d2c.jpg

I was actually considering booking this but I am a little confused by the price. Was the amount you paid per person? I see on the cruise planner a price of $150 but when I go to book it, it changes the total to $300.00 for both DH & myself. This seems very expensive. Any input would be appreciated. TIA

Thanks for this info - we have one booked for the end of this month. There are 4 of us - 2 adults, 2 kids so it sounds like we should have enough room. So glad to hear it's a nice area, that was the only part we weren't sure of. With 2 small kids, we were hoping for some shallow water.

I was actually considering booking this but I am a little confused by the price. Was the amount you paid per person? I see on the cruise planner a price of $150 but when I go to book it, it changes the total to $300.00 for both DH & myself. This seems very expensive. Any input would be appreciated. TIA

FYI - it's $150 for up to 6 people - only 1 person needs to book it. We had our travel agent confirm.

Edited by CruisinQueen2013

Had one booked for my cruise the end of this month and just cancelled it today. I like to lay in the sun....dh loves the shade.....Seemed like overkill. I think regular lounge chairs will work for us on this cruise.

Maybe next time......:)

There are certainly plenty of loungers. The beds do offer both comfortable shade and plentiful sun if you want to just lay in the 2 loungers you are assigned.

As CruisinQueen explained above, you should only pay $150 for each bed. Just book it under one person's name.

Thanks for this info - we have one booked for the end of this month. There are 4 of us - 2 adults, 2 kids so it sounds like we should have enough room. So glad to hear it's a nice area, that was the only part we weren't sure of. With 2 small kids, we were hoping for some shallow water.

You should be just fine with the 4 of you. There are also the 2 loungers if someone's being a bed hog. lol

The water, on our day at least, was crystal clear so we could see the areas with seaweed. There is a sand bar a little way out from the shore that we paddled to on our floating mats. It was only about waist deep!

I finally uploaded a few more pictures to post in a larger size:

29218423940_0ac1e93cd6_z.jpg

28882853014_937d052cb2_z.jpg

29218423600_35d1584013_z.jpg

28882853414_5b86478d86.jpg

29218424220_ae0e08d1f1_z.jpg

29218423210_fb8fa40ec7_z.jpg

Are there still regular lounge chairs in this area? This is where we usually go, but just get lounge chairs. It used to be rather secluded and we liked that....I have never seen more than 2 people at a time at that bar. How was the crowd? We sail in 3 weeks on Enchantment. Never been on her...any other information you would like to share about your trip?

FYI - it's $150 for up to 6 people - only 1 person needs to book it. We had our travel agent confirm.

But an unknowing person could go on the website and think they are being honest and select 2 people and be billed $300 this is a little troubling. I'd hate to pay $150 and then have one person denied. I guess this could just be a Royal screw up, (Is that a pun). I'm tempted for $150. Is the buffet area the same one open to the masses?

That area is nice, but sometimes it is so HOT over there b/c there is zero breeze. And if the tide goes out there is no water

Like someone else says, I want to lay in the sun, laying on a bed all day is not for me. I know people like it, but I can lay on a bed at home. I won't ever do massages on a beach for that reason.

As long as DH has a palm tree to sit under he is fine. We always sit straight down from where the bandstand is, b/t the old pier there and the first hut with mats to sell. almost straight down from the bar over by where they are doing the work in the little cove. Our favorite place, lots of sun, breeze, and no matter if tide is out or not, we always have water!

I walk down the other way every time we are out there. Gives me a great beach walk and I enjoy seeing the new changes happening. We were just there 2 weeks ago so I saw the new beach "cabanas" they have over past Barefoot. The day we went, maybe 2 were rented, the rest were available.

To the OP though, very pretty pictures!

Edited by karena1

Nice photos

Thanks!

Are there still regular lounge chairs in this area? This is where we usually go, but just get lounge chairs. It used to be rather secluded and we liked that....I have never seen more than 2 people at a time at that bar. How was the crowd? We sail in 3 weeks on Enchantment. Never been on her...any other information you would like to share about your trip?

If there were loungers other than the ones with the beds and cabanas, I did not see them. I suppose there could have been some further down? The area does feel a bit isolated from the other areas, and it's far enough that we would not have wanted to walk it in that heat.

We did get off the ship very early. There were hardly any other people there in the morning, but by afternoon, it was a reasonable crowd. Never felt crowded at all though.

I like the Enchantment for a short cruise, although I admit I still prefer the larger ships. We had nothing but positive interactions with all the crew from Guest Services to bartenders. The only complaint I had was with the slot tournament, but it may have been a case of an inexperienced person running it.

We had no complaints with food in the MDR. My friend, who was on her first cruise, was really impressed since I think she was expecting the worst. The Windjammer was basically same old, same old. Quick, some good, some mediocre offerings, but staff was very helpful.

The ship seemed in good shape overall. The only area that I really noticed being in desperate need of some upkeep was our balcony. It needed serious rust removal and painting.

I wouldn't do this size ship for a 7 day (personal preference) but for a quickie getaway it's just fine.

But an unknowing person could go on the website and think they are being honest and select 2 people and be billed $300 this is a little troubling. I'd hate to pay $150 and then have one person denied. I guess this could just be a Royal screw up, (Is that a pun). I'm tempted for $150. Is the buffet area the same one open to the masses?

I really thought that it would NOT include the private buffet, but it did. I was shocked when the shuttle driver dropped us off there. We were given wristbands that said "VIP," when we first arrived at the beach beds area, and they were checking as we walked in to the buffet. I don't know if they will continue this, but it was nice. I dislike the long lines at the public buffet, so I was pretty happy.

I wonder if this is going to phase out the cabinettes. They seem to have dropped in price on my upcoming trip and it does not mention on the website of free mats

The letter we got telling us that they were substituting the beach beds for the cabanettes said something like they were re-doing that area and the cabanettes would not be available for use at that time. So, I guess it's a wait to see if they re-introduce them or not.

That area is nice, but sometimes it is so HOT over there b/c there is zero breeze. And if the tide goes out there is no water

Like someone else says, I want to lay in the sun, laying on a bed all day is not for me. I know people like it, but I can lay on a bed at home. I won't ever do massages on a beach for that reason.

As long as DH has a palm tree to sit under he is fine. We always sit straight down from where the bandstand is, b/t the old pier there and the first hut with mats to sell. almost straight down from the bar over by where they are doing the work in the little cove. Our favorite place, lots of sun, breeze, and no matter if tide is out or not, we always have water!

I walk down the other way every time we are out there. Gives me a great beach walk and I enjoy seeing the new changes happening. We were just there 2 weeks ago so I saw the new beach "cabanas" they have over past Barefoot. The day we went, maybe 2 were rented, the rest were available.

To the OP though, very pretty pictures!

It's odd you say that about there being no breeze in that area, because our experience was the COMPLETE opposite. We had a beautiful breeze all day long, unlike the other more populated areas, like the private buffet and snorkeling areas. When we went over there for lunch it was very uncomfortable and we couldn't wait to get back to "our" side of the island. :) I suppose it's possible that the island breeze can change depending on that day's weather, but it was a stark contrast for us.

The tide does go out in the afternoon, but we certainly still had plenty of water. The sandbar was just a bit closer then. :D

Thanks to the OP, we decided to try it. I'll report back in around 40 days.

I hope you enjoy it! Looking forward to hearing your report and if they changed anything by then. I hope they don't because it was pretty perfect.

It's odd you say that about there being no breeze in that area, because our experience was the COMPLETE opposite. We had a beautiful breeze all day long....

The tide does go out in the afternoon, but we certainly still had plenty of water. The sandbar was just a bit closer then. :D

That's what I was thinking. The last time I was there was late October and it was breezy everywhere. One day doesn't make an absolute state of how things are.

I completely agree on that, that's why I had our travel agent call RCI. They confirmed only 1 needs to book as it accommodates 6 people. There is a note on the RCI site that is quite clear when booking the little "beach lounger for 2" where it says only 1 needs to book but for some reason, they don't have a similar note for the beach beds or the bungalows. They definitely need to make it more clear - then again, it's about par for the course for RCI. :rolleyes:

Edited by CruisinQueen2013