NCL approach -second thoughts

chisoxfan

Thank you for your post and your balanced approach. I am trying to do the same in my cruise selections. I did not need to be chastised that 'if I don't like it don't open your wallet or choose another cruise line'. I have cruised NCL previously and would not have booked another cruise with them if I thought they were a terrible line. I do think they have carried the pay as you go concept too far and TO ME it does seem like nickle and diming. That said there are certainly values that NCL offers.

Not that anyone cares but I will list my thoughts as I selected my Jan 2017 Getaway Cruise:

-to start, the only reason we did not book X is that we have been on Reflection and Eclipse several times and the itinerary they offered was one we have done frequently We have upcoming longer cruises booked with X and Princess.

-we wanted a 'bonus' drink package. Outside of X only NCL and HAL offered these for our dates. Excluding water is cheap but the 15 buck drink limit is generous more so than HAL or X even with premium package. 18% grat added as extra cost is cheap approach IMHO better to have a lower drink limit and offer a premium upgrade including bottled water(for those who like the pay for what you want approach) while including grats.

-Vibe at 99 week is not a bad deal and clearly an extra option above and beyond what a cruise passenger should expect. Sanctuary on Princess (the only thing I can compare to) is twice as much money

-7.95 room service charge- kind of a money grab that other lines do not follow as far as I know. That said others are charging for pizza and hot selection of breakfast is not always the norm- I will reserve judgement until seeing room service in action

-private isle Harvest Caye- would be disappointed if drinks from UBP not included but who knows at this point. A new destination especially with pool is very welcome

- not sure frankly how much specialty dining is but I plan to try it and I believe it competitively priced with Princess and HAL. While good X specialty dining is very expensive 35-50pp. Adding grat as extra is again

questionable in my mind. Why not include it in extra charge- you have to pay it anyway.

-we have spa balcony and am looking forward to spa use. Aqua class on X is similar but the spas are frankly somewhat limited in features

-my main concerns on NCL are- more crowded ships especially pool areas

small balcony and cabin ( we will see when we get there). Longer dining wait times if we do not make resv, (we experienced on Jade and Epic

-positives -new itinerary, newer ship, hopefully a more exciting spa experience than X, better entertainment options?

So much of this has to be experienced to make a 'final' judgement.

At the end of the day we booked our cruise with the positives in mind. The

'nickle and dime' comments I started this post with are certainly concerns

but not to imply that cost of bottled water or room service charges blind us assessing the overall value of NCL.

My HAL CC is contacting me with pricing for a cruise on their latest ship leaving the same days and we will make a decision on which represents the greatest value for us. I can say if it was not for the 'additional cost' issues I identified in my post as concerns, I would have not have looked at alternative options before final payment. Happy cruising to everyone.

-

You're welcome, and I'm totally with you. People have a tendency to get defensive with they feel like "their brand" is being called into question... I get it. But the bottom line is there are certain things that I feel are worth charging extra and certain up charges I find unreasonable and annoying. I can see charging for lobster and to eat at Cagneys. But not charging me for a hamburger and fries at Margaritaville when they were free at Uptown Grill. To me that's nickel and diming. Charging $79 for a beverage package and making me pay for water. Same thing. Charging me for a pass for a padded chair at Vibe when this is free on other comparable lines. (We have never had issues with kids at Serenity or the Solarium like other posters said... Just plentiful chairs and a relaxing atmosphere).

However I am reserving my final judgements until after the cruise. If the chairs on deck seem plentiful and I can find a place to lounge, I may not be bothered. If we think there is a good selection of food otherwise, then we may be impressed. We shall see!!! We were going to try Norwegian at some point, and it may be our only cruise with Norwegian, or the first of many :). But we have to try it to make a decision. I hope you have a good cruise!

Edited by jetta8300

Harvest Caye all the food is free and the booze as well if you have the UBP I asked this when I called and booked my cruise.

I was looking at booking a future cruise that goes to Harvest Caye and my TA told me, just today, that the drinks are included on the island with the UBP. I would be quite upset if I book and find out that she was incorrect.

I was looking at booking a future cruise that goes to Harvest Caye and my TA told me, just today, that the drinks are included on the island with the UBP. I would be quite upset if I book and find out that she was incorrect.

Pretty sure that's not accurate:

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/cruises/article66539687.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Just got off the phone with TA.. she is contacting NCL and will get something in writing to me one way or another. So we shall see. Or I can wait until November after the island is open for guests. I am sure we will know then.

Yes, as indicated in my post I understand this clearly. NCL is free to charge for towels and pillows if they like and 'for the most part' these charges are identified up front. That does not mean I have to be comfortable with the NCL approach. Water for one is a concern. When I have had drink packages on X, HAL, Princess it was included. I was surprised to learn this when I booked but after research was told it was not a big deal to check in with a case or two of water. Now that is not an option. So yes I could forgo water (not going to happen) or pay 3 bucks+? a bottle x 8 day for 2 x7days so between the UBP grats there is probably 350 bucks addtl. . My point (besides the cost which can be quantified) is that it is just a hassle to have to 'decide' if you want to pay for another bottle of water or room service when traditionally these have been part of the beverage package or cruise experience. With the advent of 'bonus' beverage packages we have really enjoyed the 'carefree' nature of sailing and not concerned ourselves with the end of cruise bill. JMHO

For water we've always bought bottled water on the first port day and taken the empty bottles back on the ship (I've never had a single problem getting an empty bottle on board).

Then fill up two glasses of water from the buffet drinks machine (for hygiene) and fill up your water bottle.

Rinse and repeat.

For water we've always bought bottled water on the first port day and taken the empty bottles back on the ship (I've never had a single problem getting an empty bottle on board).

Then fill up two glasses of water from the buffet drinks machine (for hygiene) and fill up your water bottle.

Rinse and repeat.

I've read a few reports that this isn't allowed anymore.

I've never had staff so much as bat an eyelid.

Just came back from the Norwegian Spirit last week, I was doing this for the whole cruise in full view of staff - never had a problem.

Your mileage may vary I suppose.

Completely false. Some "the sky is falling" people see the signs and think that means it's not allowed. What it means is that you need to use a glass to fill your bottle, instead of putting your nasty germy bottle against the dispenser. Same as it's always been.

Edited by LrgPizza

Thank you for your post and your balanced approach. I am trying to do the same in my cruise selections. I did not need to be chastised that 'if I don't like it don't open your wallet or choose another cruise line'. I have cruised NCL previously and would not have booked another cruise with them if I thought they were a terrible line. I do think they have carried the pay as you go concept too far and TO ME it does seem like nickle and diming. That said there are certainly values that NCL offers.

Not that anyone cares but I will list my thoughts as I selected my Jan 2017 Getaway Cruise:

-to start, the only reason we did not book X is that we have been on Reflection and Eclipse several times and the itinerary they offered was one we have done frequently We have upcoming longer cruises booked with X and Princess.

-we wanted a 'bonus' drink package. Outside of X only NCL and HAL offered these for our dates. Excluding water is cheap but the 15 buck drink limit is generous more so than HAL or X even with premium package. 18% grat added as extra cost is cheap approach IMHO better to have a lower drink limit and offer a premium upgrade including bottled water(for those who like the pay for what you want approach) while including grats.

-Vibe at 99 week is not a bad deal and clearly an extra option above and beyond what a cruise passenger should expect. Sanctuary on Princess (the only thing I can compare to) is twice as much money

-7.95 room service charge- kind of a money grab that other lines do not follow as far as I know. That said others are charging for pizza and hot selection of breakfast is not always the norm- I will reserve judgement until seeing room service in action

-private isle Harvest Caye- would be disappointed if drinks from UBP not included but who knows at this point. A new destination especially with pool is very welcome

- not sure frankly how much specialty dining is but I plan to try it and I believe it competitively priced with Princess and HAL. While good X specialty dining is very expensive 35-50pp. Adding grat as extra is again

questionable in my mind. Why not include it in extra charge- you have to pay it anyway.

-we have spa balcony and am looking forward to spa use. Aqua class on X is similar but the spas are frankly somewhat limited in features

-my main concerns on NCL are- more crowded ships especially pool areas

small balcony and cabin ( we will see when we get there). Longer dining wait times if we do not make resv, (we experienced on Jade and Epic

-positives -new itinerary, newer ship, hopefully a more exciting spa experience than X, better entertainment options?

So much of this has to be experienced to make a 'final' judgement.

At the end of the day we booked our cruise with the positives in mind. The

'nickle and dime' comments I started this post with are certainly concerns

but not to imply that cost of bottled water or room service charges blind us assessing the overall value of NCL.

My HAL CC is contacting me with pricing for a cruise on their latest ship leaving the same days and we will make a decision on which represents the greatest value for us. I can say if it was not for the 'additional cost' issues I identified in my post as concerns, I would have not have looked at alternative options before final payment. Happy cruising to everyone.

-

It's a damn shame you can't voice your opinion any longer without people flaming you, criticizing you or telling you go look for another cruise line. I am platinum on NCL and next May will be my 15th cruise on NCL. Over the years things have changed and not all of them are for the better.

Thank you for voicing your opinion and I appreciate your common sense approach.

Tom

It's a damn shame you can't voice your opinion any longer without people flaming you, criticizing you or telling you go look for another cruise line. I am platinum on NCL and next May will be my 15th cruise on NCL. Over the years things have changed and not all of them are for the better.

Thank you for voicing your opinion and I appreciate your common sense approach.

Tom

Thanks for the post of support. I am hoping that I will be able to post a glowing post after our cruise.

Rinse and repeat.

I appreciate your comments. We are not water "snobs" but are used to bottled water as part of the drink packages for other cruiselines.

We will probably just bite the bullet and buy a case of water from NCL which will probably serve to reinforce the idea that their management has made a brilliant marketing decision and have been able to sell a 7 dollar case of water (if that) for 50 bucks. Adding insult to injury there is an 18% grat for this purchase.

I want to save money as much as the next person but the concept that some/many passengers are 'smuggling' empty water bottles onboard just reinforces in my mind the short sighted NCL approach. JMHO

Read this article. Thanks for posting. I understand that restaurant venues will not be 'free' and I am fine with that. I also would not expect free drinks in these partnership venues. For the beach area and pool I would think NCL would step it up and offer drinks as part of the UDP. Since the article refers to food only and there remains confusion from NCL on this (what else is new) I guess we will have to wait and see.

So you are correct I apologize I called them and they told me its LIKE a private island experience however we will have to pay for our food and drinks! Disappointed big time! I asked if its a tender and he couldn't answer he said he doesn't know! So since we paid for the UBP and cruise I will be going back to the ship to eat and drink!!! So disappointed :-(

Wait a second....I was on the Norwegian Gem about a month ago (sigh) wish I was going back. We went to a few of the Discussions about what is next for NCL and about booking another cruise while on board HIGHLY recommend doing that. Super easy and you get a GREAT DEAL! However, this is THEIR Private Island, it is not "like a Private Island Experience" it is NCL's. There is no tendering as this is what makes this really great, you will be able to walk right off the ship.

Now, not sure whom you are speaking with, but I am quite surprised unless they are new and that could happen they did not read up on their homework.....but the drinks are included, now they are building a restaurant, not sure if it will be a Margaritaville or some form of a chain so THAT might not be included but all the other bars and such will be as it is similar to Great Stirrup Cay.

I agree completely, We don't spend extra unless we want to. Our extras may be an excursion here or there, we never take the drink package we are ok with the water we get on board and unsweetened ice tea, we don't drink a whole lot of alcohol except maybe a cocktail or two here and there, We don't take the dining package because we like the MDR. Every now and then we may go to a specialty restaurant but as Platinum we use our certificate. We never feel we are nickel and dimed is all about CHOICE. We pay for our cruise and i think NCL probably gets annoyed with us for not spending a whole lot LOL.....They only big expenditure is the spa pass and that is about it. :D...

We also agree with you. We are comfortable eating in the MDR, buffet, or other complimentary venues. As a platinum, we get the certificate for a specialty restaurant. My husband doesn't drink alcohol at all, and I'll only have one or two drinks, which makes it hardly worth getting the UBP.

We do book ship trips in ports where we'll be pressed for time. In Bermuda, where we'll be there for three days, we get around on the public buses and ferries.

We will need to buy bottled water on board, because we don't want to drink from the bathroom tap, or keep filling and rinsing sports bottles. We never use room service.

Yes, we only pay for what we need, so don't feel nickeled and dimed.

I appreciate your comments. We are not water "snobs" but are used to bottled water as part of the drink packages for other cruiselines.

We will probably just bite the bullet and buy a case of water from NCL which will probably serve to reinforce the idea that their management has made a brilliant marketing decision and have been able to sell a 7 dollar case of water (if that) for 50 bucks. Adding insult to injury there is an 18% grat for this purchase.

I want to save money as much as the next person but the concept that some/many passengers are 'smuggling' empty water bottles onboard just reinforces in my mind the short sighted NCL approach. JMHO

I totally agree it's madness :)

But if I can avoid paying extortionate prices for bottled water I will!

Even the prices on land (extortionate as they were) were still cheaper than buying on the boat.

What is the difference in bringing an empty water bottle onboard or a refillable Teva or Brita bottle that they fill onboard the ship? Some like to carry a water bottle and some, like me (I've done this way before the no water on the ship policy was inacted), have no issues with another kind of refillable container. Not sure how NCL is being short sighted because folks have no issue drinking the ship's water.

What is the difference in bringing an empty water bottle onboard or a refillable Teva or Brita bottle that they fill onboard the ship? Some like to carry a water bottle and some, like me (I've done this way before the no water on the ship policy was inacted), have no issues with another kind of refillable container. Not sure how NCL is being short sighted because folks have no issue drinking the ship's water.

As long as you're not putting the mouthpiece (that you mouth has been all over) straight up against the drinks spout (totally gross!)

There shouldn't be any issues.

It's surprising how many people do this though. Gross!

Edited by Delmol

As long as you're not putting the mouthpiece (that you mouth has been all over) straight up against the drinks spout (totally gross!)

There shouldn't be any issues.

It's surprising how many people do this though. Gross!

I've taken refillable water containers on my cruises for years. I've always filled them with water glasses, even though I've received snarky comments from some that say I should fill it from the faucet, because it is faster and they wouldn't have to wait for me to finish. NCL needs to make sure that folks are not filling them from the faucet or get water bottle dispensers where folks can fill their water bottles.

BTW, if I see someone filling their water bottle with the faucet, I will call over a server (right in front of the offending passenger) and ask that they clean the faucet, so germs will not be transported from one passenger to another and also ask that they explain to the offending passenger why you don't fill right from the faucet. I also do the same thing when people use their hands at the buffet and could care less if it embarrasses these folks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

"I am one who believes in getting the cruise I booked and I don't accept the rapid fire changes NCL management is making in their attempts to wrest extra dollars from their guests.

We all are capable of making our own decisions about what is acceptable to us, so I have diverted most of my cruising budget to other lines."

I also agree with these thoughts am staying away from NCL till they stop these rapid fire changes!

Dan

I've never had staff so much as bat an eyelid.

Just came back from the Norwegian Spirit last week, I was doing this for the whole cruise in full view of staff - never had a problem.

Your mileage may vary I suppose.

Completely false. Some "the sky is falling" people see the signs and think that means it's not allowed. What it means is that you need to use a glass to fill your bottle, instead of putting your nasty germy bottle against the dispenser. Same as it's always been.

Guess I wasn't clear with my post-- I meant that I'd heard that you cannot bring an empty water bottle on board with you.

My Epic cruise this Summer proved 3 things to me -

1) NCL food and entertainment were good , better then I expected .

2) No such thing as a less then good Mediterranean cruise .

3) NCL is a nickle and dime cruiseline and that comes direct from upper management

We, like you, have been away from NCL for a while, we tried X a few years ago and have loved it. That being said, we had a fcc that was set to expire in November, so we are sailing on the Escape just before it does. Not having water included in the UBP seems so silly, but that is their policy. Price wise our cruise on NCL is about $500 less per person than an X cruise, so with the price difference that will certainly pay for any water not included in the UBP. We keep seeing wonderful reviews for the Escape and are excited to try them again :)

I assume using the fcc brings the cruise on NCL to $500 less then Celebrity . Fine because otherwise I'd certainly go with Celebrity . Thinking about it a $500 discount is about the number where NCL might be my choice . Maybe .

"I am one who believes in getting the cruise I booked and I don't accept the rapid fire changes NCL management is making in their attempts to wrest extra dollars from their guests.

We all are capable of making our own decisions about what is acceptable to us, so I have diverted most of my cruising budget to other lines."

I also agree with these thoughts am staying away from NCL till they stop these rapid fire changes!

Dan

Good for you ! My advise to all , including myself , is by all means consider Norwegian IF the price is low enough . Edited by richstowe

We are going on our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway in March. Reading the nickel and dime comments had me reconsidering as well, but after some head to head comparison with other cruise lines (even Carnival!) sailing the same itinerary from the same general area... NCL was still the better deal.

That said, the Free at Sea is what makes the value. If NCL got rid of it I would not be a repeat customer, so I'm hesitant to buy future cruise credits on board even though we plan on cruising annually.

Harvest Caye all the food is free and the booze as well if you have the UBP I asked this when I called and booked my cruise.

Not the case. I was in a meeting with NCL when they did the public release of information on this port and the presenter, attempting to avoid the question, came out and said that the individual vendors at the port would be charging you and that there are zero options for complimentary beverages or food there. I was waiting for him to tell us there was a fee for the chairs, but the didn't come out.

It also appeared as though anyone who wanted to do an excursion had to book it with the cruise line as there was no way out of the port to meet up with anyone, and no one could come there.

I will find the ppt slide for reference when time permits.

Edited by mtsnd1900

Guess I wasn't clear with my post-- I meant that I'd heard that you cannot bring an empty water bottle on board with you.

I've never had any issues with getting empty bottles on board.

It's only full bottles they care about, and they'll just ask you to either drink or dispose of the water before getting on board.

Security isn't that tight, I've walked straight through on-board security with 2 large bottles of spirits in my bag before and not been stopped - so I wouldn't worry about empty bottles.