The smell from this popcorn shop was intoxicating

30201470056_404dc79724_b.jpg

A cool shop window

29606842643_7a73c436ba_b.jpg

and another

30121389802_caabd720cb_b.jpg

I'm back to the train station now as a train prepares to leave

29606849213_6c8900b9b2_b.jpg

Bob, good to see you pop up in one of my rambles again. I usually say "never too late" but eventually, when finished, this begins it's journey from page one to the oblivion of page 25 and beyond where only someone in a deep water submersible (probably the movie director James Cameron) can see it. Luckily for me it's in my signature so anything I write on CC will help me get back to it in the future (if we have one come November)

Where are you going on the Star?

Cheers!

Norris

Norris

This time we are heading back to Mexico on a 10 day round trip out of San Pedro.

Since this will be our 4th trip down there, this cruise is more about the ship then the destination.

We set this up for a relaxing vacation for the Wife who is just coming off from cataract surgery so she does need some quite time.

I showed the Wife your outstanding Photos of Alaska and then told her since we seen them we can cancel our Alaska Cruise next year and I can spend the money on a new camera and lens system.

Well, its been an hour and I think the bruises will go away in about a week, so we will be going to Alaska on the Ruby next may.:D

Bob

Do you know where the Star docked in Skagway? (and do they stay consistent year to year or cruise to cruise?)

What about the dock in Juneau - I know one of the docks makes for a LONG walk... so wondered about timing, walk or shuttle, etc...

wow! I must go there! my kind of town

I've only walked it early in the morning when I have it to myself. I love quiet walks and it's a very small flat town so easy to stroll.

There is an airfield just a few blocks off this main street, which I think is called Broadway. From the ship I saw small planes descend amongst the trees and as there was no explosion and ball of flame I deduced there was an airfield.

There's a great aerial photo of the town on the Skagway Wikipedia page.

Norris

Do you know where the Star docked in Skagway? (and do they stay consistent year to year or cruise to cruise?)

What about the dock in Juneau - I know one of the docks makes for a LONG walk... so wondered about timing, walk or shuttle, etc...

I've docked on a Princess ship in Skagway and it's always been the same-we dock by the steep rock walls where the train tracks run alongside.

Folks on the Pearl had to make their way over here for their train ride.

We have the longer walk into town.

Juneau-the Norwegian Pearl had the longest walk to the town center. The Amsterdam the shortest. (see the aerial photos I took)

Hope this helps,

Norris

Norris

This time we are heading back to Mexico on a 10 day round trip out of San Pedro.

Since this will be our 4th trip down there, this cruise is more about the ship then the destination.

We set this up for a relaxing vacation for the Wife who is just coming off from cataract surgery so she does need some quite time.

I showed the Wife your outstanding Photos of Alaska and then told her since we seen them we can cancel our Alaska Cruise next year and I can spend the money on a new camera and lens system.

Well, its been an hour and I think the bruises will go away in about a week, so we will be going to Alaska on the Ruby next may.:D

Bob

Bob, have you been reading Singinalot's stellar photo review of her Crown Princess Mexico cruise out of San Pedro?

My guess is you may be sleeping on the sofa for a while...

A new camera and lenses is always a good idea. I just wish I had taken the plunge much sooner.

More ship coming up soon!

Norris

So forget me showing you the Starbucks opposite the train station as I can't find it in my photos or video. Was it just a dream?

Anyway it's bizarre in that it is in a jewelry store! The jewelry staff weren't there yet but I got myself a quad espresso and sat on a bench outside the train station.

It wasn't just a dream! Found the photo on my phone....

30226609626_b1e2efea39_b.jpg

As you saw from the clock there it's 8.15 and I have to meet Carol at the entrance to the Port Canaveral/Portofino/Positano dining room on the ship at 8.55 as they close the doors at 9 a.m.

So after my coffee I walked back to the ship again, showing my cruise card to gain access to the dock then access to the ship. There were 2 crew members on the aerial lift painting the side of the hull as it was prophesied.

Our excursion isn't until after noon so we have time to breakfast at our leisure and then putz and potter around for a while.

You can't come into the dining room with us as we don't share tables so while we are eating here's a video clip from last night in Juneau harbor where there is a fabulous yacht called the Invictus. If after watching it you are keen to charter it here's a link offering an overview of the boat....

http://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/editorial-features/invictus-delta-s-made-in-america-65-5m-superyacht-is-designed-for-world-domination--171

Here's the video clip

[YOUTUBE]bNQzvTlREM4[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

We look forward to our MDR breakfast treats. We sit at different tables each day-whatever two-top they lead us to. Different waiters.

Fruit plates for both

29630321683_640461f0f0_b.jpg

I added a hash brown and a hidden sausage to my usual pancakes, bacon and ham

29630323633_ea094f0ae4_b.jpg

Carol had a ham and cheese omelet again.

As usual, soon after 9 Captain Tuvo came around to wave, say hi, smile and chat to the diners. I had the entire hash brown in my mouth width-wise and so it looked like I was smiling from across the room-he smiled back.

After breakfast we parted ways as Carol went back to the room to update her notes and Patter-read and I went up on deck to snap a few shots.

In the elevator lobby on deck 14 midships there is this cool piece of artwork

29629527704_11c9975a91_b.jpg

Deck 14-Lido deck-pool with the Tradewinds bar on the deck above. The Pizzeria, Ice cream stand and Trident Grill are on this deck but don't open until 11 a.m

30174835911_b3e9faced1_b.jpg

The Star's Rock Climbing Wall, on the deck just above the Cannonball diving board and the Electric Chair simulator

30174843261_cfe09c796b_b.jpg

It replaced the former "Crew Flogging Zone" at the last dry dock.

The indoor pool which has a sliding roof for warm weather cruising

29629579024_462fb3f852_b.jpg

Table tennis fun above the pool on a mezzanine floor

30144927352_6a55966aa8_b.jpg

The Sea Witch logo on the massive funnel assembly

30260314255_a6a289a14f_b.jpg

Hi Norris,

Just a quick interruption to tell you how much I am enjoying your commentary and your photos and GoPro videos are truly amazing!! I've done the Alaskan cruise twice (once as a small child of 6) and as you've said repeatedly, there are never too many times to see Alaska. I think it's back on my bucket list...and combine the land portion this time. But a must is the dog sledding!!!!! That was unbelievable!! Thanks again for all your hard work (and thanks for travelling so much so you can write these wonderful blogs!).

Cheers,

Tracy

Edited by Sadebud

Under the Skywalkers Peoplemover is a kiddie pool

30260327025_5a13b6c1f0_b.jpg

As there weren't many kids on board the nearby bar to cater for parents wasn't open. It's the Oasis bar.

29963613940_e40743edec_b.jpg

A pool for the parents (or any adult)

29963618390_b9a450a3f0_b.jpg

and let's not forget the aft pool for adults only!

29963623340_e6daa737ca_b.jpg

Crew were down there sanding and varnishing the wooden bleachers above the pool today.

29963629770_9dccc7ebb2_b.jpg

There's a hot tub under cover on the kids deck too

29963635580_4394c9360a_b.jpg

I doubt if any ship of its size can boast as many pools on its deck as a Grand Class vessel. Not shown this time is the Lotus pool forward by the Spa and Sanctuary

Hi Norris,

Just a quick interruption to tell you how much I am enjoying your commentary and your photos and GoPro videos are truly amazing!! I've done the Alaskan cruise twice (once as a small child of 6) and as you've said repeatedly, there are never too many times to see Alaska. I think it's back on my bucket list...and combine the land portion this time. But a must is the dog sledding!!!!! That was unbelievable!! Thanks again for all your hard work (and thanks for travelling so much so you can write these wonderful blogs!).

Cheers,

Tracy

Hi Tracy, I'm glad you are enjoying the read and the photos/video. I love the Go Pro as a small tool that can go anywhere and get footage I would be reluctant to use the Sony camera for. I bought it to get Segway shots when we were in Puerto Rico on the Silhouette and am so glad I did. It leaves my hands free and can get wet. I use it when we visit the glaciers soon.

Someday we'll take a Cruisetour or we'll fly to Anchorage and rent a car and go exploring when the weather's good. We love the ship experience though and never having to worry about finding a good place to eat. It's #1 on the bucket list.

Today the subject of Norway came up over lunch. Then Carol asked me about South America. Norway from Southampton can be done in 7 days with a couple of London days before and one after.

Tickets for Wagner in Bayreuth of course take precedence each year but we'll know if we have them by March.

At the end of this month we have to pay for the X Reflection, which will become more real at that time. I will enjoy reviewing that fantastic ship.

Keep popping in!

Norris

Norris the climbing wall, diving board and electric chair simulator seem like an anachronism for Princess don't they? More fitting of Carnival or Royal Caribbean? ;)

Barky, you have to be competitive in the Cruising industry. That's why Princess are going to try out waiters in Dodgem cars in the MDR and the girls on roller skates in the Wheelhouse Bar delivering drinks.

Sabatini's converting to Hooters I believe is a concept on hold for the moment.

Also "iffy" for now is the Humiliation Bar where the mixologist pours 8 Martinis at once and then drinks them all, after you've paid for them.

Princess is not short of ideas.

Norris

A beautiful planet

Peace and harmony ?

We're on board Norris , Joe

:cool:

Joe! Welcome. Pat! welcome.

Thanks for stepping aboard!

Of the planets I have been to Earth takes the cake! They don't even have cake on the planet I come from!

Did you (or anyone) recognize the song lyric that titled that post? (Look through any window). Name that band...

Norris

Joe! Welcome. Pat! welcome.

Thanks for stepping aboard!

Of the planets I have been to Earth takes the cake! They don't even have cake on the planet I come from!

Did you (or anyone) recognize the song lyric that titled that post? (Look through any window). Name that band...

Norris

Of course , Steve Miller Band , Fly like an Eagle 1976 , the year Pat and I met !! :) :D

Of course , Steve Miller Band , Fly like an Eagle 1976 , the year Pat and I met !! :) :D

Oh, not familiar with that one.

I had the Hollies 1965 single in mind.

Norris

Ooohhhhh when are you doing the Reflection?

Hi again- January 14th in an corner aft Sky suite to Cozumel, Labadee, Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Falmouth , Jamaica.

We have to look at excursions soon which is always fun.

We are staying in a Marriott Beach resort on the water in Miami, before and after.

Norris

What a marvelous review! I am enjoying the adventure as I read along with the rest, and you have increased the anticipation for our trip next August as we go a little nuts! We are taking the Coral north from Vancouver, a week in Denali/Anchorage and then the Star south back to Vancouver. After all, a week is never really enough time for Alaska, right? And since we have waited this long (celebrating a combination of our 35th anniversary and our special needs son's 21st birthday) we may as well do it up right! Loving your photos and video's, I will have to show them to my son, as he is my photographer wanna be. We live in Idaho, and photographing wildlife IN the wild instead of zoo's is one of his dreams. What better place than Alaska. Thank you for sharing such an in depth view!

Nancy if he is reading along with you hopefully all he sees will help sway him-or does he only look at things you show him?

I'm still a day or two away from the glacier pics but the ones on the first page should give you an idea of what's ahead. I took a lot of photos in Skagway and then a lot on the train. Skagway comes up next.

Norris

Norris, I carefully select the pictures I show Barry! I only show him the ones I think will make him want to go. Otherwise showing him pictures would likely backfire on me! :eek: He does like trains, so I'll have to be sure to show him the train pictures. :D I want to be sure he knows that there are a lot of things to do in Alaska he really will enjoy. I know he will enjoy Alaska once I convince him to go there. I do not want him to start off dreading the trip. I want him to be happy and excited about going as opposed to feeling like it is something I forced him into doing.

Oh, not familiar with that one.

I had the Hollies 1965 single in mind.

Norris

I think I'm going to have to start getting here earlier in my day if I'm ever going to win a freezer full of moose for getting the correct answer! I was all set to say Hollies, but then saw you beat me to it. I guess that's what I get for being a late night owl.