Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

We are docked in Juneau at 7.30 a.m and not rushing off the ship until 12.30 so a leisurely breakfast in Portofino is in order. Table for two only please.

Carol's melon plate

29866189630_c630d79ea6_b.jpg

and her latte with an extra shot of espresso, paid using a Coffee Card

29866197210_fb984c8802_b.jpg

She also had an Apple muffin and a Ham and Cheddar Omelet with an English Muffin not shown

My Oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar with a side order of toast and marmalade

30161648115_b88b83f177_b.jpg

I see a chocolate croissant there too. Fuel for the day ahead.

As we have time on our hands I decide to start using my 150 free Internet Minutes (an Elite perk) to check CC and read some email. I do this in the Internet Cafe/Library which is cosy . Carol reads Facebook and works on her trip notes up in our cabin.

While we're browsing away here is the video from this morning. It's too long for what it is but there's always the fast forward slider.

[YOUTUBE]Lf33gjpmae0[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

Norris,

I came upon your review a bit late, but have read it all now. Fabulous as usual. I particularly enjoyed the eagle pictures. Seeing eagles was the highlight of our cruises to Alaska. Reading your review makes me think that maybe it is time to go again.

Ohiodoglover

Norris,

Thank you so much for your in depth review! I love how you and Carol partake in separate activities.

May I ask, since you note Carol Facebooking in your cabin, if internet is easily acquired while you/she were in your cabin...or must you stand in the hall? I just want to make sure I don't ever assume I can hand you an empty food tray from our cabin.

I enjoy sending family and friends emails of my travels on a day to day basis and was wondering if I might be able to do that from my Star cabin, booked one deck directly below yours.

Hanging on your every word, photo, and video. Thanks for all your information and the time you contribute in this fabulous review!

Norris,

Thank you so much for your in depth review! I love how you and Carol partake in separate activities.

May I ask, since you note Carol Facebooking in your cabin, if internet is easily acquired while you/she were in your cabin...or must you stand in the hall? I just want to make sure I don't ever assume I can hand you an empty food tray from our cabin.

I enjoy sending family and friends emails of my travels on a day to day basis and was wondering if I might be able to do that from my Star cabin, booked one deck directly below yours.

Hanging on your every word, photo, and video. Thanks for all your information and the time you contribute in this fabulous review!

Hi and welcome aboard!

The Internet signal in the cabin was sluggish and Carol tells me that to download her newspapers (usually NT Times and Wall Street Journal) she would go to the Princess Theater when it wasn't being used and work from there. It was a 15 minute download (she timed it) whereas at home (Wi Fi from our call company RCN) it takes about 1 minute. In port she used our Verizon account on her phone and had good results.

I have had some success, speed-wise, by sitting in the Internet Cafe, alone with a sea view. I take my laptop but they have computers you can use. It's trial and error on the ship really. Just take your laptop for a walk and find somewhere nice to sit that has a livable speed.

We partake in separate activities on the ship as we like different things. My thing is wandering listlessly around the ship taking photos and then sitting down for a smoke and a beer and talking to strangers, none of which are within Carol's bailiwick. Carol loves the lectures (and they are good as I stick my head in the door for a few minutes and listen) and fruit and ice carving demos. I like those too but don't go out of my way to see them as I have worked on a cruise ship and seen a lot of them. They are great for what they are though and typical cruise ship things-like champagne waterfalls and parading around with Baked Alaska. I like anything that happens on a cruise ship which is alien to my Chicago experience. Cruise ships are their own world and that's why I love them so much. I see smiling faces and I hear laughter and that's the kind of milieu I like to move in.

It's always nice for me to see a new Screen Name pop in with a comment or a question.

Thanks for following along.

If you like my review style then you should read my Celebrity Silhouette one which is closing in on 200,000 page reads and features a truly stunning ship. I "met" many good X people through that.

Norris

Norris,

Just wanted to pop in from the lurkdom shadows to say how much I am enjoying your review! Your pics are so wonderful, it's almost like being there with you and Carol!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this!

Marty in AL

Marty- you are most welcome- pull up a chair.

I'm glad you like the pics. That's very gratifying.

Needless to say you are about to see more..

Norris

Norris,

I came upon your review a bit late, but have read it all now. Fabulous as usual. I particularly enjoyed the eagle pictures. Seeing eagles was the highlight of our cruises to Alaska. Reading your review makes me think that maybe it is time to go again.

Ohiodoglover

Well if you are a dog lover you are in for a treat (soon)!

It is always time to go to Alaska again. I'd love to spend more time there, I really would. I have Deadliest Catch and Living Alaska on my DVR. It's unique.

I cropped one of my telephoto shots of an eagle (one that was flying a second or two before) just for you (so everyone else put your hands over your eyes and no peeking).

29550516713_c567aa2406_b.jpg

* This is why I used a Canon L Lens!

The eagle was like a speck in some greenery to my eye without the lens.

Cheers! And thanks for stopping in!

Norris

back from my cruise and finally getting the chance to finish reading :)

Yikes! In the time I have been writing a day of my cruise you have actually done one! I must take that speed typing class... (note to self)

Oh, well, onward and upward. Lots more to come!

Was your cruise magnificent? I hope so.

Great to see you here again!

Norris

Right, we are off the ship and there were no photographers in Gold Miner garb at the gangway (they tell me they usually do the first couple of hours of disembarkation and then split.)

We are on the dock but no one is seen to be holding up our tour number so I spend a few minutes taking photos while Carol warms up a thoughtfully placed bench.

29866215800_cb0b03ea50_b.jpg

Here's a sign I saw in each port-a sign of the times

29533135074_ac3a503ea2_b.jpg

A Mighty Cruise Ship

30077364871_01d915a4d0_b.jpg

The shabby waterline tells me it's time for a dry dock and a lick of fresh paint

29866221450_3d9384c19f_b.jpg

After 10 minutes a teenage girl appears and points us towards a white bus- one of those small, short ones as there are only 8 of us partaking of this excursion.

Loaded up and comfy as a female driver who also drives in the Grand Canyon and other National Parks during the rest of the year sets us in motion out of town on its one 37 mile road. After a couple of miles we stop and indicate left.

We turn into a Private Road, narrow enough to warrant her calling ahead to see if there is another vehicle coming. The coast is clear and we start climbing a twisty dirt road, up past the Gold Mine attraction (that's another tour) and up into misty mountains until we come to the summer dog camp. There is a sheer drop to the trees below from the tight road. We had a good driver!

It took us about 25 minutes to get up there but you can get there by clicking on my next post...

I didn't expect there to be 100 dogs in one place. I thought a couple of dozen.

The different doghouse colors represent the various owners who bring their dogs here to train in the summer. All the dogs were quiet! Yep- you heard, or rather didn't hear.

29866224130_b24033ee3f_b.jpg

The tour features dogs from the Green Houses (not the kind where you grow tomatoes-I refer to the color). They belong to an Iditarod driver who brings them from their home in Colorado to summer here. His name was (probably still is) Alan Stevens, a 25 year old Texan who entered his first race and came in 56th in 2015 taking 12 days with 10 dogs. The winner Dallas Seavey, won in 8 days 18 hours.

A very passionate and genial man-Alan Stevens

30161688185_1d47d3ca8a_b.jpg

1,049 miles through the cold and the snow and much of it in the dark...

29533132013_fe97007acc_b.jpg

Spending an hour with this man was exhilarating. He isn't rolling in money. He is happy to be doing something he just discovered a few years ago when he came to Juneau and got a job as the pooper-scooper at such a dog camp. Luckily he likes dogs and liked what he saw when watching mushers doing their thing. It became his thing and an all-consuming passion, so the money isn't paramount.

He gets paid for the tours and of course it was impossible not to tip him (neither of us are shabby churls when it comes to rewarding excellence and in his case, helping him buy some dog food.)

Carol bends to pet and take a photo of the dog who will be leading the team.

Her name is Abigail and she is 12 years old. Running next to her up front will be her daughter Link. They are taught the directional commands (left, right, stop, go) and the other dogs follow.

30161660235_54f26ea6e3_b.jpg

30161661715_0aeb415e9d_b.jpg

It is always time to go to Alaska again. I'd love to spend more time there, I really would. I have Deadliest Catch and Living Alaska on my DVR. It's unique.

I cropped one of my telephoto shots of an eagle (one that was flying a second or two before) just for you (so everyone else put your hands over your eyes and no peeking).

Norris

Sorry - I peeked! Just couldn't help myself! That is the most wonderful photo of an eagle. Thank you so much for posting your fabulous photos and review.

I'm thinking "where are the cute Huskies?"

Well, these are they-these lean mangy-looking creatures. These dogs spend no time per week in the Pet Salon, getting their hair blown dry and their teeth flossed. These dogs are all about endurance. Your dog can run right? Tail wagging, tongue hanging out as he bags another frisbee.

These animals can run too-but for 8 hours!! (then 8 hours rest) And they are pulling-in our case- an 800 lb aluminum sled with 10 people (8 paying tourists and the driver and a joyrider from the camp). Maybe 2500 pounds load?

Think about that.

I'm loving the location. It's damp, the air is damp from the mists and I expect a little rain, yet eschew, like Carol, the plastic poncho offered, as I have my Eddie Bauer yellow rainproof jacket on and I see that the sleds we will ride in have a canopy.

30077375591_4068597baa_b.jpg

The dogs for this run are chosen and brought forth. They know that once they are harnessed there is going to be a run-and it's going to be fun! Beats being on a chain outside of a doghouse. Wow! The humans have cameras! Look your best guys!!

29866231010_3597bbf216_b.jpg

30161667005_9206e5a4b2_b.jpg

29866236460_4da157e7a8_b.jpg

The sled ride I shot on the Go Pro using the wrist attachment and that will follow later. Here's some setting the scene footage from the Sony HD cam where you get to see Alan introduce his dogs.

[YOUTUBE]vFXoBD-vm2Q[/YOUTUBE]

I wish you could all have been there for what's about to follow...

Norris

Sorry - I peeked! Just couldn't help myself! That is the most wonderful photo of an eagle. Thank you so much for posting your fabulous photos and review.

Hi, and thanks for coming by. Welcome.

To highlight the excellence of this 70-200mm L Lens here's the original shot I took it from...

29698173230_9325aa3e82_b.jpg

Again I say...Thank You Canon!

Norris, thanking you for enjoying this and saying so.

All Lurkers are Welcome!

We visited a sled dog camp on our excursion out of Skagway (a private bus tour that went up to the Yukon, Emerald Lake, and lots of other places) and the dogs would get sooooooo excited when it was their turn to pull a cart. Just amazing. Playing with the puppies was fun too, since we were not back in time to see the ones they brought onto the ship.

Norris,

Thanks for the eagle close up! And, the dogs pics. I called our two over to watch with me. They were more interested in petting than watching. One of ours would enjoy being a sled dog; she is currently contemplating a career change from squirrel patrol by sleeping on my foot. (The other one would ride in the sled and organize.)

Ohiodoglover

We're up in the mountains in Juneau and the dogs have been harnessed to the "sled" for our run. The run would be the highlight of their day and ours and something I don't think we have ever done in Chicago.

The Go Pro camera was strapped to my wrist and luckily I was the first to reach the sled and bag a front seat, otherwise the wrist mount wouldn't have worked so well- I would have had to hold the camera aloft in my hand to get over heads in front. I didn't attach the waterproof back to the camera as that muffles the sound and I wanted natural sound.

It drizzled and although there was a canopy above the rain poured over the edge where Carol and I were sitting so I had to put my Canon camera away at one point but forgot to turn the Go Pro off and I am glad I didn't as it kept the dogs in the frame.

A couple of the dogs started fighting before the off but were separated. One of those dogs urinated on the other after the skirmish, the equivalent of a writer's emphatic exclamation point! All the other dogs began barking such was the charged atmosphere.

There was no "Mush!" command. The word "Alright" was the code to get them charging forward to a cruising speed of 10 m.p.h. You'll notice that they all have the same thing on their mind when Alan stops them for the first time-made us chuckle.

The ride lasted about 18 minutes but it was fun. I have split the video into Parts I and II.

Here's part I....

[YOUTUBE]tNH14_rajdc[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

Norris

Absolutely stunning...........so crisp and clear.

Norris,

Thanks for the eagle close up! And, the dogs pics. I called our two over to watch with me. They were more interested in petting than watching. One of ours would enjoy being a sled dog; she is currently contemplating a career change from squirrel patrol by sleeping on my foot. (The other one would ride in the sled and organize.)

Ohiodoglover

Good morning Ohio!

I'm glad you appreciated the eagle close up. I am a novice at using Photoshop which I rent bundled with Lightroom which is a tool I can't live without now. The close up was only my 2nd crop experiment and it worked.

I'm hoping you are watching the sled video as I type and that your two dogs are watching too and getting inspired. The dogs did seem to love running and were impatient to be off again each time we stopped. I'm sure it beats being chained to a kennel.

We don't have dogs as we live in a loft in Chicago. I wouldn't want a dog to be sitting on a couch all day bored just to get out for a short while to use the toilet in public. I'd say half the people in this building have dogs as I meet them in the elevator daily. If we lived in the country or in our house in Michigan we would have the beach and woods to take long walks with the dog and let him experience the outdoors to the full as our neighbors there do. Here most of the dogs are out for 10 minutes on a leash and I see many of the walkers reading their phones during that time, rather than interacting with the dog.

Cats are fine with being indoors as they spend half their day snoozing on a couch or in a basket (or cardboard box) and they don't need to be taken outside to use the toilet. So we have a cat. I had both dogs and cats when I was a child. The dogs were small-Yorkshire Terrier and later West Highland Terrier as the house was small too. There are people here with Afghans and Irish Wolfhounds! In apartments....yikes.

I'm glad you are reading along as this slowly unfolds.

Cheers,

Norris

We visited a sled dog camp on our excursion out of Skagway (a private bus tour that went up to the Yukon, Emerald Lake, and lots of other places) and the dogs would get sooooooo excited when it was their turn to pull a cart. Just amazing. Playing with the puppies was fun too, since we were not back in time to see the ones they brought onto the ship.

Hello again!

Hopefully the two videos will bring back memories for you.

We didn't go to see the dogs back on the ship but I came across one laying outside the Princess Theater being petted-very docile and friendly.

Libby Riddles was on board before we sailed and did a presentation in the theater, part of which I popped in to see. I take my hat off to her and any of the drivers in that grueling race. Alan said he averaged two hours sleep a night when he stopped to rest the dogs as he had to attend to their needs before his own.

He was running 10 dogs during the last leg-the finishers chart I googled gives detailed info on the various stages of the race and includes average speed for each team. Of the riders who didn't finish the first dropped out after only 7 hours. Alan kept going for 12 days....8 hours standing up and focusing on the dogs and the path ahead (it's marked with flags sticking up through the snow).

http://iditarod.com/race/2015/standings/

I'm just waiting for Youtube to load video 2 and then we'll proceed.

Did you get rain when you took the sled ride in Skagway?

Norris

Yes there are raindrops on the lens as we ride along. I guess it adds to the realism. There's no viewfinder on the Go Pro unless you use the app on your phone (which I have) but holding an iPhone and all the other cameras I was holding was out of the question. My priority was to see the run through my eyes and let the camera run. It was such a fun experience, rain or no.

We expect rain in Alaska. It just adds to the atmosphere. It makes everything greener and richer in color. It would be a real buzzkill if we were in the Caribbean.

So video #2 and at the end of this run we'll get back indoors and grab some hot chocolate.

The tethered dogs go nuts when we return to camp!

[YOUTUBE]ufpvfhUlSeo[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

This is a great video of the sled dogs, Norris! My dogs loved watching it and following along!

We're on the Star next year to Hawaii but I'm really enjoying seeing the pictures and adventures of the Star in Alaska. Someday I hope to get up North (but been to Vancouver and stayed near the cruise terminal also).

Barb

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well the doggies stopped rollin' after just a mile and a half of exercise. Alan normally takes them on a 40 mile run in the winter. It's too warm for them at this time of year to run that long as they would overheat. They like it cold.

They cooled off in that big puddle you just saw. Standing in water cools them off.

Back at the drizzly camp we visited a small group of sheds to learn more about the Iditarod experience from Alan over cups of hot chocolate and cookies.

The pot-bellied stove in each hut was much enjoyed by "Mr Toasty" (Me).

30077383951_ccba972675_b.jpg

Alan has to pay for and ship to each waypoint the supplies of food that he'll need for the dogs along the 1,049 miles they'll be covering (that's a boatload of Football Fields!). He also has to take a lot of snow booties to protect the dogs' feet and changes them daily. I think he started the race with 16 dogs times 4 feet per dog...it all adds up. The dogs get inspected by a vet at each stage of the race. Some can't continue.

This is an old sled. We'll see Alan's soon.

30077382081_c7df989c21_b.jpg

We move to the next hut

30161678115_e491997d43_b.jpg

He has a cooler attached to the rear of his sled-it acts as a seat to rest his legs and also keeps the raw meat at an edible temperature otherwise it would freeze.

30077393111_b0c60915e2_b.jpg

After the huts we went to see a puppy and I took my last photo of the camp before getting back on the bus as another tour group was arriving.

29533129803_c67a9dc073_b.jpg

I'll leave you with a photo taken as we set off on our ride. The dog leaping in the air is "Snickers" whom you may have seen doing the same thing in the video.

What a character! We bought the photo for $20 after the ride-Carol was the only one to make a purchase. She scanned this into an e mail for me.

30156877016_b6403803ed.jpg

Back on the bus!

Hi norris

another lurker coming out of the shadows!

I've read many of your review and always enjoy them.

I did find the pictures of the dog huts upsetting though. The conditions dont look very nice for all those poor dogs.

looking forward to the rest of your review

Frankie

Well the doggies stopped rollin' after just a mile and a half of exercise. Alan normally takes them on a 40 mile run in the winter. It's too warm for them at this time of year to run that long as they would overheat. They like it cold.

They cooled off in that big puddle you just saw. Standing in water cools them off.

Back at the drizzly camp we visited a small group of sheds to learn more about the Iditarod experience from Alan over cups of hot chocolate and cookies.

The pot-bellied stove in each hut was much enjoyed by "Mr Toasty" (Me).

[

Alan has to pay for and ship to each waypoint the supplies of food that he'll need for the dogs along the 1,049 miles they'll be covering (that's a boatload of Football Fields!). He also has to take a lot of snow booties to protect the dogs' feet and changes them daily. I think he started the race with 16 dogs times 4 feet per dog...it all adds up. The dogs get inspected by a vet at each stage of the race. Some can't continue.

This is an old sled. We'll see Alan's soon.

30077382081_c7df989c21_b.jpg

We move to the next hut

30161678115_e491997d43_b.jpg

He has a cooler attached to the rear of his sled-it acts as a seat to rest his legs and also keeps the raw meat at an edible temperature otherwise it would freeze.

30077393111_b0c60915e2_b.jpg

After the huts we went to see a puppy and I took my last photo of the camp before getting back on the bus as another tour group was arriving.

29533129803_c67a9dc073_b.jpg

I'll leave you with a photo taken as we set off on our ride. The dog leaping in the air is "Snickers" whom you may have seen doing the same thing in the video.

What a character! We bought the photo for $20 after the ride-Carol was the only one to make a purchase. She scanned this into an e mail for me.

30156877016_b6403803ed.jpg

Back on the bus!

Norris,

Great stuff! We always buy the photos of each excursion if we can. They're awesome mementos of wonderful times and the operators live off their sales. As usual, really enjoying this.:)

Trip

Edited by MisterMet