Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Hi norris

another lurker coming out of the shadows!

I've read many of your review and always enjoy them.

I did find the pictures of the dog huts upsetting though. The conditions dont look very nice for all those poor dogs.

looking forward to the rest of your review

Frankie

Hi and welcome Frankie. Double welcome to lurkers!

I think this is my 11th review including the comparison one. Collect the set!

I was surprised too at the kennels as I thought it would be a warm building indoors like I see at the animal shelters (we always buy abandoned cats and make their dreams come true).

However these are dogs used to cold weather and on the Iditarod are sleeping on the snow. None looked miserable as many yet undiscovered mistreated personal pets must*. They eat well and are investments so Vet care is provided.

The kennels looked a bit Spartan and I asked one of the dogs about the wooden structures-he was frank and honest and said " they are way better than I could make myself-give me a hammer, some wood and a bag of nails and within 5 minutes I will have accidentally nailed one of my paws to the floor".

I looked down and he had one of his paws wrapped in bandages so I think he was speaking from experience.

I'm happy to have you along and hope to hear from you again.

Norris

* I think people who mistreat animals or children are the lowest form of life and even moss looks down on them.

Very much enjoyed the videos Norris.

I am afraid I cannot go on this excursion bc I would want to bring all the dogs home with me. Think Princess would allow for that?

I, too agree, the unhuman people that harm, or even allow that idea to enter their head to do harm to innocent children or pets need to be lock under the ground and the key tossed in a fire hole to melt.

It just makes me sick to know these horrible people live among us everyday and everyplace.

Ok... whew, glad that is off my chest!

I do love your review. I know Carol is also a big part of keeping track with notes. Thank you both.

Sandra

Edited by nanabananna

Hello again!

Hopefully the two videos will bring back memories for you.

We didn't go to see the dogs back on the ship but I came across one laying outside the Princess Theater being petted-very docile and friendly.

Libby Riddles was on board before we sailed and did a presentation in the theater, part of which I popped in to see. I take my hat off to her and any of the drivers in that grueling race. Alan said he averaged two hours sleep a night when he stopped to rest the dogs as he had to attend to their needs before his own.

He was running 10 dogs during the last leg-the finishers chart I googled gives detailed info on the various stages of the race and includes average speed for each team. Of the riders who didn't finish the first dropped out after only 7 hours. Alan kept going for 12 days....8 hours standing up and focusing on the dogs and the path ahead (it's marked with flags sticking up through the snow).

http://iditarod.com/race/2015/standings/

I'm just waiting for Youtube to load video 2 and then we'll proceed.

Did you get rain when you took the sled ride in Skagway?

Norris

We did not take the dog cart ride, we just saw the dogs lined up, leaving, and returning, and heard their excitement when it was their turn. We have a Rhodesian ridgeback, and when she gets a yearn to run, it is like watching a small racehorse. She gets a lot of attention at the dog park.

It was not raining when we were there...a bit cool but I don't think it rained. In Juneau, on the other hand, it poured several times, including at sail-away as we pulled away (over 30 min late) just as a woman came running from a taxi cab. She re-joined the ship in Skagway.

Libby Riddles did a presentation on our ship as well, but we missed it in favor of the folkloric guy, who told stories, sang, and quoted Robert Service poems, but not as well as my dad.

Awesome, as usual, Norris. Yes, I'll confess to peeking at that cropped shot of the eagle! Love it!

I tried to get my cats to watch the dogsled video with me. They rolled their eyes, turned their heads, and went back to sleep. They're sprinters, so not so interested in a long run. I, however, enjoyed your video very much!

Back on the bus for the drive back to port and as there are only 8 of us I take a seat by myself so I can take photos through the window.

29533135583_102821b3ff_b.jpg

29533157144_ed1dd7ca7a_b.jpg

30161692915_fdf1d8fdf8_b.jpg

29533139883_9aaee7a791_b.jpg

29866259140_2bb61a8c88_b.jpg

Oh deer!

30161697535_3f53280e0c_b.jpg

30077408051_2b13c79dda_b.jpg

Back onto the main road

29533164954_0a0acf2fcb_b.jpg

I'm not ready to go back to the ship directly and ask to be let off so I can walk back along the dockside. Carol decides to follow suit.

30126917676_3377433657_b.jpg

30077412241_027fe170ed_b.jpg

Once off the bus Carol sees that we are right by the Mt Roberts Tramway. This is our third visit to Juneau in 5 years and we have never taken it and today we can see the summit so she tables a motion to go up there and the ayes have it.

Hi Norris

Phew!!! Caught up at last. Read your beautifully written and photographed travelogue on celebrity X (finished that two days ago) . I was disappointed to finish it and was addicted to your style and humour.

I was very excited to learn that you were in the process of "publishing" your next adventure back on Princess ,your first love.

I have lurked in the shadows long enough without congratulating you on the magnificent achievement your writings are.

I have cruised only twice before ,both times on Sun Princess to Alaska and the Caribbean and loved that ship.

Next week I set out on the Celebrity Eclipse to the Canaries. When I back I will have the remainder of your adventures to catch up on till I have the complete set.

My compliments

Ken

Norris, thanks for keeping on with the review. Our cats enjoyed the dog sled video as did we (they liked it because they saw dogs running away from them, not towards them). :D

ar, I have to keep on with the review as that is how I am programmed. I start with the intention of finishing it as quickly as possible, but as fully as possible within the parameters and metrics of my core competencies and takeaways.

Once finished I can get on with all the back burner issues and return to a normal life. I read a lot of reviews (if there are photos in them) and some have just stopped in their tracks as the writer has other fish to fry (often halibut)

Thanks as always for being a contributor to my "things". Although I would still do it (write every day possible) if there was no response from anyone and every post was mine, it makes it a pleasure, not a slog, to know that it is being read and enjoyed by people like yourself.

Cheers!

Norris

Very much enjoyed the videos Norris.

I am afraid I cannot go on this excursion bc I would want to bring all the dogs home with me. Think Princess would allow for that?

I, too agree, the unhuman people that harm, or even allow that idea to enter their head to do harm to innocent children or pets need to be lock under the ground and the key tossed in a fire hole to melt.

It just makes me sick to know these horrible people live among us everyday and everyplace.

Ok... whew, glad that is off my chest!

I do love your review. I know Carol is also a big part of keeping track with notes. Thank you both.

Sandra

Thanks for continuing to read and follow along Sandra!

Yes I rely on Carol's iPhone notes to fill in the details. The photos provide the timeline but I can't tell exactly what's on our dinner plates or the names of people or how long things took etc. Carol takes notes on our garden too so we know when things were planted, when they bloomed, when they went dormant and so on. Very organized is she.

She is a very busy woman and is way behind on reading this review but she is off today and I am sure will sit in the garden and catch up on her iPad.

Norris

We did not take the dog cart ride, we just saw the dogs lined up, leaving, and returning, and heard their excitement when it was their turn. We have a Rhodesian ridgeback, and when she gets a yearn to run, it is like watching a small racehorse. She gets a lot of attention at the dog park.

It was not raining when we were there...a bit cool but I don't think it rained. In Juneau, on the other hand, it poured several times, including at sail-away as we pulled away (over 30 min late) just as a woman came running from a taxi cab. She re-joined the ship in Skagway.

Libby Riddles did a presentation on our ship as well, but we missed it in favor of the folkloric guy, who told stories, sang, and quoted Robert Service poems, but not as well as my dad.

I am all for ships pulling away on time rather than delaying 99.9% of the passengers and incurring financial penalties. Always Be Early!

Would you take the dog sled ride next time after seeing the video?

I saw a few minutes of a folkloric guy, Steve Hites, with his guitar but that was in Skagway. Very compelling storyteller. He came on board in port and played in the Vista to a packed room then left before we sailed.

Norris

Hi Norris

Phew!!! Caught up at last. Read your beautifully written and photographed travelogue on celebrity X (finished that two days ago) . I was disappointed to finish it and was addicted to your style and humour.

I was very excited to learn that you were in the process of "publishing" your next adventure back on Princess ,your first love.

I have lurked in the shadows long enough without congratulating you on the magnificent achievement your writings are.

I have cruised only twice before ,both times on Sun Princess to Alaska and the Caribbean and loved that ship.

Next week I set out on the Celebrity Eclipse to the Canaries. When I back I will have the remainder of your adventures to catch up on till I have the complete set.

My compliments

Ken

Ken, I am always delighted to hear from a Londoner as I lived in that great city from 1970 to 72 and then again from 74 to 86 when I came to America via RCCL.

I'm glad you read my Celebrity Silhouette review as I really enjoyed that ship and itinerary. More X coming up in January when we sail on the Reflection.

Sun Princess lives so far away I doubt if I will sail on her.

I see you have been on CC for a long time but haven't posted much so I am very flattered that you took the time to express your enjoyment of my reviews. I look forward to writing each day, to share the great things we see on our trips and hopefully to impart some tidbits of useful info along the way so it's very gratifying to see that people feel compelled to read along until the end.

So thank you.

Enjoy the beautiful Eclipse!

Norris (former resident of East Dulwich, close to Mrs Thatcher)

Beautiful displays of flowers on the wooden boardwalk in Juneau

29581218783_3bd49d2b68_b.jpg

29581211194_06e9034b6c_b.jpg

In the distance MS Amsterdam

30125456121_8b5cc38b03_b.jpg

For those who don't book a Princess excursion there is a row of booths selling tours by local operators on the dock.

29581217604_1b576fa8e3_b.jpg

We use the bathrooms right next to the Tramway building before going in to begin our next adventure.

"$33 each to ride the tram up there?!", I gasped, suffering from sticker shock.

Yep, but we're here and there will be a nice view of the port from up there.

The ticket is good for the day if you want to go up in the morning and then repeat later in the afternoon. There are shops and a restaurant up there and Nature Trails, which I'd like to walk next time.

There was a line of people once we got in the door. They already had their tickets and were waiting for a tram. No line at the ticket counter so we ponied up and joined the tram line.

There was a good totem pole that Carol asked me to photograph as her lens couldn't fit it in the frame. I used the 10-22mm.

29914525710_76db9a75be_b.jpg

30210452945_a392bf6539_b.jpg

30125482621_768939471e_b.jpg

30095951112_d31398d9fd_b.jpg

Norwegian Pearl has joined us

29581261843_76dd4afeea_b.jpg

30175950296_346218b1ca_b.jpg

Once off the tram we moved across to the return line as Carol had no interest in visiting the shops nor eating here on this visit. I had Trident Grill in mind anyway.

We rode back down to sea level 1800 feet below.

Here's a brief video of the tram ride up and down. The main voice you'll hear amidst the babble is our Alaskan tram operator.

[YOUTUBE]Hx95PpQUgyE[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

30125531061_d1db1aef07_b.jpg

We stopped at a gift shop to get a fridge magnet

29581286473_cf59d0893d_b.jpg

Once back on the ship just before 4 pm I dropped the camera bag off in the cabin where I charged up my batteries.

As we hadn't ordered Afternoon Tea today Carol decided to join me at the Trident Grill. She ordered what I had-the Knockwurst , sauerkraut and fries and was Knocked out by the Knockwurst. Such a great lunch spot!

Carol slipped away for a nice long nap in the quiet of the harbor and I enjoyed a... LATE BREAKING NEWS....Guinness. I reflected on our great excursion and beamed at the thought of the cool things we are offered in these Alaskan ports. Even though there are only 3 ports that we visit before Whittier the possibilities are endless-take a float plane, land on a lake, have a crab lunch in a rustic lodge? Sure! Sign me up! Go fishing for salmon?

Sounds amazing! Lumberjack show? Cool. Deadliest Catch tour? Next time!

Everyone on shore is friendly as they are in the tourist industry and this is their summer income before the short cold dark days of winter descend. Most will be gone back home to the lower 48 states but the Alaskans have to stay put until next May.

Without the camera clicking away there is no way for me to keep track of my timeline until the next time the shutter opens.

Suffice it to say that I too had a nap. A deep descent into a cavern of sleep.

I am lucky in that I fall asleep in the blink of an eye and I feel for anyone who has trouble falling asleep.

It will be dark by the time we awake. The plan tonight is for Carol to attend the show Motor City while I mosey around. I like the show having seen it before but the Vista Lounge is just all wrong to me for such a high-action show like this. It deserves a big stage. I will work on my photos and have a drink and a smoke in Shooters Bar, next to the Princess Theater entrance on deck 6. I'll show you that later when I roam the early morning decks. It was usually a hang-out for Officers and cruise staff.

So when I come back I'll have the rest of the evening in photos and video including one of my favorite subjects-ships lit up at night. Then a nice MDR dinner where the name Curtis Stone is on the menu and I have to try it...

All caught up on your review Norris; most excellent reading and photos. We had a wonderful vacation along the PCH and redwoods and everything in between. Never enough time though as we both have jobs and animals to get back to. Every stop and city it seems like we say "when we come back".

I would really like to return to Alaska; I will have to dwell. So many places to see so little time. But i would love to do the Misty Fjords tour. That is right up my alley. We love nature and quiet; no rowdy party boats for us. Your eagle pic is truly stunning.

I am such an animal lover. The dogs at the dog camp look happy and that is their job. I am with you Norris; why do people with big/active dogs have them in an apartment? We have 5 acres where we live; plenty of room to roam. And our kitties inside are most spoiled.

Reading along Norris and totally enjoying every moment! Thank you again for all your time and work!

Carol

Please don't forget the International Cafe and Vines. We have been regulars at the Cafe on past cruises. Got to get that morning coffee!

I took some pics at both venues but didn't really eat or drink. Carol used the IC often and enjoys it. The coffee at the IC is too weak for my taste. I need to be slapped silly by the caffeine in the mornings. My usual tipple in Starbucks is a quad espresso...but their coffee is somewhat bitter. I go bonkers in Italy where the coffee is flavorful and smooth.

I do like the chicken or shrimp salads at the IC and the fact that it is 24 hours is a real winner although these days I prefer to go to bed early so I can wake really early. I have told myself to use the IC more on my next Princess cruise. I need a pre-buffet breakfast-something in flaky pastry before my buffet protein breakfast and my MDR pancakes/oatmeal. Do you know if the IC sells Napoleons? I can eat my weight (155 lbs) in those. Also chocolate eclairs are a weakness.

If the IC had hot sausage rolls...Brit readers will know what I am talking about.

Thanks for continuing to read- White Pass railroad and Glaciers aren't far away.

Norris

All caught up on your review Norris; most excellent reading and photos. We had a wonderful vacation along the PCH and redwoods and everything in between. Never enough time though as we both have jobs and animals to get back to. Every stop and city it seems like we say "when we come back".

I would really like to return to Alaska; I will have to dwell. So many places to see so little time. But i would love to do the Misty Fjords tour. That is right up my alley. We love nature and quiet; no rowdy party boats for us. Your eagle pic is truly stunning.

I am such an animal lover. The dogs at the dog camp look happy and that is their job. I am with you Norris; why do people with big/active dogs have them in an apartment? We have 5 acres where we live; plenty of room to roam. And our kitties inside are most spoiled.

Reading along Norris and totally enjoying every moment! Thank you again for all your time and work!

Carol

Carol if you are all caught up then I need to write more!

Jobs and animals calling you home....don't we know it. We have a good cat sitting service though where the guy they send writes Carol an email each day and shows us a picture of Snowy-always the same (stock footage?), hiding in the boxspring of the bed.

Someday you'll tune in to a Bimmer09 review of an Alaskan Cruisetour or 12 day U.K and Iceland or Singapore to Sydney....sigh.

We have just touched the surface of Redwood idolatry with a visit to Muir Woods but any rich stand of trees is soothing and comforting. We need to escape stone, glass, concrete and diesel at any opportunity.

Today we are in our pin-drop home in Michigan where the only "noise" is birds.

An outdoor fireplace will be lit at sunset over beautiful Lake Michigan as we listen to the waves lapping the beach 100 feet below.

Dogs need the wind in their hair and grass under their feet too. The big dogs in apartments may be a symbol to others- I have a cool breed, just as I have a cool iPhone case, car, Gucci bag, whatever.I can't imagine though that anyone buys a dog that they don't like the look or temperament of. I imagine the bigger the dog the more exercise it should have to stay healthy but then I am not a vet nor a dog owner.

I come from a small fishing village in Northern Ireland where I don't believe I ever saw a dog on a leash....but that was a very long time ago.

Glad you had a great trip while I was typing away on this!

Norris

Night falls in Juneau

29581293803_aa0018c059_b.jpg

Norwegian Jewel

29581300704_833f549a62_b.jpg

I pop into the Princess Theater for a few minutes to listen to Libby

29581307154_7ac369edd5_b.jpg

There's a Moose race in the Piazza

30175990766_e710971396_b.jpg

And stop in vista Lounge for a few moments to hear Motor City. It is packed and even the Captain had to stand.

29581320294_8b2a64ce76_b.jpg

30096045092_8542573f34_b.jpg

Around 8.30 we let go the ropes (actually the crew winches them on board as they are reusable and we'll need them again) and push away from the dock.

30125580391_1b9222f805_b.jpg

30210552275_7b0f249018_b.jpg

30096057322_6ec6128311_b.jpg

30096061412_e0431a202f_b.jpg

A 180 turn and we headed back down the channel to the open sea. It was time to meet Carol at Portofino for a slap-up feed so I headed down from 14 in the glass-walled elevator to the Piazza, deck 6. On my way I saw this horrifying sight-a brown bear had managed to come aboard and was dancing to some disco music before surely eating the other dancers. The elevator didn't allow me to get a clear shot at the savage beast with my service revolver. I hoped he wasn't hungry...

30210560345_903027f151_b.jpg

Meanwhile I was hungry and Portofino was just around the corner...

Hi Norris,

Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying your post. I've read most of your posts and reviews on Cruise Critic, and find this one to be just as great as all your other posts. We're taking our 4th Alaska cruise in 2017, so this is just what I need right now.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Mark

Hi Norris,

Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying your post. I've read most of your posts and reviews on Cruise Critic, and find this one to be just as great as all your other posts. We're taking our 4th Alaska cruise in 2017, so this is just what I need right now.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Mark

Mark, great to see you again!

4th Alaska? I need to catch up!

You've read most of my reviews? Check the list and make sure you didn't miss one LOL!

Hard work? -you are welcome, my friend.

Norris