Snorkel Gear?

The_ZOO

Hi, I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. For those of you that have your own snorkel gear and bring it with you what brand do you have? I was hoping to give my husband a gift card for xmas so he can order a set to bring with us on our February cruise, we don't have a dive shop near us.

What is best depends on the person. Scuba.com has the best selection and best prices. Encourage him to order one of their Snorkel vests. They are great and the best deal around. Many excursions require a vest. For fins he may want full foot or not. as for masks there as a many choices and colors as anyone could want. For the snorkel itself they have a great selection of very good purge valve units for about $30. Make sure he checks their daily specials.:)

Hi, I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. For those of you that have your own snorkel gear and bring it with you what brand do you have? I was hoping to give my husband a gift card for xmas so he can order a set to bring with us on our February cruise, we don't have a dive shop near us.

I purchased 3 sets of US Divers from Walmart. Mask & snorkel only, no fins. About $20 per set. They are wonderful! We bought a mesh bag at the $ store. We've taken them on 5 trips so far, including a land trip to Maui.

I highly recommend these fins: http://m.swimoutlet.com/p/us-divers-trek-travel-fins-8135035/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=9325&size=11017&gclid=CLus97f5mc8CFVVahgodg5cMvw

They are compact in size, which is great for traveling. They take up less space in your luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would skip the fins. They are bulky in your luggage and usually you can rent some pretty cheap when in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good suggestion - you certainly want your own snorkel - rather than use something that's been in a hundred mouths, and your own mask will fit better than any rental. Fins are pretty much the same anywhere, and take up a lot of luggage space --- and are always available.

We have Cressi gear and I think fins are worth taking along. Most companies have travel size fins if you are worried about luggage space. I think using fins that everyone else uses is just as gross as using a snorkel. Feet are so gross and who knows what foot fungus the prior user had. I'll gladly make space in my luggage for my full size fins.

if you do not go to a shop where you can try on the gear you are wasting your time or don't care

If investing more that $20 in a mask or fins or even a snorkel (a pretty simple piece of technology until someone complicates it) and you do not try on for fit you waste your $$ IMO

There is one thing that can REALLY screw up a snorkel trip IMO and that is a mask that leaks ...... and not all masks are the same cuz not all face shapes are the same .....

if you want to buy toy masks and accept what you get .... go for it.

frustrated diver (since 1974) sends .....

Edited by Capt_BJ