Celebrity Solstice October Refresh Thread

Andy

We knew the Solstice Drydock was coming.... but now we have a tiny tease from Celebrity. It will be interesting to learn what recent Solstice guests are hearing onboard the ship. I'm wondering if Celebrity will share more hints of what's to come, and if it's safe to assume that what's ahead for Solstice, is a preview of what's ahead for the other S-Class ships.

Inquiring minds would love to know :)

Just got off the Solstice from Vancouver to Hawai'i. The senior staff on Solstice told us something a bit different than what is on the Facebook page. They said that only 10 days in drydock (maybe that means only 10 days out of the water) to service and do maintenance on azipod motors. They said nothing more of significance happening (maybe they don't classify loungers and movie screen as significant). I don't know how much of this is true, just repeating what I was told by staff on board.

Overall, the Solstice was in terrific shape and all the guests were having too much fun! 272 Germans on board as part of a promotion in Germany, most of them for 28 days from Vancouver to Sydney and most of them first timers on Celebrity! The ones we talked to said that Celebrity was MUCH better than MSC and Costa, which are popular in Germany.

Just got off the Solstice from Vancouver to Hawai'i. The senior staff on Solstice told us something a bit different than what is on the Facebook page. They said that only 10 days in drydock (maybe that means only 10 days out of the water) to service and do maintenance on azipod motors. They said nothing more of significance happening (maybe they don't classify loungers and movie screen as significant). I don't know how much of this is true, just repeating what I was told by staff on board.

Overall, the Solstice was in terrific shape and all the guests were having too much fun! 272 Germans on board as part of a promotion in Germany, most of them for 28 days from Vancouver to Sydney and most of them first timers on Celebrity! The ones we talked to said that Celebrity was MUCH better than MSC and Costa, which are popular in Germany.

Would be interested to see if the Germans live up to their international reputation of being pool chair hogs ie putting their gear on the chairs early in the morning but not using them until later in the day

I guess for the Australia itinerary the Taste of Film is nice addition. However, for Alaska - how will they pull off dinner if it's like 40s - 50s?

"A taste of pneumonia..."

And the new pic thing - I have never seen a professional cruise pic that wasn't a candidate for "awkward family photos".

Well, the good thing is apparently Solstice ain't broken so not much to fix.

Would be interested to see if the Germans live up to their international reputation of being pool chair hogs ie putting their gear on the chairs early in the morning but not using them until later in the day

I don't know if Germans are chair hogs or not, but what I can tell you is that about 50% of pool loungers were available at all times.

........ I look forward to see how one can enjoy food and movies on the lawn without bringing ones food from the Oceanview café or mast grill........

Not sure if they'll run other movies or sports there during the daytime..and how that might affect enjoyment of the Alcoves/cabanas.........

There is another post also on here copied from Facebook about the cabanas and movies not impacting on each other.

From what I can see from a concept design photo added to an item off the "news" tab here on Cruise Critic, I think the movies will be on Solstice Deck 16 forward. in the concept design photo it shows the navigation equipment ball in the background which from memory is on Deck 16 .

There is another post also on here copied from Facebook about the cabanas and movies not impacting on each other.

From what I can see from a concept design photo added to an item off the "news" tab here on Cruise Critic, I think the movies will be on Solstice Deck 16 forward. in the concept design photo it shows the navigation equipment ball in the background which from memory is on Deck 16 .

mmmm - just re-looked at the news item I was referring to and the link of the photo I was talking about is related to March regarding Millenium Class ships .... and the main item regarding Solstice refit does mention lawn club - my thoughts therefore of it being on deck 16 is likely incorrect.

Will be interesting to see the new refits when we are on board for the Repo from Sydney to Hawaii this coming April.

Coming from a part of the world where short arms and deep pockets are bred into us I cant see too many Aussies and Kiwis paying extra for cabanas when there are plenty of other options open to us

I should be offended you are saying we are all tight with our money...but just for the record - I won't be paying for a cabana:D

I should be offended you are saying we are all tight with our money...but just for the record - I won't be paying for a cabana:D

Hi Cookie,

Given the ANZAC tradition I think that its fair BeanB41 has lumped us together, cos when its the world v us, I'll gladly have a Kiwi by my side...except for the rugby world cup, Bledisloe etc when of course you & I will barrack for the Wallabies and any other team playing the All Blacks! :D

Being new to the cruise game, and a little less to do with short arm/deep pocket syndrome, with all the areas on the ship I can see little interest in parting with US$150 or more importantly AUD$211 to have a cabana for the day....plenty of other spaces I would have thought or even your own balcony. US$150 would by a fair swag of booze or specialty dining etc me thinks, however each to their own...Happy Daze

Cheers

US $150 goes a long way towards offsetting the solo supplement I have to pay! It's put me off going in the past but I'm going to go and will pay it.

I have to cruise on a budget. Not only would I lose self respect if I didn't but I need to have funds to pay for the next one [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well her drydock stint is truly underway! Here's a few shots of her getting a good scrub down....no interior shots yet. Looking forward to seeing if there are any 'surprise' changes not included on the 'marketing' release in a few days time !! Will try and post some first hand shots, internet access prevailing!

36492db5bf01f45fc9a864ea741ccdd3.jpg

e73f562cc833c8c386a401240ae3728a.jpg

f1643063d5d43ab441c2c1ecf1c925f3.jpg

510de40451716733b3f06c3545e08cc4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Well her drydock stint is truly underway! Here's a few shots of her getting a good scrub down....no interior shots yet. Looking forward to seeing if there are any 'surprise' changes not included on the 'marketing' release in a few days time !! Will try and post some first hand shots

Thanks for the pics QE2_Fan, looking forward to any more updates.... and to see them first hand in a month's time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our ship has arrived! Just docked about an 1 hour ago, here's a couple of shots including a close up of the new cabanas and TV screen in the Lawn Club area.

Sorry for quality, taken from our balcony at Marina Bay Sands and is very humid/hazy today in Singapore.

Also docked this morning is Royal's Mariner of the Seas.

8fa09570083a1deff328ac9b35cc70a8.jpgcf3e57a770db77e59f9af092230369b3.jpgf915e015196a422c5a884d2d26ead5e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this pic, wow, Solstice got herself a movie screen. With the new cabana's the lawn area should be much better utilised. Although the Sunset bar was popular, the grass area adjacent to hot glass show was very quiet on a 12 day I took last year, even though the weather was mostly perfect.

Thanks for this pic, wow, Solstice got herself a movie screen. With the new cabana's the lawn area should be much better utilised. Although the Sunset bar was popular, the grass area adjacent to hot glass show was very quiet on a 12 day I took last year, even though the weather was mostly perfect.

And a Tiffany's ...squeal :)

I read they were replacing the balcony furniture in the suites. If anyone on board has pictures can you please post? I would love to see what they have done.

Currently in an aft Sky suite, no new balcony furniture here.

I'm currently onboard with my daughter. Having a great time. We're in a concierge balcony room and the one thing I can say is that the balconies could really use some new furniture.

I think it was only in suites. We are not in one but next to a Celebrity Suite. Furniture still same, and to me looks like it DOES need replacing. Also chairs in Ocean View were not updated, but many need it. 096c4955b366f909e8c8bccea76ee61c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk