Chic Attire?

Sunnydale

We usually sail with Royal Caribbean, but next month moving over to Celebrity (eastern med on the Silhouette) and the 'Chic Nights' will be new experience.

As I understand it, the idea is that while no strict dress code is in force it is expected that people will not be in casual attire and dress smartly.

No problem with that, but as we are flying to the port luggage has limitations and do not want to bring unnecessary options 'just in case'.

How do the majority dress, lounge suits with or without a tie? smart trousers with an open top shirt? I know the idea is that we wear what we feel comfortable in, but in reality we will feel more comfortable if we blend in the the majority.

We usually sail with Royal Caribbean, but next month moving over to Celebrity (eastern med on the Silhouette) and the 'Chic Nights' will be new experience.

As I understand it, the idea is that while no strict dress code is in force it is expected that people will not be in casual attire and dress smartly.

No problem with that, but as we are flying to the port luggage has limitations and do not want to bring unnecessary options 'just in case'.

How do the majority dress, lounge suits with or without a tie? smart trousers with an open top shirt? I know the idea is that we wear what we feel comfortable in, but in reality we will feel more comfortable if we blend in the the majority.

Hello,

Welcome to Celebrity. Have taken a few cruises with this new dress code. We typically sail in a suite. I have noticed that most men wear jackets and ties, perhaps very few wear tux's today. Ladies all over the place, much fewer long gowns, but typically cocktail attire. You will find a few eating at the buffet who will not dress up at all. Not sure what a lounge suit is? Typically a festive evening for all.

As a fellow Brit, I actually enjoy the opportunity to dress "up" rather than "down". On our last cruise in June I still wore a dinner suit and did not feel out of place. There were three chic nights, so for one of them I just wore a linen jacket. I don't mind wearing a dinner suit complete with bow tie, but there's no way I'd wear a tie (too much like being in my office!!!)

Basically anything goes, but I do suspect that European sailings will be that bit more formal than those sailing out of the USA.

Guess I'll find out over the next few months!

My husband and adult son have found the M&S soft touch shirts ideal for chic cruising...great open necked most nights and look really smart with a tie or/and jacket on chic nights. They don't crease when travelling and dry with no ironing needed if you need to freshen them up mid cruise! We have tried other brands of soft touch shirts and they are just not as good! (No shares in M&S by the way).

So the men need less shirts this means more suitcase space for us ladies to pack a long and a short cocktail dress so we can just decide on the night how dressy we want to be! We have done 2 cruises since chic was introduced, the dress was quite a lot less formal on our Caribbean cruise than our other one...I don't know if this is a general trend...

.........How do the majority dress, lounge suits with or without a tie? smart trousers with an open top shirt? I know the idea is that we wear what we feel comfortable in, but in reality we will feel more comfortable if we blend in the the majority.

If you are using the traditional definition of "majority" meaning more than half, so far we have seen no majority style of dress on chic nights on Celebrity cruises as the styles of dress were too diverse.

What we have observed is essentially just as Cruise Junky describes:

OP, you'll see it all. Tuxes, suits, jackets and ties, jackets no ties, no jackets, etc.

On chic nights we have seen basically the same mixture of different styles of dress that is seen these days when dining out at nice restaurants in major cosmopolitan cities:

some diners all dressed up, as though celebrating a special occasion,

some who were dressed very casually,

and others wearing just about anything and everything in the wide range in between.

You will fit in nicely and won't stick out whatever you choose to wear, as long as it is not something either outrageously "over the top" or "under the bottom." ;)

Edited by varoo

I think we should all just do what we are most comfortable with and accept the guidelines that the chic nights are the chance to just push a little above the standard smart casual.

Our party of 20 on the next cruise will be in an assortment of tux, black tie or jackets and ties and long dresses/cocktail for the ladies. We all like to dress up a little once in a while :)