Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

You can still buy trip insurance to protect yourselves if you are getting stressed out!

My understanding is you CANNOT buy trip insurance if there is a named storm in the area. Actually, the same is true for home insurance.

That's what has happened to me. I booked late in the game, then waited a few days to get insurance. When I called yesterday my insurance agent said I booked the day after Andrew was a named stormed. My fault for not checking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what has happened to me. I booked late in the game, then waited a few days to get insurance. When I called yesterday my insurance agent said I booked the day after Andrew was a named stormed. My fault for not checking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many times are you going to get the name wrong? ;)

Edited by ColinIllinois

You're asking about extremely rare circumstances that very few, if any people here, have experienced. Other than the recent Hermine that hit the Panhandle, the last real hurricane of significance to hit Florida was Wilma 11 years ago. Before that was Andrew 24 years ago. To give you any kind of real answers about where the storm is going to go, what the damage is to what and where and then what will be NCL's response is simply impossible. Any responses you get are pure conjecture and unreliable.

There was quite a hurricane called Charley in 2004. You may have forgotten it, but those of us on the West Coast have not.;)

I'm mentally preparing for the possibility that we won't make it to Miami even if Escape does leave as scheduled this Saturday. We are flying standby (hubby is airline pilot) and all the flights are oversold on Friday and Saturday.

If you haven't already, check your flights out for cancelations!

As for us, time to check out flights to St. Thomas :)

Thanks! Actually was thinking we would meet up with the ship at St Thomas, the first port stop. I'm sure we could think of something to do with ourselves while we wait :D

There are people who have lost, and will lose, their lives before this hurricane is over. Gotta keep it all in perspective.

My wife and I are not what you would call regular cruisers, in fact this will only be our third and the first with NCL. This was a last minute trip decision and we booked the Escape for 10/8.

Of course we never even thought to look for pending storms (like I said, not experienced cruisers) and just booked this trip last Friday 9/30. I did buy insurance but after checking, they say that since we bought on 9/30 and the storm was named on 9/28 we are SOL.

I don't trust that the airlines will be flying to Miami on Friday so I am now leaving tomorrow afternoon and driving part of the roughly 1200 mile trip.

My plan is to get to south Georgia tomorrow night and then go the rest of the way to Miami on Friday. I am just hoping that if I stay on I-75 along the west coast, I can make it through on Friday.

I know, lots of people are in the same boat (no pun intended). Hopefully all will work out well and we will get to experience a cruise on NCL.

Wish us luck!

My wife and I are not what you would call regular cruisers, in fact this will only be our third and the first with NCL. This was a last minute trip decision and we booked the Escape for 10/8.

Of course we never even thought to look for pending storms (like I said, not experienced cruisers) and just booked this trip last Friday 9/30. I did buy insurance but after checking, they say that since we bought on 9/30 and the storm was named on 9/28 we are SOL.

I don't trust that the airlines will be flying to Miami on Friday so I am now leaving tomorrow afternoon and driving part of the roughly 1200 mile trip.

My plan is to get to south Georgia tomorrow night and then go the rest of the way to Miami on Friday. I am just hoping that if I stay on I-75 along the west coast, I can make it through on Friday.

I know, lots of people are in the same boat (no pun intended). Hopefully all will work out well and we will get to experience a cruise on NCL.

Wish us luck!

Good Luck to all!! I consider myself a "seasoned" cruiser and didn't see this coming. I booked 3 weeks out and did not buy insurance. My flight from NJ has been canceled twice already. Now flying into Tampa Friday and driving to Fort Lauderdale to relax at the hotel we booked before the cruise. I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can under the circumstances...most importantly that everyone keeps their cool! :)

I have cousins (who are brothers), named Andrew and Matthew :(

We are looking at driving down now from NJ for the 10/8 sailing. Will decide for sure tomorrow morning...

TO EVERYONE PLANNING TO DRIVE...

The southern coast of South Carolina and the entire coast of Georgia are also under evacuation. There are lane reversals in effect to move traffic away from the coast. Coming from further north on the east coast, you may want to come inland and take I-85 to route through Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta and then pick up I-75. There is very little rain currently predicted for this route, and no significant wind. If you do decide to keep to I-95 you are within the cone of possibility for Matthew as you move into South Carolina (as of Wednesday night models). Keep plenty of gas in the tank and an eye on the Weather Channel if you choose this route. The storm will be in South Carolina and Georgia Friday-Saturday, about the time you're passing through.

Keep in mind almost all hotels in the midlands to upstate of South Carolina are booked by evacuees. I'm sure there is a similar situation in Georgia.

And of course, all of this depends on what Matthew does on the Florida coast. In all cases, be wise and be safe. And keep in mind all of the evacuees who will be sharing the road with you.

Wish us luck!

You should be fine on the west coast. You will love Escape and have a great cruise.

For those of you beating up on David Sobe, he is right. Miami is not even under a hurricane watch, it is passing them. There might be high winds but not on Saturday. Escape will sail.

And Lido Deck, whats your deal, lots of people on this board are from Florida. We can certainly remember bad hurricanes. In 2004 I got hit by 3 of them, Charley was a category 4. So while rare, they're not THAT rare if you're a Floridian who grew up on the coast.

(Updated 4:15 p.m. EDT) -- Five U.S. cruise ports have shut down as a result of the imminent threat of Hurricane Matthew, which is expected to approach Florida's east coast Thursday evening.

Port Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, the port of Jacksonville and the port of Charleston have closed to all marine traffic until further notice. A number of cruise ship itineraries have been affected.

The ports, with the exception of Charleston, are operating under the U.S. Coast Guard's Port Condition Yankee, which prevents vessels from entering and remaining in port. It's issued when gale-force hurricane winds are expected within 24 hours.

According to a statement released by the Coast Guard, a Condition Zulu (full lockdown) is anticipated by 10 p.m. Wednesday. Zulu prepares for hurricane conditions within 12 hours.

Hurricane Matthew, which has caused widespread devastation in Haiti, is heading toward the Bahamas and is due to affect Florida with heavy rainfall, strong winds and flooding.

"This is a serious storm, and the protection of people and property is our primary concern," Port Canaveral CEO John Murray said in a statement. "We expect high winds and storm surge throughout the port and have urged the Port community to prepare their facilities so business can resume as quickly as possible after the storm."

It is not clear whether the ports will remain closed. If they do, the ships will either be forced to stay at sea or head to another port farther up the coast. The cruise ports advise booked passengers to contact the cruise lines for itinerary changes caused by port closures.

Cruise Critic is in contact with the lines and cruise ports, and will continue to update this story as more information becomes available. See below for the most up-to-date status of cruise ports in the storm's projected path.

I read that also. That zulu and closing was when they thought it was hitting Miami and coming a day earlier, I am sure they will be open on Saturday. Matthew is now further up, hitting straight at me unfortunately . Port Canaveral will not be open for a few days.

Since they will close highways and you cannot get gas when you enter Florida not a good idea to drive. Also heard many highways will be oneway. Once in Florida, where do you park your car? Also will the ship sail to Canada? Sounds like many islands might have sustained damage. Do you think that the cruise might be cancelled? Not worth putting yourself in harms way. I would take the loss.

Since they will close highways and you cannot get gas when you enter Florida not a good idea to drive. Also heard many highways will be oneway. Once in Florida, where do you park your car? Also will the ship sail to Canada? Sounds like many islands might have sustained damage. Do you think that the cruise might be cancelled? Not worth putting yourself in harms way. I would take the loss.

Other than Nassau, other escape ports are unaffected.

The sky did a western Carib this week.

Gas is already gone from some of the stations on the east coast, and the west coast hotels are filling up from news reports. 1.5 million floridians are under evacuation orders. I'm not sure where the person saying Miami is not going to get hit lives in FL, but this storm is very large. Miami is under an orange warning which is a hurricane watch. Most of the peninsula of FL is under a tropical storm watch to hurricane warning and will have some effects from this storm in rain and high winds. Those of us who escaped Charley b/c it took a quick turn lower than expected know how quickly a storm's track can change; so, I would be very wary of saying that Miami was going to be safe and fine and/or even trying to drive in to get to any of the ports. I hope that the track veers east and all of FL will be left alone, but with a storm this strong, I would recommend playing it safe.

And Lido Deck, whats your deal, lots of people on this board are from Florida. We can certainly remember bad hurricanes. In 2004 I got hit by 3 of them, Charley was a category 4. So while rare, they're not THAT rare if you're a Floridian who grew up on the coast.

What's my deal?

In 2004 George W. Bush was running for a second term against John Kerry and I wasn't living in Florida. It was 12 years ago, so my point still stands.

What's your deal?