No extension cords thru Celebrity security

Debordo

Please let me know if anyone hears anything about surge protectors. We each have our own computer tablet, cell phone, etc, so carry a multi outlet surge protector with us to keep electronics charged.

thanks,

Cheryl Corcoran

Last year on the Silhouette I attempted to bring a surge protector, it was confiscated, no extension chords or surge protector, it doesn't make a difference. :(

Last year on the Silhouette I attempted to bring a surge protector, it was confiscated, no extension chords or surge protector, it doesn't make a difference. :(

I wonder why Celebrity is so adamant on this issue. I've carried both a regular extension cord (not a power strip) and a small surge protector on several other cruise lines without ever a comment. I never leave them plugged in and only use them at night for my CPAP. I've never had a problem before.

Please let me know if anyone hears anything about surge protectors. We each have our own computer tablet, cell phone, etc, so carry a multi outlet surge protector with us to keep electronics charged.

thanks,

Cheryl Corcoran

Never had a problem any where, especially on a cruise ship. We have traveled much of this planet.

Funny I had a multiple port travel adaptor from a well know travel accessories company. It was for 110-120, I forgot, and tried to use it in a adaptor for South Africa, it is now in electoral gadget heaven LOL.

I wonder why Celebrity is so adamant on this issue. I've carried both a regular extension cord (not a power strip) and a small surge protector on several other cruise lines without ever a comment. I never leave them plugged in and only use them at night for my CPAP. I've never had a problem before.

As I've stated before, it doesn't matter whether you unplug a surge protector when you're not in the cabin, or whether you use it at night, or whatever. Your surge protector can be working 100% correctly, and perfectly safe, until a deck light at the other end of the ship goes to ground, which subjects the semi-conductors in your surge protector to experience a reverse voltage, for which they are not designed, and which can cause failure of the semi-conductor into thermal runaway and fire. These fires are not exemplified by long term heating like normal electrical fires are, but the semi-conductor will almost instantaneously burn up and melt the surge protector housing, starting the fire.

While I understand people's desire to protect electronics, and recommend using a surge protector while travelling on land, note that none of the ship's vast array of electronics (POS registers, servers, bridge navigation equipment, safety equipment, engine room automation) is equipped with a surge protector, and I have been on several ships actually struck by lightning, and none of these systems were affected in the slightest. You also don't get the large voltage step down you do on land, from 12,000 volts at the pole to 240v going into the home, on ship's you step down in stages, from 10,000 volts to 480v, from 480v to 220v, and from 220v to 110v, so to get the 10,000 volts to your CPAP machine would require a minimum of 3 transformers to fail simultaneously.

Just to be clear, when someone posted Celebrity cruise took their extension cord or surge protector, they did give you back to you after the cruise right? I know Disney cruise takes them but they give it back to you after cruise. Is it the same with Celebrity? Or it is more like TSA style?

Just to be clear, when someone posted Celebrity cruise took their extension cord or surge protector, they did give you back to you after the cruise right? I know Disney cruise takes them but they give it back to you after cruise. Is it the same with Celebrity? Or it is more like TSA style?

Anything that they confiscate is returned to you at the end of your cruise, extension chords, surge protectors, clothing irons, etc.

As I've stated before, it doesn't matter whether you unplug a surge protector when you're not in the cabin, or whether you use it at night, or whatever. Your surge protector can be working 100% correctly, and perfectly safe, until a deck light at the other end of the ship goes to ground, which subjects the semi-conductors in your surge protector to experience a reverse voltage, for which they are not designed, and which can cause failure of the semi-conductor into thermal runaway and fire. These fires are not exemplified by long term heating like normal electrical fires are, but the semi-conductor will almost instantaneously burn up and melt the surge protector housing, starting the fire.

While I understand people's desire to protect electronics, and recommend using a surge protector while travelling on land, note that none of the ship's vast array of electronics (POS registers, servers, bridge navigation equipment, safety equipment, engine room automation) is equipped with a surge protector, and I have been on several ships actually struck by lightning, and none of these systems were affected in the slightest. You also don't get the large voltage step down you do on land, from 12,000 volts at the pole to 240v going into the home, on ship's you step down in stages, from 10,000 volts to 480v, from 480v to 220v, and from 220v to 110v, so to get the 10,000 volts to your CPAP machine would require a minimum of 3 transformers to fail simultaneously.

I appreciate your willingness to explain this over and over for people.

• 6 months later...
Unfortunately, here is an example of where a technical person has either not read the USCG Safety Notice, or not understood it's full implications, nor explained it correctly.

The USCG Safety Notice mentions two problems with consumer power strips with surge protectors. One is the presence of surge protectors, which are not required on ships (not a single one is used for the multitude of ship's electronics, including the navigation and engineering automation systems), and which can fail and cause a fire due to reverse voltages.

The second problem comes about with even a typical US consumer power strip, even without a surge protector, or what the Safety Notice calls "inexpensive" power strips. These power strips have a circuit breaker only on one leg of the power circuit (the "hot" leg), but assume that the other leg (the "neutral" leg) is at the same voltage as ground, so there is no need to interrupt this wire when an overcurrent situation happens (short circuit). Because on ships, the "neutral" leg is not at the same voltage (potential) as ground, in a short circuit situation, current can continue to flow in the neutral wire even if the "hot" leg has tripped the circuit breaker.

This is what the electrician meant about "inexpensive" power strips, but while they are a small danger, the ship's circuit breaker is a two pole breaker and will protect the wiring even if the power strip doesn't. The better alternative is to use a "European" 220v power strip, which typically has a circuit breaker on both legs.

However, while the danger from a single leg circuit breaker in a consumer power strip is relatively minor, the danger from a surge suppressor is far greater, and this electrician should not have allowed the power strip to be used. Here is a post from a CC member, who questioned my insistance that surge protectors not be used onboard ships, who had an electrical engineering background, and who went and did research and posted his findings and his support of my stance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

Question for the electrical engineer.

If one uses a 220/110 step down voltage regulator on a European plug can it be safe to plug in a 110 US type extension cord 14G even if not on a ship.

Edited by scapel

Question for the electrical engineer.

If one uses a 220/110 step down voltage regulator on a European plug can it be safe to plug in a 110 US type extension cord 14G even if not on a ship.

I would have to say that will depend on the type of extension cord and what you are using it for. While I see no problem with using a "flat" "lamp cord" type of 14Ga extension cord for low wattage items like a CPAP or USB charging, I wouldn't recommend it for driving a 1500-1800 watt hair dryer, and particularly for any length of time. For higher wattage loads, using an SJOW type cord (think the heavier, round, outdoor extension cord) will handle higher currents for longer times. Also, the length of the extension cord has a factor in how it handles current.

But, yes, using a step down transformer and extension cord is safe within limits.